Ponder cut by Broncos...gets 100K for clipboard holding

Big Turk

I swear, 3rd string QB has to be the poshest job in the NFL...you can have a long career at it, make tons of money and not have to worry about taking many hits or getting injured. You can also completely suck at QB if you do get in the game and teams just throw their hands up and say "Well, what do you expect, he was our 3rd string guy!"

Ponder just made a quick 100K(Vet minimum of 785K) for 2 games of clipboard holding(well 93K and some change, but let's figure he got a minor signing bonus for fun)...just in time for Christmas...great gig if you can get it.

I mean Jimmy Clausen is still in the league, and actually might start a game this week...

Edited by matter2003

I swear, 3rd string QB has to be the poshest job in the NFL...you can have a long career at it, make tons of money and not have to worry about taking many hits or getting injured. You can also completely suck at QB if you do get in the game and teams just throw their hands up and say "Well, what do you expect, he was our 3rd string guy!"

Ponder just made a quick 100K(Vet minimum of 785K) for 2 games of clipboard holding(well 93K and some change, but let's figure he got a minor signing bonus for fun)...just in time for Christmas...great gig if you can get it.

I mean Jimmy Clausen is still in the league, and actually might start a game this week...

How many TBDers got really upset when we didn't draft Clausen?

I don't think a job that insecure is a very good gig.

If you are a film room junkie and a technically sound player who can work with the starters and backups in the film room and pay attention to details during the game you can have a very long career and your job is very safe.

I mean there are 3 things guaranteed in life...death, taxes and Matt Schaub throwing a pick six in every game he plays in, but even HE is still in the league...and still throwing pick sixes every game...

Edited by matter2003

I don't think a job that insecure is a very good gig.

well $100K for 2 weeks of work in a job you know is not 100% secure? I'd say it's a very good gig. I doubt he went and bought a house in Oakland or Denver, and in the case of Denver they may have even covered his living situation by putting him up in a hotel for his time there.

Slot of the backup QBs and clipboard guys end up making good careers as coaches because of the experience they have watching and working with guys on the sideline so that good experience for the future.

I would say being a starter or coach is worse because you have to look at a permanent temporary living situation, and it could all change at any time even if you were signed to a long term. As a depth/3rd string guy you know your situation can change week to week. Making what he did for 2 weeks is a nice deal that's much better then most 9-5 Mon -Fri jobs where it would take you over a year to make that much money doing much harder work

The Huard and McCown brothers would agree.

If you are a film room junkie and a technically sound player who can work with the starters and backups in the film room and pay attention to details during the game you can have a very long career and your job is very safe.

I mean there are 3 things guaranteed in life...death, taxes and Matt Schaub throwing a pick six in every game he plays in, but even HE is still in the league...and still throwing pick sixes every game...

How did your theory work for Ponder whom this thread was started about? Very very few have a long career as the 3rd QB. Especially now because that spot is being used for young developing QB's.

How did your theory work for Ponder whom this thread was started about? Very very few have a long career as the 3rd QB. Especially now because that spot is being used for young developing QB's.

Bruce Gradkowski---9 years

Tarvaris Jackson---10 years(and counting)

Rex Grossman---11 years

Jimmy Calusen---6 years(and counting)

Charlie Whitehurst---10 years(and counting)

Kellen Clemens---10 years(and counting)

A whole host of others with 5 years in the league, which is above the league average career of 3 years...

granted some are backups now because a lot of teams don't carry a 3rd string QB, but even so a lot never play...

Edited by matter2003

Some people around here never fail to give me a good laugh. Even if you know it's temp work, who wouldn't take 100K for two weeks of work? If you have any money sense at all you could survive decently while you figure out what to do with your life. The median salary per household in Buffalo NY is 30K. Ponder earned what amounts to three plus years of that in two weeks. I don't think that's a bad deal. Apparently there must be more wealthy people on this board than I ever thought.

Bruce Gradkowski---9 years

Tarvaris Jackson---10 years(and counting)

Rex Grossman---11 years

Jimmy Calusen---6 years(and counting)

Charlie Whitehurst---10 years(and counting)

Kellen Clemens---10 years(and counting)

A whole host of others with 5 years in the league, which is above the league average career of 3 years...

granted some are backups now because a lot of teams don't carry a 3rd string QB, but even so a lot never play...

All of those QB's have started more than a handful of games.

Gradkowski has started for multiple teams, same with TJax. Grossman, the same.

Whitehurst and Clemens may be better considered backup QB's.

Only Clausen would be considered a 3rd QB, imo.

All of those QB's have started more than a handful of games.

Gradkowski has started for multiple teams, same with TJax. Grossman, the same.

Whitehurst and Clemens may be better considered backup QB's.

Only Clausen would be considered a 3rd QB, imo.

If you read the depth chart of their respective teams those guys are all listed as third string. That's what they are. I don't understand your theory of those guys being honorary backups. They are third stringers. A lot of third string QB's have started games. You don't get there or stay there from being great. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5