With the DB issue not finished but pretty much

- I can remember back to the excitement I felt when it was first announced....a bonafide, playoff going, pro bowl playin, super bowl QB. A former number one draft pick, cannon arm, big and strong, and on and on and on.

- After that first year I thought FOR SURE that that Drew was going to be at the helm and we were going to move right on into the playoffs the following year....I was so sure of it.

- WE HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN IN THE PLAYOFFS SINCE HIS ARRIVAL

- I dont blame Drew persay....we just got a crappy deal from the pats who knew that the Drew they were trading wasn't the same Drew that went to the Superbowl......they traded us a "used to be" stud.

- It took me a long time to come to terms with that...I defended him here there and everywhere.....he doesn't have the line....the system sucks...he doens't have a running game.....his receivers suck....and on and on and on

- It was only this past year that I finally saw what everybody else was seeing.....the cannon arm was there...Bledsoe was saying all the right things....but mentally he was slipping....

I dont think he is finished in the league.....but I also don't think Drew will see another playoff game.....I wish him well

- I can remember back to the excitement I felt when it was first announced....a bonafide, playoff going, pro bowl playin, super bowl QB.  A former number one draft pick, cannon arm, big and strong, and on and on and on.

- After that first year I thought FOR SURE that that Drew was going to be at the helm and we were going to move right on into the playoffs the following year....I was so sure of it.

- I dont blame Drew persay....we just got a crappy deal from the pats who knew that the Drew they were trading wasn't the same Drew that went to the Superbowl......they traded us a "used to be" stud.

- It took me a long time to come to terms with that...I defended him here there and everywhere.....he doesn't have the line....the system sucks...he doens't have a running game.....his receivers suck....and on and on and on

- It was only this past year that I finally saw what everybody else was seeing.....the cannon arm was there...Bledsoe was saying all the right things....but mentally he was slipping....

I dont think he is finished in the league.....but I also don't think Drew will see another playoff game.....I wish him well

240623[/snapback]

Well stated John.

Me too John. When he arrived I was hopeful but wary. Loved his arm, didn't trust his head. Drew has always had a knack for coming up small in big games. For making throws that seem to belie his ability and pedigree.

Part of what makes Bledsoe so seductive is that he looks the part to a T and sounds the part to a T and talks the part to a T. If you had to make an action figure of the ultimate pocket passer, it would look like Drew. Tall, Long arms, big hands, cannon arm, and tough. The problem is you can't put a good football brain in a plastic toy.

Intangibles such as poise, timing, pocket awareness, and the ability to see the field are what matters most in a QB, and these are the areas where Drew was once decent, never great, and has slipped from decent into the frustrating region of INCONSISTENT. He's Jeckyl and Hyde. He'll have a game like the Miami game or 9ers game or Rams game and then he'll lay an egg against the Browns and Steelers backups, and of course every big game that your team must have.

I wish he could see himself with better clarity, cuz I'd like to have him as jP's backup. Short of that, I'm a little disappointed that we're not going to get any value back for him. If we could have pulled off a trade for even a 4th or 5th rounder it would make the transaction feel better.

Later, Drew. You hardly knew ya

He's Jeckyl and Hyde. He'll have a game like the Miami game or 9ers game or Rams game and then he'll lay an egg against the Browns and Steelers backups, and of course every big game that your team must have.

240668[/snapback]

This biggest problem I had with his inconsistancy is that he never gave us that "big" game. He'd have plenty of clunkers and then come back with a solid outing. He wasn't a feast or famine QB, he was a square meal or famine QB....which isn't good enough. If you're going to suck sometimes you had better have some Brett Favre like big games at other times.

Great post John...i have the same feelings, its kinda bittersweet...i was glad to kick the midget and the surfer out, but it'll be tougher with Drew...i keep tihnking back to 2002 and all the excitement he brought...but then i think of last season and i want to vomit...

If this si true, thanks for everything Drew :lol:

- I can remember back to the excitement I felt when it was first announced....a bonafide, playoff going, pro bowl playin, super bowl QB.  A former number one draft pick, cannon arm, big and strong, and on and on and on.

240623[/snapback]

You, as a poster, have impressed me with your ability to talk, unashamed, about how you changed your mind about Bledsoe. At one time you were one of his biggest defenders and then you eventually decided that he wasn't the right QB for the Bills.

This is actually quite something on TSW, because on this forum it sometimes seems like you had to have been right from the very start and you always knew right along. Here, people just love to be able to say "I told you so" and such.

It's just something that I've noticed about your posts, in general; keep it up.

I am sad to see that it never worked out better (and never will) for Bledsoe and the Bills. I hope better things are ahead for all involved. Perhaps he will find the team with a system that uses his talents best and masks his deficiencies. In the meantime, I hope this becomes the great opportunity Losman and the city of Buffalo (and its denizens) have been waiting for.

This biggest problem I had with his inconsistancy is that he never gave us that "big" game.  He'd have plenty of clunkers and then come back with a solid outing.  He wasn't a feast or famine QB, he was a square meal or famine QB....which isn't good enough.  If you're going to suck sometimes you had better have some Brett Favre like big games at other times.

240731[/snapback]

Actually, I did not want Bledsoe at all...at the time, I was one of those who was hoping we would sign Jeff Blake as a stop-gap guy, until something better came along. I remember posting at the time, when it was rumoured that the Bills might be interested in Bledsoe, that he was a less mobile Rob Johnson. I was reamed!

Honestly, though, I changed my mind on him once he got here. I know you say he was never great, but solid at best. Don't forget though, how great he was the first 10 games or so, of the 2002 season. I have been watching Buffalo Bills football since 1973, and I know for a fact, no Bills QB in that time (including Jim Kelly) put together such a near flawless string of games. He was amazing. Just think of that second game he played with the Bills, the OT shootout against the Vikings. The pass he made to Peerless Price, to tie the game, and throw it into OT, was maybe the most amazing pass I have ever seen from a Bills QB. It was a perfect strike (about 23 yards or so, if I remember) into ultra-tight coverage. That play sold me on Bledsoe.

What has followed has beem disappointing to be sure, but I for one will be sad to see Bledsoe go. I know there is a cynical streak in all of us, but Bledsoe, in addition to having some amazing flashes of brilliance, was a very likeable guy. I had no problem pulling for him, and would have no problem pulling for him again this season, if he were not leaving. I really don't buy all this sound-bite stuff that the Bills cannot go anywhere with Bledsoe. Far worse QB's have made it to Super Bowls, and even won them. But, it is too late for all of that, the Bledsoe era is over.

Now, just because I would like to see Bledsoe back next season, that does not mean that I a JP basher, or don't think he can get it done. I will pull for him as hard as I do for any Bills signal caller (even Flutie, who I loathed before, during and after his tenure in Buffalo), because that is what I do...

Drew Bledsoe is 2 and 0 in AFC Champ. games. He's won 4 play of games and had two long winning streaks to get his team in the play offs in 1994 and 1996. Won three games with pin intersted in his index finger to propell the patriots into the play offs- in 1998-- all of which were big games. To say he's never been able to win the big game is wrong

I just wonder if Joshh Reed does not get a Penalty late in the third against the Steelers, would DB still be the starting QB of the Bills. Bills would have 1st and goal, with a chance to go up by 8- knife in the heart of the Steelers.

For what its worth, I don't think Drew is the same player he was before he got hurt in NE. I can't remember any NFL player before has come back after losing two thirds of his blood. He took lots of shots and kept getting up. Broken fingers, concussions and near death experiences can take its toll on a QB.

Is till think he can play. I'd like to see what he would have done with one more year in MMs system. but I understand the move.

What bothers me is venim that people spew. Why is it so personal. Save it for the people who show no heart and no toughness.

240623[/snapback]

Ditto.

i feel ya, man. i remember that PC at the ralph when they introduced the CFL uniforms and i thought, "this is the start of the bills' return to greatness" when bledsoe was at the podium. for the first half of that first season, it was like the early 90s again -- at least on offense.

DB is a classy guy who doesn't deserve to have the sort of things said about him, personally, that have been said. as for his play...well, we have all seen the steady decline. it has been frustrating, being temporarily pacified when he launches the cannon and hits a big play, only to have our hearts broken by a crucial fumble, missed read, or errant throw. i still can't get the play in dallas last year out of my head. it's 4th down and your 11 year veteran "throws the ball away" out of bounds. it's just time.

good luck to ya, drew. you were good for the bills' franchise in a number of ways, and a classy representative of the organization.

Marvelous post, John. While I never shared your initial excitement about Drew coming to Buffalo, after all was said and done, I wanted him to succeed here. It's sad for everyone involved that it didn't work out that way.

Thank you, Drew Bledsoe, for trying. I hope life treats you well and you land somewhere where things work out for you.

I feel the exact same way... I just remember getting so pumped on draft day 2002 when they broke in that the trade had been made. I immediately threw on all of my bills clothes and went to the commons (at RIT) to proclaim the return to greatness. Then there was that vikings game... One of the top 5 regular season games in bills history, if you ask me. Wow...

Then he began to show signs of slipping. The team took 3 steps back after about week 8 of the 2002 season, and another 3 after that the next year. The bills did rebound this year, but the height of the rebound wasn't made possible by drew, it was held back. I feel like a lot of you that it won't be a complete "see ya, hardly knew ya" feeling, like i had with RJ and flutie in 2002. Drew was and is a classy guy, and a broken down, once very very good quarterback. As i've always said, if drew was a jerk, he'd have been gone last year. He's not, so it will be hard. I'm just glad that the team is having its PC today just so they can show some dignity. For as much as drew's talent has fallen, he still ranks pretty high in the NFLPA.... I don't want him to have anything bad to say about the bills. As for you personally, no hard feelings. If i was critical, it was at your football skills and their relation to this team, not as a guy. Drew, good luck man... Have fun in the NFC.