Failed Expectations, Rex Ryan is not a leader of men

Echoing some thoughts on this thread:

*Rex's ego is a big problem with lack of leadership and gets in the way of a lot of things. As noted, he wants to get cute and make weekly captains, but the lack of permanent captains fuels lack of accountability to each other. Why not let players elect captains for O/D/ST and then add 1 special weekly captain? Former Giant DE Osi Umenyiora had an interesting comment about the D and DL: he didn't see them all flying to the ball to gang tackle like last year. That comes from lack of accountability to each other.

*Examples of Rex ego: he processes everything in the filter of Rex. Titans game was Rex v. Wisenhut. When Dareus signed his $ extension and Rex was asked for comment, his first reaction was "I wish I was a better player. Holy cow that's a lot of money." This from one of the best paid coaches in the league. As Madden said when asked about Rex: "Well, I saw him eat a dog biscuit. But at some point you have to coach to win in this league...."

*Our inability to make halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball is troubling. (Bellicheat commented how long we stayed with a plan that wasn't working.) We are DEAD LAST in 3rd quarter points allowed. Jets are FIRST with FG to Pats today the only points all year. (We are 27th in 3d Q scoring offense.) https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opp-3rd-quarter-points-per-game Last year under Schwartz, defensive adjustments was a strong suit (as was gang tackling).

*I am willing to give this staff a full year to make final conclusions, but right now it sure looks like Rex is Wad Phillips v2, but with a tummy tuck and a man purse.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Echoing some thoughts on this thread:

*Rex's ego is a big problem with lack of leadership and gets in the way of a lot of things. As noted, he wants to get cute and make weekly captains, but the lack of permanent captains fuels lack of accountability to each other. Why not let players elect captains for O/D/ST and then add 1 special weekly captain? Former Giant DE Osi Umenyiora had an interesting comment about the D and DL: he didn't see them all flying to the ball to gang tackle like last year. That comes from lack of accountability to each other.

*Examples of Rex ego: he processes everything in the filter of Rex. Titans game was Rex v. Wisenhut. When Dareus signed his $ extension and Rex was asked for comment, his first reaction was "I wish I was a better player. Holy cow that's a lot of money." This from one of the best paid coaches in the league. As Madden said when asked about Rex: "Well, I saw him eat a dog biscuit. But at some point you have to coach to win in this league...."

*Our inability to make halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball is troubling. (Bellicheat commented how long we stayed with a plan that wasn't working.) We are DEAD LAST in 3rd quarter points allowed. Jets are FIRST with FG to Pats today the only points all year. (We are 27th in 3d Q scoring offense.) https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opp-3rd-quarter-points-per-game Last year under Schwartz, defensive adjustments was a strong suit (as was gang tackling).

*I am willing to give this staff a full year to make final conclusions, but right now it sure looks like Rex is Wad Phillips v2, but with a tummy tuck and a man purse.

Wade Phillips was the last good coach the Bills had and got us into the playoffs. I'll take it.

Holy cow....what??

happened with jets and they really went down the tubes as he gained more power over idzik

Rex and others can talk about injuries but on defense we really only missed AW until KW got hurt and defense not dominate at all as compared to past two seasons where we had more injuries on defense. Considering like 75 o/o of team's salary is on defense, this is really a concern.

Edited by BuffaloBillsMagic1

On the positive side:

Watching from the stadium, this is a completely different game if EJ plays well. Bills did a pretty good job of shutting down the #7 QB in the league by yardage (Bortles). Sounds like a lot of you guys don't realize that even though they're 1-5, the Jags offense is pretty good. He had his worst completion % of the season this week and threw for the least amount of yards.

Rex let the DEs line up wide and rushed the passer, exactly what we wanted, and they looked pretty good doing it.

I think we win this game easy if Tyrod plays.

On the negative side:

Yeldon killing us in the ground game was disappointing. That's the right strategy vs Jacksonville's offense but it was still not great for this defense.

EJ missed seeing Charles Clay twice for wide open TDs. In fact, EJ missed a ton of open receivers in the first half. If he hits one or two of those instead of turning the ball over for scores we win this game.

Overall - IMO the biggest problem here was the QB injury. We've got to get another QB who can compete next year and get rid of EJ. I can't say I fault Whaley because he tried with McCown and then there was no one left on the market (Cassel blows), but it's killing us. I thought the defense was better today and will continue to improve coming out of the bye week. The question is whether we can get healthy enough on offense with a QB that can take advantage of the matchups. I love Tyrod, but without him we're toast.

I don't put this game on Rex or Whaley. I don't have another realistic option at QB that would have won us this game. Cassel is awful and so is EJ.

One can only imagine the meeting between Rex & Jim Schwartz:

Rex "Jim, I want to drop our linemen back into coverage"

Jim "Hahahaha, that is so stupid it is hilarious, you gotta be kidding".

Rex, "You're fired".

You missed "I am a defensive genius" and "I know where this will end up"

The apologists never seize to amaze me. Not Rex's fault the D played well, the refs didn't hurt us with their call of PI because our pick 6 was PI, EJ didn't cause the loss Roman's play calls did.........blah, blah, balah. No wonder we are such losers. Oh and Whaley apologists.....his transactions haven't worked out enough is a fact.

Ya know, I didn't want to say anything, but I certainly thought a case could have been made for PI on Graham's pick-6. I'd have to see it again.

I dont agree, and I didn't hear "many" former players other than dopey Jace Amaro say Rex lost the locker room or wasnt always accountable.

He gets his team to play hard, and we need a coach with a personality like him more today than any other time, going to the bye week and on a losing streak.

Im more concerned with the x's and o's right now. Defense is having periodic meltdowns, and Roman seems to be scripting nice opening drives but calling games that put too much pressure on the wrong players and not enough on the right ones (like Shady and Clay yesterday).

Miami game is 13 days away, we need to kick some ass and get back on track. This will be a good coaching test.

I dont agree, and I didn't hear "many" former players other than dopey Jace Amaro say Rex lost the locker room or wasnt always accountable.

He gets his team to play hard, and we need a coach with a personality like him more today than any other time, going to the bye week and on a losing streak.

Im more concerned with the x's and o's right now. Defense is having periodic meltdowns, and Roman seems to be scripting nice opening drives but calling games that put too much pressure on the wrong players and not enough on the right ones (like Shady and Clay yesterday).

Miami game is 13 days away, we need to kick some ass and get back on track. This will be a good coaching test.

Our safeties suck. They're a complete liability. And oh, by the way, they're expected to dictate Ryan's scheme.

We shut down the Jag-offs offffense for most of the game, then give up an 80-yard scoring drive with 3 minutes left The rap on Ryan is that his teams have always been undisciplined, as evidenced by the Bills on pace to set a new NFL are record in penalties.

Stupid costly penalties at the most inopportune times, sloppy tackling, and a defense that has regressed from one of the league's best to one that can't get off the field or shut down a drive at the most critical times - that's all Ryan has delivered so far.

People thought Rex could walk on water. Make him prove it - make him swim home from London.

It sure is hard to defend Rex right now. He took a team with more talent than most and neutered it, then looks flabbergasted at the result.

Well put. He's a bad used car salesmen now and I hate to say it, should probably be part of a housecleaning....

Our safeties suck. They're a complete liability. And oh, by the way, they're expected to dictate Ryan's scheme.

I hate to say this, but watching the Jets the Bills could really use a Calvin Pryor. He is a big body safety and was matching up with Gronk.

If things don't fall right for us in the draft and there is no Tackle or QB a star safety could help the Rex Ryan defense.

Don't be surprised if Rex ends up with more control of the franchise at the end of the year....I don't like it but I can pretty easily envision a scenario where that happens.

^^^Agree with you. EJ's 1st half melt down yesterday isn't going to bode well for Whaley and company. I read here that there were already reports of Rex and Whaley not being on the same page. Obviously a huge disagreement between them on the backup QB. Rex lost that fight and this is an issue that isn't going to go away anytime soon IMO. I'm not saying I agree with Ryan getting more power but wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Then maybe Rex should tailor the defense to fit the players strengths.

I hear you. I do. But in this case it's also tailoring a defense to hide a glaring weakness.

I hate to say this, but watching the Jets the Bills could really use a Calvin Pryor. He is a big body safety and was matching up with Gronk.

If things don't fall right for us in the draft and there is no Tackle or QB a star safety could help the Rex Ryan defense.

I fully expect safety to play a big part of the offseason plans.

And since we're locking up our own young talent, and since the GM has actually SAID that after the Clay and McCoy acquisitions that Bills fans should temper their FA expectations for next year: at this point in time, I'm about 80% sure our first draft pick in 2015 is a safety.

I hear you. I do. But in this case it's also tailoring a defense to hide a glaring weakness.

I fully expect safety to play a big part of the offseason plans.

And since we're locking up our own young talent, and since the GM has actually SAID that after the Clay and McCoy acquisitions that Bills fans should temper their FA expectations for next year: at this point in time, I'm about 80% sure our first draft pick in 2015 is a safety.

I could see us moving on from Cordy Glenn. It comes down to TT. If he craps the bed we are going to try to draft a QB.

I could see us moving on from Cordy Glenn. It comes down to TT. If he craps the bed we are going to try to draft a QB.

Glenn is having one bad season.

In order, here's who's not holding up their ends of the bargain this year, as far as falling shy of expectations go:

Glenn

Brown

Bradham

Graham

D. Williams

Henderson

John Miller

Eric Wood

That's both linebackers, both safeties, and everyone on the offensive line not named Richie.

I don't believe many resources will be tied up into the QB position this year.