Talley on team cohesion:

The Big Cat

I will find it. I had doubts about Ryan from the start.

And as far as the current situation is concerned, I think a new DC should be brought in, and Rex should learn some new tricks, adapting to the players he has.

That would make six DC's in as many years. You don't honestly think that is more likely to be positive than continuity, do you?

Well I'm pretty darn sure the Patriots will find a way to overcome their injuries (there's been a ton of them), and at least play in the Superbowl. So injuries aren't everything.

Oh, sure. Use the team with the GOAT QB to make your point.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would make six DC's in as many years. You don't honestly think that is more likely to be positive than continuity, do you?

Oh, sure. Use the team with the GOAT QB to make your point.

Pettine may well be available. He wouldn't count as new, would he? He's a good coordinator.

Better than roster turnover.

But fine, keep Thurman the Puppet, and let Ryan and Thurman both learn new tricks. I prefer them having to change the scheme, than bringing in a new set of players for the current scheme.

I just think a new guy could help Ryan out with his new tricks, and Ryan could pay more attention to game management duties.

It ain't working, and I don't want to sit through more seasons of "learning". The defense had already learned a scheme just fine.

Pettine may well be available. He wouldn't count as new, would he? He's a good coordinator.

^^^^^^Yeah, Big Cat.

Edited by HoF Watkins

1. A missed tackle does not an overall poor defensive performance make. Had he made the tackle, Eli would have been held under 200 yards on the day.
  2. Okay, fine, that does virtually nothing to take away from any of my points.
  3. Quantifiably false:

@ChrisTrapasso

Perspective: In 2014: #Bills D starters missed total of 13 games due to injury. In 2015 thru Week 14: #Bills D starters have missed 29 games

I was just questioning if Aaron is that big of a loss that an excuse is needed for him. He didn't help us all that much in the little bit of time he did play. He too totally bought into the same hype that Mr. Big Stuff did.

Had Nigel made that tackle we would have still been in position to win the game if our Offense could do anything (which is a whole other story). One missed tackle can have a huge impact on the game as we saw. But, let's dismiss it as no biggee.

Call a 3 TD 24 point game a "stout performance" if you want. I don't. You have a different opinion on that. Cool.

Edited by reddogblitz

Why would he be a better fit for Rex?

and why would Pettine want to be under Rex's looming shadow again? Thats why he came to Buffalo.

anyone who is even slightly considering J S or M P playing Under Rex is just as silly as can be !

If it happens i will mail a case of preferred malted beverage to you Dave.

Thurman will be here unless Pegula and Whaley push super hard for it.

I can see some change in staff but not OC or DC.

How ya doin Danny Ole Boy? Hmmmm...

But fine, keep Thurman the Puppet, and let Ryan and Thurman both learn new tricks. I prefer them having to change the scheme, than bringing in a new set of players for the current scheme.

I just think a new guy could help Ryan out with his new tricks, and Ryan could pay more attention to game management duties.

It ain't working, and I don't want to sit through more seasons of "learning". The defense had already learned a scheme just fine.

^^^^^^Yeah, Big Cat.

well the scheme is a Changing. In fact its already begun.

Hello 3-4 hybrid.

whee..!

expect player changes at LB and D line.

well the scheme is a Changing. In fact its already begun.

Hello 3-4 hybrid.

whee..!

expect player changes at LB and D line.

I expect a complete "Ryanization" of the defense, but I'm gonna B word and moan, and say "I told you so" for the duration of this team's crappy performances.

Rex Ryan is on my **** list.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I expect a complete "Ryanization" of the defense, but I'm gonna B word and moan, and say "I told you so" for the duration of this teams' crappy performances.

Rex Ryan is on my **** list.

seems you are not the only one : )

And i cant defend Ryan's defense.

So have at it !!!

and why would Pettine want to be under Rex's looming shadow again? Thats why he came to Buffalo.

If Pettine get fired in Cleveland he will not be a hot commodity with lots of options I wouldn't think. He ran a top 10 (10) defense in Buffalo 2 years ago. His team in Cleveland has been horrible. Probably not all his fault, but the buck stops with the HC. His career will be a major reclamation project. If he came back here and turned our 20th ranked D back to top 10, he may get more opportunities.

^^^^^^Yeah, Big Cat.

Coaching turnover is not better than roster turnover. That's empirically wrong.

If Pettine get fired in Cleveland he will not be a hot commodity with lots of options I wouldn't think. He ran a top 10 (10) defense in Buffalo 2 years ago. His team in Cleveland has been horrible. Probably not all his fault, but the buck stops with the HC. His career will be a major reclamation project. If he came back here and turned our 20th ranked D back to top 10, he may get more opportunities.

Bolded is only true in the technical sense. Otherwise, it's a gross mischaracterization of that defense which straight lost the Bills games in 2013.

Really? So it's ALWAYS better to keep the coach and turnover the roster instead?

Every situation is different...

When the coach is extremely good at what he does (coach defense), yes. I'm sorry, but you're quite conveniently ignoring the fact that even as mediocre as the defense has been, it's still WAY worse than any he's ever coached before. There is all the evidence in the world to support the notion that Rex Ryan the coach will more reliably turn around the defense than the players will.

Let's talk about 13 to 14 to 15. More or less the same players, yet only one of those seasons stands out as a stellar performance. So why would we assume that 14 wsa what we should expect from the players?

Meanwhile, Rex has more than a decade of success under his belt coaching defenses and this year it just didn't happen.

Says there's no unity.

But suggests it's up to the players to buy-in:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/14/analysis-lack-of-discipline-lack-of-togetherness-feed-flag-filled-season/

This is a nice little piggy back to yesterday's coach vs. players crap storm.

And of course I think we all agree that the coach sets a tone.

But it seems that Talley is indicating that all the tone setting in the world doesn't matter diddly if players don't buy-in.

Yesterday we asked "who is the leader of this team in the locker room?" I had the same conversation with some off-board buddies and one of them specifically mentioned Talley saying the leader doesn't have to be the best player. Talley wasn't. But he was the undisputed leader of that defense.

From what I can tell, and from Talley verifies in the article, there is no unifying player in our locker room.

And that's a major problem, folks.

This is interesting...

I made me think...Yesterday I was watching NFL Network and they had Jameis Winston mic'd up for the New Orleans game...Just listening to that kid for the few short minutes they showed I came away thinking that team is heading in the right direction big time...even though they lost that NO game...This season really does not matter because Winston is clearly a leader and in the short time he's been there he has taken on that role head first...

I think the Bills were hoping Taylor would do the same... B-)

Only one new starter on defense this year?

Well that's odd considering Spikes was gone, Searcy was gone, Aaron Williams has been injured for 10.75 of our 13 games so far, Kyle Williams has been out for 7 games, Bradham has missed 3 games, McKelvin missed the first 8 and Graham is playing a different position.

This fallacy that this year's defense is a personnel carbon copy of last year's simply must end.

@ChrisTrapasso

Perspective: In 2014: #Bills D starters missed total of 13 games due to injury. In 2015 thru Week 14: #Bills D starters have missed 29 games

http://twitter.com/C...445403626115073

Searcey and Spikes 30% snaps- yeah that's why they went from 50+ Sacks two years in a row to under 20 after 13 games.

When the coach is extremely good at what he does (coach defense), yes. I'm sorry, but you're quite conveniently ignoring the fact that even as mediocre as the defense has been, it's still WAY worse than any he's ever coached before. There is all the evidence in the world to support the notion that Rex Ryan the coach will more reliably turn around the defense than the players will.

Let's talk about 13 to 14 to 15. More or less the same players, yet only one of those seasons stands out as a stellar performance. So why would we assume that 14 wsa what we should expect from the players?

Meanwhile, Rex has more than a decade of success under his belt coaching defenses and this year it just didn't happen.

Blahblahblah.... we shall see. Of course, the answer won't come for for another couple seasons....gee, I think we are really gonna enjoy the ride, huh? Another couple seasons, and the defense MIGHT be as good as the defense they already had :doh: .

Blahblahblah.... we shall see. Of course, the answer won't come for for another couple seasons....gee, I think we are really gonna enjoy the ride, huh? Another couple seasons, and the defense MIGHT be as good as the defense they already had :doh: .

I see. So you've returned from 2019 to tell us what to expect. Had I known!

This is interesting...

I made me think...Yesterday I was watching NFL Network and they had Jameis Winston mic'd up for the New Orleans game...Just listening to that kid for the few short minutes they showed I came away thinking that team is heading in the right direction big time...even though they lost that NO game...This season really does not matter because Winston is clearly a leader and in the short time he's been there he has taken on that role head first...

I think the Bills were hoping Taylor would do the same... B-)

This is one situation where i very sincerely think Tyrod can absolutely become that guy.

Everyone is trying to settle in this year.

like i mentioned. this offseason should be when he gains the full confidence and trust of the Coaches. By camp he gets it from the players. and i sure hope by preseason he gets it from us fans.

He has done well to keep his head down and just work.

But if you notice the particulars, he has already begun to lead . Just not as loudly as Winston yet.

I like this kids demeanor

Go Bills !

Maybe you have already posted it, and I missed it, but what is it you LIKE about what Wrex has done here?

Maybe you have already posted it, and I missed it, but what is it you LIKE about what Wrex has done here?

Hired Roman and went after Tyrod.

There are many other things, but let's begin by filling your pre-supposed vacuum with something we (presumably) all agree on,

Hired Roman and went after Tyrod.

There are many other things, but let's begin by filling your pre-supposed vacuum with something we (presumably) all agree on,

Cool, so he is good at finding other people to work with (a nice skill). Maybe he can find a suitable 4-3 DC to takeover the defense he ruined.

Edited by HoF Watkins