Compensatory Draft Picks Will Be Tradeable in 2017

26CornerBlitz

Comp. Committee recommends compensatory picks be tradable

NFL clubs could soon be permitted to trade compensatory draft choices for the first time.

The Competition Committee recommended that compensatory picks be tradeable, NFL spokesperson Michael Signora told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. NFL clubs would need to approve the change and it could be submitted for a vote on Dec. 2, Signora stated, noting that the impetus for the change is to give clubs more flexibility in draft preparation.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

True, but they have the opportunity to trade extra picks to move around the draft that others do not have.. Plus still keep all remaining picks

Yeah, but the only way to get compensatory picks is to lose players to free agency. So presumably the teams that don't get the picks have the advantage of signing other team's players.

For the most part these picks are worthless so I would say make them tradeable. The only way making them tradeable would be bad is if they expand roster size. It might not make sense but having more flexibility to keep marginal players for depth would increase the value of the comp picks.

Yeah, that's just 100% wrong.

One of these years Doug Whaley might just figure out the compensatory draft system, or even realize that it exists.

Which specific transactions this offseason do you feel would have been better to forego in favor of a compensatory pick?

Very lucid, well thought out response. I have nothing to add.

Nice snark.

You lose a player you are weakened as a team. The pick is compensation for that loss. What advantage would a team that lost a productive player get by trading a pick for another pick or a player or some combination of players/picks?

The draft is (in concept) set up to help poor teams get better. What about compensatory picks or trading those picks would upset the competitive balance?

Nice snark.

You lose a player you are weakened as a team. The pick is compensation for that loss. What advantage would a team that lost a productive player get by trading a pick for another pick or a player or some combination of players/picks?

The draft is (in concept) set up to help poor teams get better. What about compensatory picks or trading those picks would upset the competitive balance?

Yea I don't understand why it is fair to take 2 7th round picks but unfair to package them and trade up for a 6th

Maybe you made me change my mind, at first I thought I didn't like them being tradeable. Do teams that do poorly get vastly more comp picks? It seems like the Pats* always have comp picks . . .

Maybe you made me change my mind, at first I thought I didn't like them being tradeable. Do teams that do poorly get vastly more comp picks? It seems like the Pats* always have comp picks . . .

Typically, no... Comp picks are tied exclusively on a balance of how many players you lost last season in FA vs how many you signed, and the higher the pick you get is decided by how much the player lost signed for.

There are teams, such as the Pat's, who always seem to be getting several picks, but that's just calculated on their part, on their own management strategy, as they don't pay MOST of their great players a lot of money, so as they graduate from their rookie deals, they get compensated for these guys lost, PLUS the original 7 draft picks they were to be issued (granted they haven't cheated that year and lost another 1st round pick, again). All while remaining highly competitive, by having the constant of Brady and Belicheck there. It's actually a brilliant management strategy. Every year, you would get one or two extra picks, for free, which also keeps you in good salary cap shape.