PI on Graham's Pick 6

OhDozeBills

I haven't really heard much about this, but on Graham's pick 6 did anyone think that play would be called back for PI? Not sure who it was, but it looked like one of our DB's knocked down one of the Jags receivers in the middle of his route. I kept looking for a flag but it never came and wasn't mentioned on the broadcast. Just seeing if anyone else thought this.

I haven't really heard much about this, but on Graham's pick 6 did anyone think that play would be called back for PI? Not sure who it was, but it looked like one of our DB's knocked down one of the Jags receivers in the middle of his route. I kept looking for a flag but it never came and wasn't mentioned on the broadcast. Just seeing if anyone else thought this.

Unfortunately, I think this on every positive play these days. So to answer your question, yes.

I was thinking the same thing. From my view, which wasn't the best I'll admit, I thought it was PI. It may have been incidental contact but I don't know, looked like we got away with one there. That's why I'm not so upset over the horrible PI called against Robey on the last drive.

I was thinking the same thing. From my view, which wasn't the best I'll admit, I thought it was PI. It may have been incidental contact but I don't know, looked like we got away with one there. That's why I'm not so upset over the horrible PI called against Robey on the last drive.

you're not upset with a phantom PI call that basically handed them new life and in turn losing us the game?..

They won't call PI if the ball doesn't appear catchable. They will give a ton of leeway to the WR making a play, so that pass was really horrible. It looked like a punt, good no call. The phantom PI was also a pass that was off the mark. Ribeye didn't make contact anyway so call was even worse.

Err Robey. Damn autocorrect

Even if uncatchable I still thought it would be illegal contact or something, but I don't know what the rule is for this exactly. The way the game is being called I guess I just always look for a flag after a big play. Refs play way too much a factor in games anymore. Would love for the NFL to change PI calls to the 15 yard penalty like in College.

Unfortunately, I think this on every positive play these days. So to answer your question, yes.

Exactly. And, it's always something I don't see. This time I actually see what I think is PI, and it isn't called.

Even if uncatchable I still thought it would be illegal contact or something, but I don't know what the rule is for this exactly. The way the game is being called I guess I just always look for a flag after a big play. Refs play way too much a factor in games anymore. Would love for the NFL to change PI calls to the 15 yard penalty like in College.

Per the NFL rules, illegal contact cannot be called once the ball is in the air

At first I thought it would be called, but the ball was 15 yards past the receiver. Gilmore impeded the guy's progress, but the ball was nowhere near the man. Once it's in the air, apparently you can bump a guy unless the pass is catchable.

The receiver was on the ground though, so it was hard to say whether he could have gotten there. It could have been called, and if it had been I probably wouldn't have complained too much. I thought the Bills may gotten away with one there.

Edited by dave mcbride

Looked like Gilmore grabbed him, but there was no way the WR makes that catch with the throw being so far beyond both of them: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Graham-takes-it-to-the-house/6a9d14c2-24b6-4aae-8b84-f97e15ecd151

thanks. I don't know about him not getting there - Gilmore basically held him up and tackled him. He was on the ground when the ball landed. I remain a little surprised that it wasn't called, but what the hey -- I'll take it! It's about time we got a call.

Looked like Gilmore grabbed him, but there was no way the WR makes that catch with the throw being so far beyond both of them: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Graham-takes-it-to-the-house/6a9d14c2-24b6-4aae-8b84-f97e15ecd151

Actually in looking at that play again, I am convinced now that it was most definitely NOT PI. In fact, it looked like the receiver saw that the ball was overthrown and flopped, hoping to draw a flag. He immediately waved his hand for the flag -- but didn't protest too much. The replay also showed the Jags' coaching staff -- and there did not appear to be any outrage on their part in feeling that a penalty had been overlooked.

If anything, the flag that WAS thrown against the Bills for excessive celebration was ridiculous. Fortunately, Gay did such a good job squibbing the kickoff that the penalty was not a factor.

Actually in looking at that play again, I am convinced now that it was most definitely NOT PI. In fact, it looked like the receiver saw that the ball was overthrown and flopped, hoping to draw a flag. He immediately waved his hand for the flag -- but didn't protest too much. The replay also showed the Jags' coaching staff -- and there did not appear to be any outrage on their part in feeling that a penalty had been overlooked.

If anything, the flag that WAS thrown against the Bills for excessive celebration was ridiculous. Fortunately, Gay did such a good job squibbing the kickoff that the penalty was not a factor.

I think the receiver saw the overthrow and stopped in his tracks to turn back and ended up running into Gilmore. That can't be PI.