In the last 20 years the Bills have

Drafted only 3 quarterbacks within the first 6 rounds. And 1 (levi brown) in the 7th. Does anyone else find this remarkable for a team that hasn't had anything resembling a franchise QB in the last 20 years.

I challenge anyone to find a team without a true franchise QB for 20 years with less picks used at the QB position.

The only thing i can figure is what a reflection this is of incompetence by the Bills organization, namely general managers during this time. Kind of hard to find a franchise guy using retreads in the NFL. 95% of the time no QB worth a damn is going to be available through trades or free agency.

Any thoughts? Or is everyone else amazed by this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They spent a 1st and a 4th on Johnson and another 1st on Bledsoe. That should be factored into the equation. So in those 20 years they invested four 1st round picks on four QBs. That is not exactly ignoring it or not being willing to invest a high pick in the position.

I wonder how many other teams have invested that many first round picks in their QB position.

GO BILLS!!!

Drafted only 3 quarterbacks within the first 6 rounds. And 1 (levi brown) in the 7th. Does anyone else find this remarkable for a team that hasn't had anything resembling a franchise QB in the last 20 years.

I challenge anyone to find a team without a true franchise QB for 20 years with less picks used at the QB position.

The only thing i can figure is what a reflection this is of incompetence by the Bills organization, namely general managers during this time. Kind of hard to find a franchise guy using retreads in the NFL. 95% of the time no QB worth a damn is going to be available through trades or free agency.

Any thoughts? Or is everyone else amazed by this?

Well, I'm amazed that we haven't tried but considering this organization not surprising.

With Pegula here he will turn this around but hopefully he doesn't wait a few yrs before he realizes we need a QB this draft and everyone after till we find one.

They spent a 1st and a 4th on Johnson and another 1st on Bledsoe. That should be factored into the equation. So in those 20 years they invested four 1st round picks on four QBs. That is not exactly ignoring it or not being willing to invest a high pick in the position.

I wonder how many other teams have invested that many first round picks in their QB position.

GO BILLS!!!

I see your point K9 but your actually making my point of trying to find retread QBs instead of drafting and developing untapped potential. I think there is much more value in drafting and molding a prospect than picking off the scrap heap.

But apparently the Bills support your investment strategy which might be how we got here.

GO BILLS!!!

I did the analysis somewhere in the offseason.... it wasn't 20 years it was maybe 12 or something but the Bills are right near the top in terms of capital invested in Quarterbacks in that period. The Browns I think had spent more (with no success) and there were a couple of others right there with us. But we spent a first on Bledsoe, a first on Losman and a first on EJ. Not many teams, even those you think of as being in QB purgatory have spent that many first round picks on Quarterbacks in a 10-12 year period.

Maybe they should have drafted rather than trading for Bledsoe... and I agree a few more Edwards-like fliers on 3rd rounders would not go amiss but the key is finding the right guy that is where they have failed... on evaluating who is the right guy.

I see your point K9 but your actually making my point of trying to find retread QBs instead of drafting and developing untapped potential. I think there is much more value in drafting and molding a prospect than picking off the scrap heap.

But apparently the Bills support your investment strategy which might be how we got here.

They spent four picks alone on JP Losman:

Traded 2004 second and fifth and 2005 first and spent the 22nd.

Well, I'm amazed that we haven't tried but considering this organization not surprising.

With Pegula here he will turn this around but hopefully he doesn't wait a few yrs before he realizes we need a QB this draft and everyone after till we find one.

I kinda think they realize it now! When asked by a reporter on 60 min sports "what are the missing pieces" Kim Pegula stated QB, and Terry hemmed and hawed. From what I understand Terry is the hockey lover, and football watcher. While Kim is the football lover, and hockey watcher is just my opinion. These people didn't become billionaires by sheer luck, and are in fact brilliant at whatever they get involved in.

There was initial talk that the Pegula's would hire a football czar to oversee the football operations side of the team, and that never came about once Bill Polian backed out. This team needs someone at the top of the flow chart with the experience in building a playoff team like Polian.

Your point was that the Bills haven't invested any resources to get a quarterback.

That's patently false given all the counter information you've now been presented with.

The Bills have been, IMO, afraid of QB controversies and they've avoided that for several years. In '09 Brandon went out of his way to say signing Fitzpatrick in free agency was not a challenge to Edwards. And after Edwards was DFA'd after week 3 in the 2010 season, no one was acquired to challenge Fitz for the remainder of his tenure in Buffalo.

Manuel was picked in 2013 after Kolb was inexplicably signed to be a speed bump to EJ's ascendance as starter. Only after what I suspect was Marrone's insistence on signing Orton did Whaley agree to terms with the latter. This year, the Bills signed people and held an open competition, which is the result of having a real coaching staff (albeit one that's struggled).

Undervaluing, single-mindedness and bad evaluation of QB's has been a common denominator in the decade and a half of fail.

The Bills have been, IMO, afraid of QB controversies and they've avoided that for several years. In '09 Brandon went out of his way to say signing Fitzpatrick in free agency was not a challenge to Edwards. And after Edwards was DFA'd after week 3 in the 2010 season, no one was acquired to challenge Fitz for the remainder of his tenure in Buffalo.

Manuel was picked in 2013 after Kolb was inexplicably signed to be a speed bump to EJ's ascendance as starter. Only after what I suspect was Marrone's insistence on signing Orton did Whaley agree to terms with the latter. This year, the Bills signed people and held an open competition, which is the result of having a real coaching staff (albeit one that's struggled).

Undervaluing, single-mindedness and bad evaluation of QB's has been a common denominator in the decade and a half of fail.

The question that always arises during this conversation: okay, so who should have been brought in?

This is well mined territory, but I don't agree that pursuing a proven veteran QB ( Bledsoe) or trading for a young prospect were bad strategy as a whole. The Bills spent a 2nd on Todd Collins. That turned out badly which led to the Johnson trade. The trade was made worse by the fact the Bills could have drafted Johnson instead of Collins ( even a round or so later) in '95 draft. So those two missteps were intertwined and accounted for a 1st and 2nd. That took 5 years to play out between two starting QBs. Then Donahoe made the Bledsoe trade, that was allowed 2 seasons before drafting JP Losman with another 1st rounder in 04draft ( swapped '05 1st for late round '04 first) Btw, Donahoe engineered a trade up with Texans in '04 to draft Roethlisberger that Houston backed out of after agreeing to terms. So for that time period, while none of those moves were ultimately successful, effort was being made. The Collins / Johnson thing could have been done for lower picks and was likely the worst misstep. I look to the time period post Losman as dubious. It seemed as though the organization was under directive not to spend top picks on unproven QBs. This may have been due to contracts being given out under the old CBA, that Ralph was not a fan of and voted against. Since the new CBA ( post Bradford) the Bills haven't been in position to land a top pick like Cam Newton, but Nix ignored several good performers in the 2nd and third rounds. I think Nix was most responsible for the current situation. Donahoe tried, Butler screwed up, and Levy was a figurehead that did little, waiting for Losman to develop.

The question that always arises during this conversation: okay, so who should have been brought in?

This debate is higher than players on the field. It's about why GM's from 2006-2013 insisted on 1 guy only and didn't push for competition at the game's most crucial spot. What happens on the field is symptomatic of what happens off it during the off-season.

You tell me why the Bills didn't pursue options and I'll answer your question about who should have been selected.

They spent four picks alone on JP Losman:

Traded 2004 second and fifth and 2005 first and spent the 22nd.

This just shows the stupidity at the top of the flow chart in wasted first round picks.

JP Losman 2004 & 2005 two first rounders...really? :doh: , John McCargo 2006 :doh: , Marshawn Lynch 2007 only three and a half years in Bflo, and five and a half years in Seattle a 5 time pro bowler with 6 1000 yard seasons now looking like a future HoF RB for a fourth round pick :doh:

Aaron Maybin 2009 :doh: CJ Spiller 2010 a RB when the team was desperate for a LT :doh: Sammy Watkins two first rounders for a fragile WR when the team still doesn't have a franchise QB, 2014 & 2015 :doh:

and it is ongoing...In 2014 the Bills could have drafted Odell Beckham Jr, then traded up, and gotten QB Derek Carr in the 2nd round who is looking like the real deal in Oakland. Plus, they would still have had that 2015 first round pick. :doh:

When will this team ever see that franchise QB again?

This just shows the stupidity at the top of the flow chart in wasted first round picks.

JP Losman 2004 & 2005 two first rounders...really? :doh: , John McCargo 2006 :doh: , Marshawn Lynch 2007 only three and a half years in Bflo, and five and a half years in Seattle a 5 time pro bowler with 6 1000 yard seasons now looking like a future HoF RB for a fourth round pick :doh:

Aaron Maybin 2009 :doh: CJ Spiller 2010 a RB when the team was desperate for a LT :doh: Sammy Watkins two first rounders for a fragile WR when the team still doesn't have a franchise QB, 2014 & 2015 :doh:

and it is ongoing...In 2014 the Bills could have drafted Odell Beckham Jr, then traded up, and gotten QB Derek Carr in the 2nd round who is looking like the real deal in Oakland. Plus, they would still have had that 2015 first round pick. :doh:

When will this team ever see that franchise QB again?

Taylor is going to be our franchise QB. How could we have traded up and gotten Carr in the 2nd round when he was selected in the 1st?