ColdPlay Gets Super Bowl 50 Halftime Performance

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is Coldplay a Good Choice for the SB 50 Halftime Show?

• Yes. I think it's a good choice
    • No. It's a terrible choice.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

The problem with the college marching band idea is the football team may be great but their band could suck donkey nuggets. Get a good marching band and that's cool.

Anyone klisten to Cross Canadian Ragweed? Too bad they broke up - they would be the perfect halftime show band. Reckless Kelly is another good one.

Ohio State or Grambling

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amazing what happens when bands dry out and focus on the music...granted without the need for the drying out, we probably wouldn't have had that good music to begin with.

Couldn't disagree more. I saw Skynyrd live at Jacksonville Coliseum in the early seventies with Charlie Daniels Band as opening act. Ronnie Van Zant was so drunk he passed out on stage in the middle of the set. Just saw the current version in August and they totally rocked. Way better show than the original version. These guys have been together way longer and they are way tighter musically than the original version.

Few bands play better live than studio. Coldplay is one of them. They will put on a good show.

so they play that garbage /crap better live then in studio?

Few bands play better live than studio. Coldplay is one of them. They will put on a good show.

so they play that garbage /crap better live then in studio?

At least its not Fall Out Boy

We were so lucky to have them for the Grey Cup halftime show this year

CBF

no, they are bad but would be an upgrade over coldplay.

Stone Temple Pi............

Too soon?

I get the joke, but seeing as how he's been out of the band for a while and they were recording and touring with Chester Bennington, they could have done it.

I would rather watch Scott's corpse on stage for 10-15 minutes then have to be subjected to coldplay for any amount of time...

For Fighters or any other arena rock type band would be great, but they don't care about the music, they want a special/stage show over a musical act.

I love how people just rag on bands because they think they're not "cool" enough or it wouldn't be manly to like a certain type of music. I'm more of a Dead, Marley, Neil Young type of person but I can certainly recognize and appreciate other types of music as well. Seriously, there are a million worse choices than Cold Play and you know it...

oh no doubt, music is all about personal taste, which is the beauty of it. my point wasn't to change your taste, simply trying to point out there is some good rock music out there, look past the sea of pop and 'country' crap(I can't stand country music :-)). Seriously, check out some of the names i threw out there, don't ignore bands like Wilco, Beck, Pixies(while all of those are 'older acts', still very relevant and carrying and passing the torch to newer acts. Moving to Philly was the best thing my music side ever did, opened up a whole new world to me, all credit goes to WXPN radio station.

Thats your taste, and I have a right to have mine. The Foo Fighters wouldn't have been a mad choice at all. A lot of the other acts you mentioned are talented, but I don't see them as Super Bowl Halftime material. I just think it's an event that's one of the biggest in the world. It requires a halftime show that is loud and energetic. Not many of those types of rock bands exist anymore. Jason Isbell and The Avetts are talented but do not fit the mold. None are big enough to do a halftime show either. Rock in its purest form is dead. We are left with folk music, country rock, jam bands and other varities. The difference between pop and rock may not be as simple as you think either. Pop is a word originally intended to be applied to any music that becomes popular.

amazing what happens when bands dry out and focus on the music...granted without the need for the drying out, we probably wouldn't have had that good music to begin with.

To be fair, the chemical enhancement usually works wonders on the writing process. It's the live performances that are much more of a crap shoot.

Anyway, anyone saying "rock is dead" or "there are no good bands anymore" is being willfully ignorant, and just not looking hard enough.

I hear Bob Dylan still has a little gas in the tank.

I don't know, based on the way his voice sounded when I saw Elvis Costello open for him in ?2009?, I think he drank the rest of the gas that was left in the tank.

For all those suggesting the Foos, saw them at Wrigley in August. Even with Grohl's broken foot it was epic. 3 opening acts. Nearly 6 hour show. You forget how many great songs they have until they play 3 solid hours of them. Would be a great half-time show that would cater to the masses, IMO.

Edited by transient

To be fair, the chemical enhancement usually works wonders on the writing process. It's the live performances that are much more of a crap shoot.

Anyway, anyone saying "rock is dead" or "there are no good bands anymore" is being willfully ignorant, and just not looking hard enough.

I am a huge fan of all types of rock music. I am guilty of often saying rock music is dead. You're right rock it isn't "dead" as people still listen to it, and I'm sure there are tons of great new bands out there. However, I do think its far to say rock is no longer socially/culturally relevant to the masses in young America. Not in the same way today's so called "country" is to rural America or what rap is to urban America. That's what rock used to be to America. It's not that relevant anymore. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Only way that's possible is if they come out and cover some other bands music. Maybe a nice Zep/Beatles set from them would work

I love how people just rag on bands because they think they're not "cool" enough or it wouldn't be manly to like a certain type of music. I'm more of a Dead, Marley, Neil Young type of person but I can certainly recognize and appreciate other types of music as well. Seriously, there are a million worse choices than Cold Play and you know it...

I can't think of many, if rather see less than Coldplay.

• 1 month later...

@HollywoodLife

#Breaking: Beyonce is returning to #SuperBowl 2016 to perform w/ Coldplay in halftime show!! http://hollywood.li/KgJXsTB

CYJ3bLyWkAIwKBL.jpg

IF you look very closely you can see where he hides his manhood.

and I dont care what anyone says, that right leg is so photoshopped. This singer has thunder thighs.

Who is more manly? Beyonce, Serena WIlliams or Elton John?

Edited by fredex22

IF you look very closely you can see where he hides his manhood.

and I dont care what anyone says, that right leg is so photoshopped. This singer has thunder thighs.

Who is more manly? Beyonce, Serena WIlliams or Elton John?

Too close to call. Other than Elton of course; he's clearly out of the running.

Never for one moment understood the fascination with Beyonce. She's fugly and her music sucks.