Failed Expectations, Rex Ryan is not a leader of men

If the Pegula's had waited another two weeks to hire their HC John Fox would have been available. Fox stepped away from a 12-4 Denver team when John Elway wanted to hire his old friend Gary Kubiak as HC.

Plus, they could have had a shot of hiring Dan Quinn away from Seattle after the super bowl. Quinn's Falcons are currently 6-1. Then, why let the Jets hire Todd Bowles who is 4-2 with that #1 defense?

Lets face some facts here that the teams CEO is still making the hiring decisions, or manipulating the new owners to do his bidding.

Perhaps they might have had interest in Fox as they wanted a name guy, Bowles and Quinn were first time HC hires . That's not what they were after. Its easy to say they should have hired the other guy. The players on those teams are more of a difference than the coach. You may disagree. The Jets had the nucleus of a good D but were lousy at the corners. The O had no elite WR and a dumpster fire turnover machine at QB. A HOF CB, top WR in Marshall, and average ( but still an upgrade) QB kn Fitz were all added. Matt Ryan is a very good QB. The players have more to do with what happens on the field .

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps they might have had interest in Fox as they wanted a name guy, Bowles and Quinn were first time HC hires . That's not what they were after. Its easy to say they should have hired the other guy. The players on those teams are more of a difference than the coach. You may disagree. The Jets had the nucleus of a good D but were lousy at the corners. The O had no elite WR and a dumpster fire turnover machine at QB. A HOF CB, top WR in Marshall, and average ( but still an upgrade) QB kn Fitz were all added. Matt Ryan is a very good QB. The players have more to do with what happens on the field .

How can you say that when you can clearly see the effect of all those penalties? Against the NY Giants the Bills had 17 for 135 yards, and gave the Giants 7 first downs by penalty! That is just ridiculous, and on the coaches for lack of discipline!

Or the lack of pressure on the QB this year by this years defense. This year the Buffalo Bills are 29th in sack percentage, and were #1 in 2014- #2 in 2013. This with basically the very same players, and clearly a bad scheme.

Lets face facts here that this is already looking like a another lost season under Rex Ryan. The man has nine games to turn things around, and he still could. Stranger things have happened.

How can you say that when you can clearly see the effect of all those penalties? Against the NY Giants the Bills had 17 for 135 yards, and gave the Giants 7 first downs by penalty! That is just ridiculous, and on the coaches for lack of discipline!

Or the lack of pressure on the QB this year by this years defense. This year the Buffalo Bills are 29th in sack percentage, and were #1 in 2014- #2 in 2013. This with basically the very same players, and clearly a bad scheme.

Lets face facts here that this is already looking like a another lost season under Rex Ryan. The man has nine games to turn things around, and he still could. Stranger things have happened.

I only recall one Bills coach getting a penalty ( Ryan vs NE) . I believe all others were against players on the field. Do you think they were advised by Bills coaches to commit PF's? All penalties are not equal, either. A PF or pre snap penalty is the worst. Sometimes a guy just gets beat and holds or commits interference to prevent an even bigger play. You have to judge each one on its own. I also recall quite a few phantom penalties so far. Penalties are not good,but they are pretty much on players, not coaches.

I can't believe how many people are down on Rex. I don't really fault him with anything with the exception of the NE gameplan.

It comes down to the players and there are a lot of overrated and/or declining players on this roster IMO.

Ah, a voice of reason in a forest of overreaction. The Bills truly have only lost one game that they should have won, the Giants game. The offense was terrible and the defense let a 1 yard pass go for a 51 yd TD. That's it. There's no way this team can beat NE and trying to beat CIN with EJ Manuel is a minute chance as well. EJ M was so bad vs JAX that expecting a win after his meltdown was beyond unlikely. The Giants game is the only one I see that clearly should have been a win.

It's just a fact about Belichick, though I believe he is head and shoulders above all other coaches. The Pegulas obviously wanted someone THEY were comfortable with long term, hence the 5 year deal. The great 'Tom Bowles" has better players in key spots than last years Jets. Maybe you didn't notice. I'm not trying to reconcile anything, just that pinning all that ails the Bills on coaching is just a convenient excuse. The Falcons have a much better QB than the Bills and it's probably got a lot to do with their winning. If some random coordinator had been hired by the Bills, and the record/ injuries etc were all the same, I'm certain we'd be hearing the diatribe of what an uninspired hire the Pegulas made , and why didn't they hire a name head coach? I don't dismiss coaching, I just believe more in Jimmy's and Joes than X's and O's. Everyone is so willing to give their beloved players a pass.

And tts Todd Bowles BTW.. Hence the quotes

The Belichick situation has been unfairly characterized. When he started his tenure with the downtrodden Browns he was in the beginning of a major rebuilding process starting with the front office, scouting department, coaches and roster. After a year or two the franchise had a new owner who who wanted to make his own hires. The new owner fired BB and his staff and installed his own people. The owner exercised his prerogative in making those staff changes. Without a doubt he made a very foolish mistake that to this day has negatively affected this stupendously troubled franchise. If the new owner would have allowed BB a reasonable amount of time to right the ship the history of the franchise would have been much different.

The Pegulas hired Rex Ryan. Why? He had a (4 or 5 year?) stint with the Jets. His record as a HC was established and by any reasonable evaluation his record was less than mediocre. What made him so appealing as a candidate? His lively personality? His big mouth? His colorful tattoos? It certainly wasn't his record as a HC with the Jets.

You are inaccurately characterizing my position on RR. I have never said that he is the source of all that ails this franchise. What I am unequivocally saying is that from a coaching standpoint he is a mediocre presence. Whether the Bills have a franchise qb or a deficient roster in general is not the issue. You coach up the players you have and from that standpoint he is doing a poor job.

The Bills are one of the most penalized teams in the league. Coaching matters. The players have demonstrated a lack of discipline and intelligence in the way they have played. Coaching matters. You can mock Tom Bowles all you want. The difference between him and Rex is that Bowles is much more mature and substantive than the more boisterous Rex and it is reflected in how his team performs compared to how Rex's team performs.

Bruce Ariens is not the type of person who is going light up the room he enters while Rex will always garner the spotlight. Ariens is an immensely better coach than Rex. My point is simple: When you hire mediocrity you get mediocrity. For me it is evident by the way this team has played (short handed or not). The Pegulas made a mistake when they hired him. What is discouraging is that he is in the very beginning of his long term contract.

The Belichick situation has been unfairly characterized. When he started his tenure with the downtrodden Browns he was in the beginning of a major rebuilding process starting with the front office, scouting department, coaches and roster. After a year or two the franchise had a new owner who who wanted to make his own hires. The new owner fired BB and his staff and installed his own people. The owner exercised his prerogative in making those staff changes. Without a doubt he made a very foolish mistake that to this day has negatively affected this stupendously troubled franchise. If the new owner would have allowed BB a reasonable amount of time to right the ship the history of the franchise would have been much different.

The Pegulas hired Rex Ryan. Why? He had a (4 or 5 year?) stint with the Jets. His record as a HC was established and by any reasonable evaluation his record was less than mediocre. What made him so appealing as a candidate? His lively personality? His big mouth? His colorful tattoos? It certainly wasn't his record as a HC with the Jets.

You are inaccurately characterizing my position on RR. I have never said that he is the source of all that ails this franchise. What I am unequivocally saying is that from a coaching standpoint he is a mediocre presence. Whether the Bills have a franchise qb or a deficient roster in general is not the issue. You coach up the players you have and from that standpoint he is doing a poor job.

The Bills are one of the most penalized teams in the league. Coaching matters. The players have demonstrated a lack of discipline and intelligence in the way they have played. Coaching matters. You can mock Tom Bowles all you want. The difference between him and Rex is that Bowles is much more mature and substantive than the more boisterous Rex and it is reflected in how his team performs compared to how Rex's team performs.

Bruce Ariens is not the type of person who is going light up the room he enters while Rex will always garner the spotlight. Ariens is an immensely better coach than Rex. My point is simple: When you hire mediocrity you get mediocrity. For me it is evident by the way this team has played (short handed or not). The Pegulas made a mistake when they hired him. What is discouraging is that he is in the very beginning of his long term contract.

And if Ariens had been available the Bills ( and many others) would have been bidding for his services. He wasn't . Belichick did not have a god record with the Pats before Brady and was on the hot seat. That's a fact. I'm still not sure what your point is. We can list coaches all day that weren't available. They didn't want to go the unproven , inexperienced coordinator route. They took into consideration what Ryan did in his early tenure with the Jets as well as the later years. You just don't see teams make sweeping changes one year or less into a guys tenure. It would be knee - jerk and foolish. The Pegulas like Ryan's personality. That's all that matters. They own the team. The previous regime was fond of the lifeless milquetoast type. That failed. Might as well try something different. The Bills ( and other teams) lost plenty of games with subdued personalities that you describe . It's personal preference. It truly means jack squat on the football field. For every Tom Landry there is a Bill Cowher.

The Bills have been one of the most penalized teams going on 3 years now, through 2 regimes.

This isn't a Rex Ryan problem. It is a player problem.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Last year the defense was great. Now they are not. That is a Rex problem. ST have declined as well. As HC, that is a Rex problem. If the players are trying to set a league record for penalties, that is a reflection of the HC. As the leader of the team, Rex is accountable if they under-perform, which is the case. I hope he turns it around, but winning a press conference and driving a cool truck doesn't get you into the playoffs.

It isn't a coincidence that the Bills have a head coach who talks like he has accomplished a lot as a head coach, which he hasn't, and players who appear to have views of their skills that have not materialized on the field. Penalties are to a very large extent a result of lack of focus and/or laziness. Players often reflect their head coach. Marv Levy wasn't particularly successful at KC but when he came to Buffalo you didn't hear a bunch of BS bravado. He just got down to work. Winning the press conference should be the least of a head coach's concerns, but with Rex it appears to his main goal (and perhaps only above average head coaching skill).

It isn't a coincidence that the Bills have a head coach who talks like he has accomplished a lot as a head coach, which he hasn't, and players who appear to have views of their skills that have not materialized on the field. Penalties are to a very large extent a result of lack of focus and/or laziness. Players often reflect their head coach. Marv Levy wasn't particularly successful at KC but when he came to Buffalo you didn't hear a bunch of BS bravado. He just got down to work. Winning the press conference should be the least of a head coach's concerns, but with Rex it appears to his main goal (and perhaps only above average head coaching skill).

Pretty much agree. With sll. Well stated.

Rex Ryan is not a good coach. A good coach does not talk a good game and not deliver. I'd rather have a coach who keeps his mouth shut and knows how to coach. Give me Belichick any day. Also, a good coach would not come in and attempt to change a defensive scheme, with the same players who performed it so successfully. It's the old expression "if It ain't broken, don't fix it." Rex fixed nothing, he totally screwed up what worked so well. Finally, a good coach coaches a disciplined team. Tell me about Rex in that regard.

And again, why was Levy not particularly successful? And did all those HOF players assembled at OBD in the '90s has something go do with his success? Or did they win due to his personality? I believe it is players. Marc's best quality ( at least early on) is that he wasn't afraid to hire talented assistants and let them do their jobs. But I get it . You don't like Rex's style. I don't mind it. I don't think it matters at all on the field. All kinds have won in the NFL. The peripherals , such as styles of dealing with the media, etc don't have a big impact. It just makes things a bit more interesting.

Rex Ryan is not a good coach. A good coach does not talk a good game and not deliver. I'd rather have a coach who keeps his mouth shut and knows how to coach. Give me Belichick any day. Also, a good coach would not come in and attempt to change a defensive scheme, with the same players who performed it so successfully. It's the old expression "if It ain't broken, don't fix it." Rex fixed nothing, he totally screwed up what worked so well. Finally, a good coach coaches a disciplined team. Tell me about Rex in that regard.

Gee, " give me " the ( widely regarded as thd best HC of his era) any day. Going out on a limb there huh? How about one of the myriad other boring types that haven't been big winners? Take them any day? Let's not pretend tha Pats winning % has something to do with BB 's comatose demeanor. The guy just hates talking to the press and always has.

It's not players OR coaches, it's players AND coaches. We have the players. It's the coach and the scheme holding them back. Again... basically the same guys as last year. Which D do you prefer? I know my answer.

The good coach will elevate decent players. The bad coach will make great players just average.

The way I analyze this year is that Mario and Kyle are declining assets, Hughes and Dareus are underperforming since they received their big contracts, Bradham is overrated, Lawson is one dimensional, the entire offensive line is a mess, the entire WR core is overrated, our main RB asset is in decline, the secondary has played way better than expected but lack depth...oh yeah special teams is a complete disaster.

...and we still have a question mark about Taylor, when playing has been very good thus far IMO.

IMO this is not a playoff roster.

The Bills have been one of the most penalized teams going on 3 years now, through 2 regimes.

b]This isn't a Rex Ryan problem. It is a player problem.[/b].

If you believe that a coach doesn't have the ability to correct or at a minimum reduce a persistent player discipline problem then you and I have a fundamental disagreement over one of the primary responsibilities that a HC has. What I know for sure is that handing out bracelets is not a solution to this type of nagging problem. How about taking the miscreant off the field and demonstrating to the problem player and his teammates that you are serious in getting this stupidity problem corrected? It's called holding players accountable! And it is not a new concept.

so it has come to this for you? you know you have that choice, don't you?

The way I analyze this year is that Mario and Kyle are in declining assets, Hughes and Dareus are underperforming, Bradham is overrated, Lawson is one dimensional, the entire offensive line is a mess, the entire WR core is overrated, our main RB asset is in decline, the secondary has played way better than expected but lack depth...oh yeah special teams is a complete disaster.

...and we still have a question mark about Taylor, when playing has been very good thus far IMO.

IMO this is not a playoff roster.

Wow I've heard of glass half empty, but you've emptied the bottle. Perhaps literally. Hope you can get up tomorrow morning.

If you believe that a coach doesn't have the ability to correct or at a minimum reduce a persistent player discipline problem then you and I have a fundamental disagreement over one of the primary responsibilities that a HC has. What I know for sure is that handing out bracelets is not a solution to this type of nagging problem. How about taking the miscreant off the field and demonstrating to the problem player and his teammates that you are serious in getting this stupidity problem corrected? It's called holding players accountable! And it is not a new concept.

So what do you say about Belichick then? They have been in the same situation with penalties over the last couple of years as well.

I believe the Pats and Bills were the most penalized teams last year. Belichick must have failed his primary responsibilities as HC?

I will say this on the defense

The season is not over yet.....they could still turn it around and play their best ball through the second half of the season

easily. still in the developmental and learning stages. That is why the players are frustrated. and then the Fans.

Maybe Bills wont find the groove. But then again they might.

No one should be closing their minds so soon.

if six was nine?

I dont mind

I dont mind