Whaley is asleep at the wheel.

FireChan

Whaley, in the public eye, was on board with the Rex hire. What Whaley's personal preferences are/were aren't known by you.

However, that doesn't matter. The hire was the Pegula's hire, and no amount of hemming, hawing, and wish-casting on your part changes that. That's how they conducted business with the Sabres, and that's how they're conducting business here.

If you want to blame Whaley for supporting the decisions made by the owner of the company he works for, go right on ahead, but it's a silly decision.

Everything that comes out of the from office indicates that Whaley and Rex are equals, that neither reports directly to the other but rather that they collaborate, and both report upwards separately.

So it is your contention that Rex was hired by the Pegula's completely independent from Whaley? He had no part in it? They didn't consult him? That they walked up and said, "Rex is your coach now?"

That is how I am reading it, also.

Doesn't make much sense...

Imo

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it is your contention that Rex was hired by the Pegula's completely independent from Whaley? He had no part in it? They didn't consult him? That they walked up and said, "Rex is your coach now?"

It's my contention that you're expressing a dopey opinion if you believe Rex Ryan was a Doug Whaley hire.

I say Terry and Kim, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that it was a Kim Pegula hire, and that the hire was made for more than just football reasons, but with all things being equal among qualified candidates, that she wanted him as a charismatic promoter of One Buffalo.

So, Whaley, along with other organizational executives, were likely placed onto a search committee, which compiled a list of possible candidates for the position; and then that list was handed off to the Pegulas.

Kim indicated that Rex Ryan was, initially, at the bottom of the list of possible candidates, almost an after thought; which is where he sat after folks like Whaley and Brandon compiled their list after doing their due diligence.

It was Kim Pegula who was "wowed" by Rex, and felt he was the perfect fit for what they wanted to do in Buffalo.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

It's my contention that you're expressing a dopey opinion if you believe Rex Ryan was a Doug Whaley hire.

I say Terry and Kim, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that it was a Kim Pegula hire, and that the hire was made for more than just football reasons, but with all things being equal among qualified candidates, that she wanted him as a charismatic promoter of One Buffalo.

So, Whaley, along with other organizational executives, were likely placed onto a search committee, which compiled a list of possible candidates for the position; and then that list was handed off to the Pegulas.

Kim indicated that Rex Ryan was, initially, at the bottom of the list of possible candidates, almost an after thought; which is where he sat after folks like Whaley and Brandon compiled their list after doing their due diligence.

It was Kim Pegula who was "wowed" by Rex, and felt he was the perfect fit for what they wanted to do in Buffalo.

I think that's actually worse.

I think that's actually worse.

You think it's worse for Whaley that he, likely along with Brandon and a handful of others, did what was asked of him when performing a coaching search for the organization? And that hiring decisions for executive level positions are made by the President and CEO of the company?

Or you think that it's worse for the organization that Kim Pegula is making business decisions surrounding her team and her brand?

Sounds like sour grapes and a dopey vendetta.

You think it's worse for Whaley that he, likely along with Brandon and a handful of others, did what was asked of him when performing a coaching search for the organization? And that hiring decisions for executive level positions are made by the President and CEO of the company?

Or you think that it's worse for the organization that Kim Pegula is making business decisions surrounding her team and her brand?

The second.

I don't think you know what sour grapes means.

Edited by FireChan

So you think Whaley has little power yet can decide on the going and coming off all players?

Whaley should be fired for hiring Rex, the guy who sucks. How is this a hard concept to grasp?

Funny, you didn't mention Rex at all in your first post.

Since you're so sure Whaley's "asleep", would Whaley look better in your eyes if he were to get suckered into making a bad trade, just so you can see that he's not asleep? Is any trade a good trade in your eyes?

These "asleep" accusations make me laugh. As if you people know what's going on or not going on behind the scenes.

Funny, you didn't mention Rex at all in your first post.

Since you're so sure Whaley's "asleep", would Whaley look better in your eyes if he were to get suckered into making a bad trade, just so you can see that he's not asleep? Is any trade a good trade in your eyes?

These "asleep" accusations make me laugh. As if you people know what's going on or not going on behind the scenes.

You stopped too early.

So you think Whaley has little power yet can decide on the going and coming off all players?

I think Whaley has been assigned decision making as pertains to the construction of the 80 man pre-season roster, the regular season 53 man roster, and the 10 man practice squad; and does so with the input of Rex Ryan, selected coaches, Bills medical staff, and the scouting department. All of which can be over-ruled by the Pegulas (see: Jackson, Fred). I also believe that Whaley heads up the pro and amateur scouting departments and has oversight over the analytics department as well.

That could hardly be described as "little power".

Have anything to back this up because I don't buy it at all, a link perhaps? Or is this just pure speculation?

Its my impression that from what I read that Russ Brandon told the Pegula's that they would know who to hire as HC after they spoke with all the candidates. Then afaik Kim Pegula was supposed to be president of the team, and be heavily involved in the marketing side, and not the football operations side.

From what I can gather it was Brandon who suggested Ryan because of his defensive background, and the decision was made by Terry with Kim, Brandon, and Whaley in the room.

To the OP, how on earth do we know what Whaley does and doesn't do on any given day? Perhaps he has been on the phone to Cleveland to find the asking price of Mack & Thomas. From what I've read is that Denver already offered Cleveland their 2016 first round pick, and the Browns countered by asking for a player too. Denver said no at that point.

I agree the the offensive line is a big failing this year, and another failure is the WR corps that has been plagued by three injured players.

Have anything to back this up because I don't buy it at all, a link perhaps? Or is this just pure speculation?

Its my impression that from what I read that Russ Brandon told the Pegula's that they would know who to hire as HC after they spoke with all the candidates. Then afaik Kim Pegula was supposed to be president of the team, and be heavily involved in the marketing side, and not the football operations side.

From what I can gather it was Brandon who suggested Ryan because of his defensive background, and the decision was made by Terry with Kim, Brandon, and Whaley in the room.

To the OP, how on earth do we know what Whaley does and doesn't do on any given day? Perhaps he has been on the phone to Cleveland to find the asking price of Mack & Thomas. From what I've read is that Denver already offered Cleveland their 2016 first round pick, and the Browns countered by asking for a player too. Denver said no at that point.

I agree the the offensive line is a big failing this year, and another failure is the WR corps that has been plagued by three injured players.

Kim Pegula's WGR interview about the Rex Ryan hiring process.

Yup, I do agree. Rex was ranked 11 or 12 in the coaching search. He was not even a real consideration.

Just assumed he'd go to Atlanta.

Then That magical night in Boca happened.

Huey Jackson was the leading candidate.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

So, let me get this straight...Rex Ryan should be fired for having all this talent on the team and only a 3-4 record. AND Whaley should be fired for not getting enough talent on our roster. Interesting. Rex gets fired for not doing enough with all the talent Whaley has supplied him and Whaley gets fired for not having enough talent on the team. This is just too funny.

I am not thrilled with the job either Rex or Whaley in particular have done.....less thrilled with Rex than Whaley....but in the case of Whaley the strength of the roster is mostly virtue of a relentlessly bad organization stockpiling talent over a long period of time.

The tireless asskicker at the top of this division has helped keep the Bills in the premium section of round 1 for a very, very long time now.

Beyond that, I believe a comparison to other organizations will find them very much in the middle of the pack in terms of finding high quality talent beyond round 1 or in the various levels of free agency.

What lowers their grade below the middle of the pack is that much of the talent they have acquired has been at the expense of selections that could have been used to fill the QB position, a desperate need and the the only position that can really make you a long term competitor/challenger to the Patriots.

So you're saying pure speculation.

Some, of course, because I don't work for the Bills organization; but based on what Kim had to say, my own detailed knowledge of what goes into an open executive level vetting/hiring process, and subsequent tidbits of information gleaned from the dozens of interviews given by the organization since then; I'd say that I'm being more than reasonable.

The best GM's acknowledge their mistakes, cut their losses, and move on. That's why I think it's in DW's best interests to dump EJ as soon as the season is over. That move will be a hard pill for him to swallow, but I think it will gain him a lot of respect from the part of the fanbase that is less than impressed by him.