Suh "Sack

peterpan

It wouldn't have been the "worst" sack ever whistled by a long shot & your post says nothing about the point I was making.

Perhaps my response wasn't clear in the point that I was trying to make: I'm more afraid of the day that grabbing a guy with one hand becomes an in the grasp call than I am of my QB breaking a collar bone because he gets thrown down.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps my response wasn't clear in the point that I was trying to make: I'm more afraid of the day that grabbing a guy with one hand becomes an in the grasp call than I am of my QB breaking a collar bone because he gets thrown down.

It's not the throwing down part that worries me it's the landing on. Regardless, the Bills caught a break & got a win. Both are good.

It's not the throwing down part that worries me it's the landing on. Regardless, the Bills caught a break & got a win. Both are good.

"In the grasp" is never called unless it's some sort of full-on bear hug. It hasn't been called for decades at this point. It's an artifact of an earlier era that ended in 1991, but in the minds of many fans it appears to have a vestigial afterlife despite its basic non-existence.

Then everyone saying it wasn't a sack would be crying in their beer about Tyrod's busted collarbone.

Like i have mentioned Tyrod really has some balls, trying beat Suh mano el mano.

I could barely watch that play. Man could have easily killed him with a swipe of his paw and Taylor is still looking upfield.

in regard to Rex and his Captains? I think Bills Players know who it is.

Like i have mentioned Tyrod really has some balls, trying beat Suh mano el mano.

I could barely watch that play. Man could have easily killed him with a swipe of his paw and Taylor is still looking upfield.

in regard to Rex and his Captains? I think Bills Players know who it is.

Come on 3rd! Suh couldn't even get TT to the ground. He had no chance of killing him with a swipe of his paw.

I'm sorry, but I positively dread the day that having one hand on a guy becomes an "in the grasp" call

so what if he has him by the "collar" dont you want to stop the play.

I keep thinking back to his injury and the Horsed tackle that caused it.

I dont want the penalty dont want the fine, i want the play stopped before he hurts our Boy.

with all the b.s. grounding calls we've had against us the last couple years then watch other qb's ground the ball with no call repeatedly I could care less

TT didn't ground the ball. It was a legal throwaway since he was outside the pocket and the ball travelled at least to the LOS.

It wouldn't have been the "worst" sack ever whistled by a long shot & your post says nothing about the point I was making.

I expected the call honestly. and was more pissed at TT trying to "make a play" against Suh who was coming downhill hard. i was yellin NOOO!

hmmm. odd

Come on 3rd! Suh couldn't even get TT to the ground. He had no chance of killing him with a swipe of his paw.

let the all 22 tell us.

From my angle , he surely could have maimed the arrogant little varmint called Tyrod!

Why he run away? Make Suh angry , curse. and threaten. scare little Officials even.

TT didn't ground the ball. It was a legal throwaway since he was outside the pocket and the ball travelled at least to the LOS.

if you look upfield i think he had Hogan coming back.

Kid is going to get himself killed being awesome. Just our luck . rather billsian, i think

"In the grasp" is never called unless it's some sort of full-on bear hug. It hasn't been called for decades at this point. It's an artifact of an earlier era that ended in 1991, but in the minds of many fans it appears to have a vestigial afterlife despite its basic non-existence.

Dave, how does the in the grasp differ from a qb being whistled down when he is stood up with his momentum stopped? I've seen qbs tied up by linemen and get a quick whistle before they hit the ground. They may call it as forward progress was stopped or some other term but it still exist is some way.

let the all 22 tell us.

From my angle , he surely could have maimed the arrogant little varmint called Tyrod!

Why he run away? Make Suh angry , curse. and threaten. scare little Officials even.

if you look upfield i think he had Hogan coming back.

Kid is going to get himself killed being awesome. Just our luck . rather billsian, i think

No, he couldn't have maimed him, and if he had had a better chance to sack him, he would have done it.

And Hogan might also have been in the area, but it didn't matter.

Yes, it would be very Billsian, but if you want plays blown dead before a player potentially gets injured, there won't be much playing done.

Dave, how does the in the grasp differ from a qb being whistled down when he is stood up with his momentum stopped? I've seen qbs tied up by linemen and get a quick whistle before they hit the ground. They may call it as forward progress was stopped or some other term but it still exist is some way.

The QB has to be wrapped up by one defender with another one bearing down on him/them for the refs to blow the whistle. Suh didn't have complete control over TT as evidenced by the result of the play.

Edited by Doc

It shouldn't. That's the problem. The rules prevented Suh from making the sack, once he grabbed Taylor. He EASILY could have thrown Taylor to the ground when he spun him, but would have drawn a roughing the passer penalty. Suh was bound by a set of rules that prevented him from completing the play - he's required to take the QB to the ground to get the sack, butvhe can't take the QB to the ground without drawing a penalty.

Call the Waaaambulance for Suh here. He knows the rules. If he wrapped Taylor up and tackled him, he'd have gotten his sack. He either couldn't or didn't, so no sack for you Suh.

Suh had both hands on him. Watch the video.

No need to be smart-alecky; I watched the video, and my comment was a slight exaggeration for emphasis. Suh didn't come close to wrapping him up, which is what a defender should do in that scenario. Pull the QB in and grasp him; hence "in the grasp".

did it?

or are you just saying that wishfully?

Well, the rule actually says "at or near the LOS", which definitely was the case for Taylor's throw.

It was the correct call.

I expected the call honestly. and was more pissed at TT trying to "make a play" against Suh who was coming downhill hard. i was yellin NOOO!

hmmm. odd

It's odd that someone doesn't want the league to become even more subject to the capricious judgement of officials? If we're so worried about preventing any conceivable injury, why not just change the game to two-hand touch?

No need to be smart-alecky; I watched the video, and my comment was a slight exaggeration for emphasis. Suh didn't come close to wrapping him up, which is what a defender should do in that scenario. Pull the QB in and grasp him; hence "in the grasp".

Well, the rule actually says "at or near the LOS", which definitely was the case for Taylor's throw.

It was the correct call.

my bad (maybe) for some reason I thought it had to reach or cross the LOS

A ball carrier, in any location, commits intentional grounding when throwing a pass that does not reach the line of scrimmage; for instance, throwing the football down near himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_grounding

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever