Spotrac Manage Roster Tool - 2016 Bills Salary Cap

thebandit27

it isn't casual fan logic. It's just how the cap is worked by NFL FOs. And it isn't as black and white as you seem to want to make it. There is indeed an area in between "cap hell" and "lots of cap space." We won't have "lots" of cap space. Most good teams don't. Most bad teams do because they don't have good players in their prime with big contracts. It's not about the race to win the salary cap space bowl. It's about having "enough" cap space to keep the players you want to keep. They aren't going after any high priced FAs. It's a weak FA class to begin with and a lot of guys are going to get overpaid. Signing your own guys is achieved through flexibility,fluidity and the ability with the Pegulas to creatively structure contracts.

Who are the six starters the Bills need to cut?

It is the original topic of this thread. Go to page one.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not was it necessary

It was simply what I'd do to improve the team

and it's why I could never be a GM. I would be afraid to pull the trigger on a guy like Kyle. But I would also never have cut Fred, and Whaley did. It was probably the right thing to improve the team going forward. I just get attached to players and as a GM, you cannot do that. If they think they can effectively replace Kyle cheaper, I am sure they will.

Kyle is a much better player than Fred, so not the best analogy, but still a fan favorite that Whaley showed that doesn't matter.

Edited by YoloinOhio

one person's post doesn't make it a "popular" idea. And those are not all starters, anyway.

If you actually read the thread, it was the popular idea to the posters that followed. Not one person really questioned it except for myself who agreed but also mentioned the caveats that come with it.

Caveats, trade-offs and the ramifications of being "fluid" and "flexible" is something that has NEVER been mentioned ONCE by the DERANGED one regarding the cap.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Spotrac now has a new roster management tool that is extremely useful when looking at next year's cap situation.

Try it yourself:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/

Here's what I did:

Released

Mario Williams

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams (retirement)

Leodis McKelvin

Manny Lawson

Dan Carpenter

Boobie Dixon

Savings against the cap - $32.675M

Assuming the cap will be $150M (in actuality it'll be a bit higher), that puts the team at $33M under the cap. I didn't want to touch Clay's deal, as leaving it alone provides a lot more space down the road.

Re-sign

Cordy Glenn - 5 years, $35M with $11M gtd (same contract as Jared Veldheer got from Arizona; neither has made the pro bowl, but both are bona fide starting LTs). Assume cap hit of $8M in year 1.

Richie Incognito - 5 years, $25M with $8M gtd (close to Clint Boling's deal in Cincinnati; less money due to age). Assume cap hit of $5M in year 1.

Stephon Gilmore - 5 years, $55M with $30M gtd (more than Byron Maxwell, less than Joe Haden). Assume $11M cap hit in year 1 (same as his rookie contract option year cap hit).

Do Not Re-sign

Nigel Bradham - down year and not a great fit for this defense

Alex Carrington - too many injuries and too many guys that can play his role; also getting Jarius Wynn back from injury makes him expendable

The above leaves the Bills $20M under the cap to add some pieces in FA.

Thoughts?

Sportstrac is a great site for this. The below site also has a great tool that I have heard tremendous things about but haven't had a chance to explore it in depth yet

http://fanspeak.com/mtc/

I think the Carpenter getting Cut trend might be a little overstated. I mean...he is the 19th highest paid kicker in the league...and played to where he was paid. Not to mention, I think we can all agree it was a down year for him.

You could sign a vet - but it will cost just as much if not more. So where is the savings there?

A rookie? Not a slam dunk he will outperform the vet we have now.

Just think the whole cut Carpenter thing is a little overblown.

I think the Carpenter getting Cut trend might be a little overstated. I mean...he is the 19th highest paid kicker in the league...and played to where he was paid. Not to mention, I think we can all agree it was a down year for him.

You could sign a vet - but it will cost just as much if not more. So where is the savings there?

I think that the only way that he is cut prior to training camp is if they draft Aguayo. I am not advocating a draft pick on a kicker but if they use their 5th on him for example, Carpenter will be gone.

good link here on the kicker situation

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22471759.php?contentType=4&contentId=18427840

If you actually read the thread, it was the popular idea to the posters that followed. Not one person really questioned it except for myself who agreed but also mentioned the caveats that come with it.

Caveats, trade-offs and the ramifications of being "fluid" and "flexible" is something that has NEVER been mentioned ONCE by the DERANGED one regarding the cap.

Or were posters just discussing it because someone brought it up......

Bandit is good with his numbers.....some of those cuts I agree and some I do not......it doenst mean we cant discuss them without having someone telling us how much trouble we are in when we really are not.

Spotrac now has a new roster management tool that is extremely useful when looking at next year's cap situation.

Try it yourself:

Here's what I did:

Released

Mario Williams

Kyle Williams

Leodis McKelvin

Manny Lawson

Dan Carpenter

Boobie Dixon

Assuming the cap will be $150M (in actuality it'll be a bit higher), that puts the team at $33M under the cap. I didn't want to touch Clay's deal, as leaving it alone provides a lot more space down the road.

Re-sign

Cordy Glenn - 5 years, $35M with $11M gtd (same contract as Jared Veldheer got from Arizona; neither has made the pro bowl, but both are bona fide starting LTs). Assume cap hit of $8M in year 1.

Richie Incognito - 5 years, $25M with $8M gtd (close to Clint Boling's deal in Cincinnati; less money due to age). Assume cap hit of $5M in year 1.

Stephon Gilmore - 5 years, $55M with $30M gtd (more than Byron Maxwell, less than Joe Haden). Assume $11M cap hit in year 1 (same as his rookie contract option year cap hit).

Do Not Re-sign

Alex Carrington - too many injuries and too many guys that can play his role; also getting Jarius Wynn back from injury makes him expendable

Thoughts?

Try it yourself:

Here's what I did:

Released

Mario Williams

Kyle Williams

Leodis McKelvin

Manny Lawson

Dan Carpenter

Boobie Dixon

Re-sign

Do Not Re-sign

Thoughts?

Glenn might cost double your estimate

Lawson is too expensive, but if there is a way to restructure him at a reasonable cost he should be brought back. I doubt anyone else would sign him at the level he will cost the Bills. I sure hope AW can come back and be close to his pre injury level, replacing him will be difficult. It will be expensive to replace Mario with anyone anywhere near his talent level.