Refugee Crisis in the U. S. (?)

B-Man

It’s outrageous how heartless President Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions are about immigration and the DACA program. Hiding behind “the rule of law” like this:

[T]here are those in the immigrants’ rights community who have argued passionately that we should simply provide those who are [here] illegally with legal status, or at least ignore the laws on the books and put an end to deportation until we have better laws. I believe such an indiscriminate approach would be both unwise and unfair. It would suggest to those thinking about coming here illegally that there will be no repercussions for such a decision. And this could lead to a surge in more illegal immigration. And it would also ignore the millions of people around the world who are waiting in line to come here legally. Ultimately, our nation, like all nations, has the right and obligation to control its borders and set laws for residency and citizenship. And no matter how decent they are, no matter their reasons, the 11 million who broke these laws should be held accountable. [Emphasis added]

As I say, a totally cruel and heartless point of view from Tru. . . What’s that?

Oh: the person who spoke these lines was President Barack Obama, on June 30, 2010.

But as Glenn Reynolds likes to point out, every single one of Obama’s pronouncements comes with an expiration date.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/09/that-was-then-this-is-now-5.php

Edited by B-Man

The next president can just as easily restore everything Obama did via executive orders, presidential memorandums, etc.. Trump needs legislative victories.

Oh, !@#$ you. When I point out that Trump is undoing everything Obama did because Obama didn't have legislative victories, I'm called a Nazi. :wallbash:

Oh, !@#$ you. When I point out that Trump is undoing everything Obama did because Obama didn't have legislative victories, I'm called a Nazi. :wallbash:

I wouldn't call you a Nazi unless I see Waldorf walking down Delaware Avenue with a tiki torch screaming antisemitic chants.

"The Public Religion Research Institute recently conducted a massive poll of more than 100,000 Americans. Its results go a long way toward explaining the transformation of the GOP from a conservative party into one fueled and animated by white grievance. In broad terms: ..."

They found a shrinking white Christian population that was also getting older

"In sum, if you want to know why white grievance (a burning anger about the loss of status and influence of “people like them”) and know-nothingism play such an enormous part in today’s Republican Party, look for the answer in these numbers. The views of the shrinking white evangelical population now dominate the GOP. Other polling shows that the group dismisses the extent of racism directed at minorities, immigrants, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans, while exaggerating the extent of discrimination against whites. It’s this group that was motivated in the 2016 election not by economics but by cultural and racial grievance, which now is at the heart of President Trump’s message:"

"One can understand why logic and facts are no match for irrational resentment. Trump captured, stirred and magnified the animosity these voters feel about their laundry list of villains (immigrants, elites, urbanites, the media or any other sources of information that undercut their irrational views, etc.) As a political matter, it is hard to figure out how to wean people from the grip of an irrational sense of persecution and racial resentment. They are unmoved by data showing that immigrants are not harming them. They refuse to acknowledge that by every measurement, whites are not disadvantaged in our society.

So what do opponents of Trumpism do? In a democracy, numbers ultimately matter, so for those who view Trumpism with fear and disgust, the solution is simple: Outvote Trump’s base. That means overcoming smaller policy differences for the sake of reestablishing support for democratic norms, an inclusive country and a society respectful of objective data."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/09/06/the-demographic-change-fueling-the-angst-of-trumps-base/?utm_term=.b0e62323abf7

"The Public Religion Research Institute recently conducted a massive poll of more than 100,000 Americans. Its results go a long way toward explaining the transformation of the GOP from a conservative party into one fueled and animated by white grievance. In broad terms: ..."

They found a shrinking white Christian population that was also getting older

"In sum, if you want to know why white grievance (a burning anger about the loss of status and influence of “people like them”) and know-nothingism play such an enormous part in today’s Republican Party, look for the answer in these numbers. The views of the shrinking white evangelical population now dominate the GOP. Other polling shows that the group dismisses the extent of racism directed at minorities, immigrants, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans, while exaggerating the extent of discrimination against whites. It’s this group that was motivated in the 2016 election not by economics but by cultural and racial grievance, which now is at the heart of President Trump’s message:"

"One can understand why logic and facts are no match for irrational resentment. Trump captured, stirred and magnified the animosity these voters feel about their laundry list of villains (immigrants, elites, urbanites, the media or any other sources of information that undercut their irrational views, etc.) As a political matter, it is hard to figure out how to wean people from the grip of an irrational sense of persecution and racial resentment. They are unmoved by data showing that immigrants are not harming them. They refuse to acknowledge that by every measurement, whites are not disadvantaged in our society.

So what do opponents of Trumpism do? In a democracy, numbers ultimately matter, so for those who view Trumpism with fear and disgust, the solution is simple: Outvote Trump’s base. That means overcoming smaller policy differences for the sake of reestablishing support for democratic norms, an inclusive country and a society respectful of objective data."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/09/06/the-demographic-change-fueling-the-angst-of-trumps-base/?utm_term=.b0e62323abf7

Eight million Obama voters voted for Trump this election. Did they suddenly become racist overnight? Isn't it more plausible the Democratic Party got in bed with Wall Street while turning their back on the white working middle class and the vote for Trump was a big FU to the Washington establishment?

Edited by Doc Brown

Eight million Obama voters voted for Trump this election. Did they suddenly become racist overnight? Isn't it more plausible the Democratic Party got in bed with Wall Street while turning their back on the white working middle class and the vote for Trump was a big FU to the Washington establishment?

There is no way of proving eight million people voted for Obama and Trump, voting is done in secret the last time I looked. But even if a percentage of voters switched for some reason that proves nothing. The guy ran a racist, scapegoating campaign against the weakest members of our nation and was wildly supported for that.

Your argument that the white working class was forgotten by the Democrats is silly. They benefited more from things like healthcare than anyone. Go look at the statistics for West Virginia and health care. He tried gutting the number one employer in their state which is health care. Let them eat coal!

If Trump voters were supporting Trump because he was going to take on Wall Street....do I seriously need to finish this thought even???

Why are Trump supporters still with him m then after filling his cabinet with Wall Streeters? Why?

You know why, he pardoned Arpaio, attacked the victims of Charlotte, said some of those anti-Semitic hater scums were good people and now is harassing good people that were doing no one at all any harm. Oh ya, he still wants to build stupid wall.

There is no way of proving eight million people voted for Obama and Trump, voting is done in secret the last time I looked. But even if a percentage of voters switched for some reason that proves nothing. The guy ran a racist, scapegoating campaign against the weakest members of our nation and was wildly supported for that.

Your argument that the white working class was forgotten by the Democrats is silly. They benefited more from things like healthcare than anyone. Go look at the statistics for West Virginia and health care. He tried gutting the number one employer in their state which is health care. Let them eat coal!

If Trump voters were supporting Trump because he was going to take on Wall Street....do I seriously need to finish this thought even???

Why are Trump supporters still with him m then after filling his cabinet with Wall Streeters? Why?

You know why, he pardoned Arpaio, attacked the victims of Charlotte, said some of those anti-Semitic hater scums were good people and now is harassing good people that were doing no one at all any harm. Oh ya, he still wants to build stupid wall.

Yes, those victims with bats.

Rasmussen did a study http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/political_commentary/commentary_by_geoffrey_skelley/just_how_many_obama_2012_trump_2016_voters_were_there that found 13% or 8.4 million people voted for Trump in 2016 who voted for Obama in 2012. Only 2.5 million voters switched from Romney to Hillary. They cited another study that estimated about 6.7 million people voted for Trump in 2016 that voted for Obama in 2012. Those range of numbers were big enough to swing the election in the rust belt states.

skelley_table_1_june_1_2017.png

I said Trump is a phony populist before and still believe that as everything he's done up to this point confirms it, but he made the better sell to white blue collar workers that also bought Obama's rhetoric in 2012. I don't see how you can argue that the same people who voted for Trump that also voted for Obama are racist. Maybe Obama should of went after the big banks and Wall Street harder. Maybe Bill Clinton shouldn't have formed NAFTA sticking the knives in the backs of organized labor and accelerating the pace of manufacturing jobs going to other countries. Maybe Hillary shouldn't of given paid Goldman Sachs speeches and based her entire campaign around simply attacking Trump and having Madeline Albright say women who don't vote for Hillary Clinton are going to hell.

You are actually an intelligent and erudite poster and we are lucky to have you here, but your confusion between "have" and "of" is something gator would do.

With that compliment I will now proofread all my posts as I see I also had a run on sentence at the end. It's just frustrating to me that people read an article like that and don't immediately recognize it's just an opinion article where the writer uses selective data/studies to pretend it's not.