Dennis Thurman is Rex Ryan's Albatross

dezertbill

Rex Ryan speaks very highly of Dennis Thurman, going as far to say one day he will be a Head Coach in the NFL.

But Rex's allegiance to Thurman hasn't brought in the greatest results, which makes their relationship a bit puzzling.

Thurman, who worked with Rex all the way back to his Raven days, took over as the Jets defense coordinator in 2013 after serving as their DB coach.

Since then, Ryan's coaching record is 15-23 (including this year's 3-3 start).

For being touted by Ryan as one of the best defensive minds in the league, Thurman's side of the ball ranks in the following categories:

JETS

Points Per Game Allowed- 19th

3rd Down % Allowed- 13th

Pass Yards Allowed/Game- 22nd

Plays of 40+ Allowed- 29th

Receiving TD's Allowed- 19th

PPG Allowed- 24th

3rd Down % Allowed- 30th

Pass Yards Allowed/Game- 14th

Plays of 40+ Allowed- T-27th

Receiving TD's Allowed- 30th

BILLS

Points Per Game Allowed- 16th

3rd Down % Allowed-16th

Pass Yds Allowed/Game- 22nd

Plays of 40+ Allowed- 15th

Receiving TD's Allowed- 30th

Not to mention the Bills currently rank 24th in sacks league-wide.

Right now one of the biggest issues the Bills are having is stopping their opponent on 3rd down, pressure on the QB, and big plays. For a former DB coach, one would think that Thurman-led defenses would perform way better in the above categories than they have. But mistackles and our DB's getting eaten up have been glaring issues that need immediate resolution.

What really becomes concerning in the lip service that not only Thurman gave, but also Ryan about coming in and playing a defense that plays to the strength of the personnel. Both Thurman and Ryan preached about not being a 3-4 or 4-3 but whatever works to provide maximum pressure up front for our talented front seven.

Well it's looking like that was a bunch of BS. It seems Thurman is trying to fit a round peg in a square hole with the studs we have up front, and the results have been horrendous. Hence the reason why opponent QB's are dining in while sitting in the pocket untouched all afternoon and our DB's are getting lit up like Xmas trees.

Thurman has been a huge disappointment thus far. Even Ryan went so far after the Cinci game to say he has to see what Thurman is asking the players to do because whatever it is ain't working.

Thurman's track record is nothing to write home about since he became a DC. My take on Thurman is he's Ryan's puppet, his clay to mold, and will do whatever he says, which is fine. But at some point Thurman has to show that he can effectively run our defense, which at the moment he is failing miserably at.

Ryan came in being labeled a players coach. But right now some highly paid veterans who are being made to look bad by the scheme theyve been asked to run aren't too happy with the coaching staff. Ryan needs to turn that around stat, before he loses the confidence of the defense....and eventually the whole team.

Ryan's defenses never had these issues when he was DC. And you can't say that the Bills talent doesn't match up to some of Ryan's best teams in Baltimore. The only difference between then and now is Thurman.

The NFL has evolved into more of a passing league, and it seems that both Thurman and Ryan have fallen behind on the times. Its Thurman's job to get this fixed. If he doesn't, Ryan will no longer be looked at as a defensive genius, but rather a defensive has-been.

You say it's Rex's defense, how do you know this? Are you at OBD? Rex's comments at his last pressed make it appear like you are saying is not necessarily the case.

Did you have to be in the building in New Orleans to understand Marrone wasn't really their OC?

Dennis Thurman is a guy Rex put in the canoe with him went they got tossed off the Jets so he could pretend he wasn't running the D if things went south in Buffalo.

I find it unlikely that Rex would turn over the keys to his car, let it crash, and keep letting it crash over multiple seasons when his entire reputation is based on defense. I do not know for sure, nor do I even know what the definition of ownership is for a defense. It's likely Thurman could call plays, Rex has veto power. Rex is likely heavily involved in game plan and conceptual design. If Thurman calls plays is the defense now his? Does BB not run the Patriots defense?

Preaching to the choir on this as I agree with the OP. :thumbsup:

I gotta wonder why its taken 6 games for Rex to wake the eff up. I mean i was astonished the defense was so bad after week 2, and getting beat down by the Patriots. 466 yards passing, and nobody on the coaching staff took notice, really?

Man, I can only hope that the GM, owner don't buy into the crap that the defense needs a bunch of new players to make it work. This ship is foundering, and if this captain can't fix it then find someone who can.

I gotta wonder if Jerry Hughes knew beforehand that he would be used to drop into pass coverage so much this year, and the team would be so toothless in the sack dept because of the D linemen dropping into pass coverage.

Would have he resigned with Buffalo or happily said goodbye? All the D linemen are not happy with this new scheme. Dareus has been complaining since TC, and then Hughes. Now Mario has stated they are all unhappy with this new defensive scheme.

Loyalty is a wonderful thing - until it isn't. It seems highly unlikely Rex replaces Thurman even though it is becoming more-and-more clear to observers that Thurman is a problem and doesn't appear qualified to be DC.

I'm also not impressed with these quotes from Rex:

Regarding mounting injuries ...

"I think it's affecting everybody's morale, mine included" - so, Rex is going to use the injuries as an excuse instead of the senselss penalties and poor play calling on both sides of the ball - nice.

Regarding losing a game TWO WEEKS prior ...

"I’m not all the way over the Brady butt-kicking he did against us." - said the week leading up to NYG game - another loss.

Both of these quotes demonstrate low emotional IQ - which at least in part explains why he has not been able to reign-in the selfish and stupid penalties - the players' behavior pretty much reflects what Ryan is putting out.

Loyalty is a wonderful thing - until it isn't. It seems highly unlikely Rex replaces Thurman even though it is becoming more-and-more clear to observers that Thurman is a problem and doesn't appear qualified to be DC.

I'm afraid you're missing the (or at least MY) point: Thurman is just doing what Rex is asking for. Thurman may even be MORE talented than Rex, we don't know - he's a puppet. Rex is the guy behind all this nonsense. But he sure talks a good game...