Talley on team cohesion:

The Big Cat

Says there's no unity.

But suggests it's up to the players to buy-in:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/14/analysis-lack-of-discipline-lack-of-togetherness-feed-flag-filled-season/

This is a nice little piggy back to yesterday's coach vs. players crap storm.

And of course I think we all agree that the coach sets a tone.

But it seems that Talley is indicating that all the tone setting in the world doesn't matter diddly if players don't buy-in.

Yesterday we asked "who is the leader of this team in the locker room?" I had the same conversation with some off-board buddies and one of them specifically mentioned Talley saying the leader doesn't have to be the best player. Talley wasn't. But he was the undisputed leader of that defense.

From what I can tell, and from Talley verifies in the article, there is no unifying player in our locker room.

And that's a major problem, folks.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Says there's no unity.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/14/analysis-lack-of-discipline-lack-of-togetherness-feed-flag-filled-season/

But it seems that Talley is indicating that all the tone setting in the world doesn't matter diddly if players don't buy-in.

Yesterday we asked "who is the leader of this team in the locker room?" I had the same conversation with some off-board buddies and one of them specifically mentioned Talley saying the leader doesn't have to be the best player. Talley wasn't. But he was the undisputed leader of that defense.

From what I can tell, and from Talley verifies in the article, there is no unifying player in our locker room.

Did we have a leader in August?

I just did. Do you not understand?

No you didn't. You tried to be clever by asking a disputable question, like you always do. You never actually asserted anything, per always.

Go for it. Expressing yourself can be fun! Who do you think the leader was in August? If there was a point you intended to make, clarifying yourself would be critical first step!

I know this is a somewhat odd take but I continue to think that Mario Williams is part of the issue. He has a huge contract and is known for doing his own thing - playing his own music in his locker, etc. This team needs more Talleys and fewer Marios.

I totally agree. If we're going to talk about "tone setters," exactly what kind of "tone" is our $100Million Mario setting?

This came up again yesterday, so let me clarify. I could really care less about what he makes. But rest assured his team mates care. His salary directly impacts theirs.

Edited by The Big Cat

I know this is a somewhat odd take but I continue to think that Mario Williams is part of the issue. He has a huge contract and is known for doing his own thing - playing his own music in his locker, etc. This team needs more Talleys and fewer Marios.

The problem here is that we dont have a Talley on the Defensive unit to counteract Mario's Bruce Smith.

It should be Kyle, but he's been absent with his injury.

No you didn't. You tried to be clever by asking a disputable question, like you always do. You never actually asserted anything, per always.

Go for it. Expressing yourself can be fun! Who do you think the leader was in August? If there was a point you intended to make, clarifying yourself would be critical first step!

I totally agree. If we're going to talk about "tone setters," exactly what kind of "tone" is our $100Million Mario setting?

This came up again yesterday, so let me clarify. I could really care less about what he makes. But rest assured his team mates care. His salary directly impacts theirs.

Fred. I thought that was fairly obvious.

I'm assuming he meant FredEx...but Kyle Williams and/or Eric Wood I think would fit that role as well...

That's the safe assumption. I think that Fred was the undisputed locker room leader, and I don't think that Kyle or Wood carry that much heft inside. Looking at this roster, there isn't anyone who clearly jumps out on the roster to take the reigns.

I wonder if Tyrod will seize the opportunity next year?

It's actually kinda obvious he meant Fred.

I'm assuming he meant FredEx...but Kyle Williams and/or Eric Wood I think would fit that role as well...

I agree with what GG says below.

Fred. I thought that was fairly obvious.

I've always thought of him and Kyle Williams as a tandem.

That's the safe assumption. I think that Fred was the undisputed locker room leader, and I don't think that Kyle or Wood carry that much heft inside. Looking at this roster, there isn't anyone who clearly jumps out on the roster to take the reigns.

I wonder if Tyrod will seize the opportunity next year?

It sure seems like Tyrod is the next closest thing we have. But is it enough to inspire the defense too? I wonder how integrated the locker rooms are these days.

It sure seems like Tyrod is the next closest thing we have. But is it enough to inspire the defense too? I wonder how integrated the locker rooms are these days.

My sense is that it's usually one guy, and most of the time it's the QB. I don't look at it as inspiration of the different units, but setting the tone for the team, in practice and game day, etc. Like what Drury brought to the Sabres.

I think that's the one big part that people are missing with Fred's exit. It wasn't his on field contribution, but his presence on the team.

Says there's no unity.

so the Fred Jackson cut was a big deal!

Do any QB's who aren't historic inspire defenses? You don't hear too much about guys like Flacco lighting fires under the defense. Brady may do it.

My sense is that it's usually one guy, and most of the time it's the QB. I don't look at it as inspiration of the different units, but setting the tone for the team, in practice and game day, etc. Like what Drury brought to the Sabres.

I think that's the one big part that people are missing with Fred's exit. It wasn't his on field contribution, but his presence on the team.

so the Fred Jackson cut was a big deal!

I don't think we can definitively say that the vacuum of leadership left in Fred's absence would have made a measurable change to our team this year.

But it sure seems as thought it may have.

Still seems like a steep price to pay. I want to believe they tried to keep him as a coach, just to keep him in the locker room...