Pegula's Approval

Pegula approval  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Aside from not moving the team, how do you grade Pegula's perfomance so far as Bills owner?

2. 2. Aside from not moving the team, how do you grade Pegula's perfomance so far as Sabres owner?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pegulas do what owners are supposed to do. Put people in charge and let them do their job, and spend. If it doesn't work out, they address it in the offseason. I'm sure that will be the case with the Bills.

As for the Sabres, they seem to be on track for success. Young, talented with a blue chip coach.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I gave him a D for the Bills and B with the Sabres.

The Sabres, he needed to identify change was needed. They went on a run in the Spring of 2011 and kind of lulled him into a false sense of security. Threw a pile of money at Darcy and it magnified all the issues instead of fixed them. After that, they were too slow to make the changes and still wouldnt jump in, by firing Ruff early in the season after the lockout which reeks of indecision... then firing Regier early the following season. Both should have been shown the door preferably earlier before the offseason.

But they now have it right. Up and coming, non-sexy of a choice GM, money well spent on scouting, coaches, etc. Arena improvements, Harbor Center, etc. Once we see some results from this Sabres team, give them an A

With the Bills, I fear he has made similar errors early. IMO he needed to install a football man who has come from a winning program at the top and have him build a totally new program. Instead it was half assed, Polian walked away, the coach walked away, now we have a strange structure where the GM reports to Pegula, the owner apparently hired the coach who reports to the owner... and the hire seems to be going very poorly. Now they have a lot of money tied up in all this. If I had to bet on it, I would say someone will be brought in to build the program the right way after the 2016 or 2017 season if things dont improve

Edited by May Day 10

I give them an A for the Bills, and a B for the Sabres....I could be talked into straight A's. Only reason I give them a B for the Sabres is that Terry probably held on to Darcy too long, and we will never know what happened with the whole Pat Lafontaine thing. I have always been a little reserved about Rex, but despite their fumbling around right now, I still think he was about as good a hire as they could have made at the time. Even if they don't get everything right, nobody will ever be able to say that the Pegulas aren't going all out, with either franchise.

The Pegulas do what owners are supposed to do. Put people in charge and let them do their job, and spend. If it doesn't work out, they address it in the offseason. I'm sure that will be the case with the Bills.

As for the Sabres, they seem to be on track for success. Young, talented with a blue chip coach.

:thumbsup:

The Pegulas have proven to me to be everything positive you could want in an owner. You can't just knee jerk your front office out when a season doesn't go as planned. Not the owner's fault if people below them can't carry their job out.

Can anyone on here provide evidence they are not willing to devote whatever resources are necessary to produce a winner? What more can you ask of an owner?

Want to see a "D" owner, check out Jimmy Haslam's decisions with the Browns.

The Pegulas have proven to me to be everything positive you could want in an owner. You can't just knee jerk your front office out when a season doesn't go as planned. Not the owner's fault if people below them can't carry their job out.

Can anyone on here provide evidence they are not willing to devote whatever resources are necessary to produce a winner? What more can you ask of an owner?

Want to see a "D" owner, check out Jimmy Haslam's decisions with the Browns.

I have little doubt they will get there... at some point.

Since the acquisition of the team, it doesn't seem like Pegula has taken the quickest path to get there. Same with the Sabres who now appear to be on track.

Devoting resources, although great, doesnt ensure an A. How about the Redskins? Cowboys?

I'm still trying to figure out how he got around the long-standing prohibition against owning two franchises in one city. He's a wizard.

The rule states that one person cannot own two franchises that are in different markets. Sabres and Bills are in the same market, so it does not break any rules.

The rule states that one person cannot own two franchises that are in different markets. Sabres and Bills are in the same market, so it does not break any rules.

Are you sure? I can't find anything on this topic to confirm that.

The Pegulas do what owners are supposed to do. Put people in charge and let them do their job, and spend.

I gave them a C because I see it opposite. I think they made a huge mistake making the decision to hire the head coach. Either they should have gone all out to find a really good top football guy once Polian backed out (Polian would have been a bad hire IMO, so not sure their plan B would have been any better), or made the decision that Whaley was their true GM and let him make the decision. It really felt like they went into the whole deal with the idea of hiring Polian, and when that fell through they panicked.

Letting Whaley and Rex get out there and make deals and spend money to get their guys was great and exactly what I expect an owner to do, but I really feel like the Rex situation (both the hire and the chain of command) is a mess, and a pretty important one.

I'd prefer they put the "right" people in charge. C city.

I gave them a C because I see it opposite. I think they made a huge mistake making the decision to hire the head coach. Either they should have gone all out to find a really good top football guy once Polian backed out (Polian would have been a bad hire IMO, so not sure their plan B would have been any better), or made the decision that Whaley was their true GM and let him make the decision. It really felt like they went into the whole deal with the idea of hiring Polian, and when that fell through they panicked.

Letting Whaley and Rex get out there and make deals and spend money to get their guys was great and exactly what I expect an owner to do, but I really feel like the Rex situation (both the hire and the chain of command) is a mess, and a pretty important one.

The question was rate them as owners. Not rate their decisions. As owners they are doing it right. Hire people and get out of the way, but keep signing the checks. People make mistakes. The real yardstick is do they learn from them and get it right next time. I assume no one here has ever made a mistake?

The question was rate them as owners. Not rate their decisions. As owners they are doing it right. Hire people and get out of the way, but keep signing the checks. People make mistakes. The real yardstick is do they learn from them and get it right next time. I assume no one here has ever made a mistake?

Their decisions don't have anything to do with how they are doing as owners? Sorry, not on the same page. I wasn't grading them on how well Rex is doing, I graded them on their decision as owners to be the ones to hire a head coach. As owners, you hire a football guy for that job (either bringing in a new one or keeping Whaley). Even if the Rex hire turns out to be great over the next couple of years, that ownership decision was a mistake. As you said, you hire a guy to do the job (run the team) and get out of his way.