Why is Sammy Watkins not returning punts now?

1billsfan

I get not doing it during the season so as not to get him injured, but the Bills are in a "win all the remaining games or the season is over" mode right now. It's almost like they are saving him for the playoffs, yet don't realize that they already are in playoff time considering the percentages of them getting into the playoffs goes down significantly with any loss in the remaining games.

Sammy had 6 TD returns in college. The margin for wins and losses is so small in this league that you have to pull every lever that gives you the possibility in huge momentum swinging plays that could mean the difference between winning or playing for nothing again in the last three games.

I noticed that the Giants had ODB as one of the two punt return guys on the TD return by Dwayne Harris. The replay showed that ODB swinging out for a lateral pass brought three defenders out of the play which was a huge factor Harris' TD. So Sammy could even do those type of things to open up a huge return as well.

It's time the Bills bring some creativity and wrinkles to this game. Maybe they will bring back the bubble screen for Sammy that the Eagles would not be expecting since they never do it? Sammy returning punts shouldn't even be a wrinkle though. He should be on punt returns until the Bills are officially out of playoff contention.

Edited by 1billsfan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this isn't Madden

Deion Sanders had 212 punt returns and 155 kickoff returns in his career. I'm sure the "this isn't Madden excuse" could have been brought up since he was so integral as a defensive player. He did those in a majority of games that were not "must win" games. So this comment rings very hollow to me. Sammy had 6 punt returns for TDs and 1 kickoff return for a TD in college. They gave up two first round picks because he had added value in the return game for precisely these kind of situations.

Edited by 1billsfan

You have to accept the potential reward of 'greatness' versus the potential disaster of 'injury.' He's potentially exposed to big hits on every offensive snap. He'd potentially be exposed to big hits on every punt return. Collisions can be epic in either scenario. As a coach, I'd put him back there. The thought of seeing #14 deep in a punt return set is extremely enticing...and something the other team would have to be concerned with. Aside from the obvious benefits of Sammy returning the ball.....It also alters the punt (location, hang time) plan as well as coverage schemes. It's another element the ST coach of the opposition has to worry about and plan for.

Get 14 the ball!