EJ versus Tyrod

So it seems like EJ didn't impress enough for anyone to talk about him being the starter when Taylor returns from injury.

I would argue that 1. there was zero drop off in overall production from the QB position with EJ in.

2. EJ actually had the best total passing yards in a Bills game this season.

3. EJ gets sacked once every 21 attempts and Tyrod has been sacked once per every 9.8 attempts

4. Tyrod loses on average 7.14 yards per sack and EJ has averaged 3.5 yards lost per sack

5. EJ had at least 6 completions to WRs in this game. Tyrod has struggled to hit WRs. Last game our top two wideo outs had 1 catch

6. EJ also made plays with his feet albeit less exciting ones but he got a TD and a bug first down when needed.

7. While the Bills went 3 and out an embarrassing 50% of the time under EJ, they did the same thing against the Titans under Tyrod and Taylor did even worse against the Giants where the Bills were 57% 3 and out.

Both are throwing close to 70% completion, Tyrod a little over EJ a little under.

Neither is tearing it up the way they should with all these weapons.

Personally I think EJ has more potential because he actually can play from the pocket. If he has more practice time as the number one he could elevate his game. I feel like Taylor is already playing at the top of his game and the result is not much better than EJ in mid learning curve.

I say start EJ against Jacksonville. If he doesn't play better than this week then Taylor can come back after the bye but if EJ plays well I think you use the BYE to establish EJ as the QB because these scrambling QBs don't last more than a few games without injury. My prediction is that EJ would have to start week 5 when Tyrod got hurt and I was only a week off. Michael Vick has only had one season out of 13 where he was able to avoid injury. That is a telling stat.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems like EJ didn't impress enough for anyone to talk about him being the starter when Taylor returns from injury.

I would argue that 1. there was zero drop off in overall production from the QB position with EJ in.

3. EJ gets sacked once every 21 attempts and Tyrod has been sacked once per every 9.8 attempts

4. Tyrod loses on average 7.14 yards per sack and EJ has averaged 3.5 yards lost per sack

5. EJ had at least 6 completions to WRs in this game. Tyrod has struggled to hit WRs. Last game our top two wideo outs had 1 catch

6. EJ also made plays with his feet albeit less exciting ones but he got a TD and a bug first down when needed.

7. While the Bills went 3 and out an embarrassing 50% of the time under EJ, they did the same thing against the Titans under Tyrod and Taylor did even worse against the Giants where the Bills were 57% 3 and out.

Both are throwing close to 70% completion, Tyrod a little over EJ a little under.

Personally I think EJ has more potential because he actually can play from the pocket. If he has more practice time as the number one he could elevate his game. I feel like Taylor is already playing at the top of his game and the result is not much better than EJ in mid learning curve.

I say start EJ against Jacksonville. If he doesn't play better than this week then Taylor can come back after the bye but if EJ plays well I think you use the BYE to establish EJ as the QB because these scrambling QBs don't last more than a few games without injury. My prediction is that EJ would have to start week 5 when Tyrod got hurt and I was only a week off. Michael Vick has only had one season out of 13 where he was able to avoid injury. That is a telling stat.

You make some good points. I think it is harder for teams to game plan for taylor though.

I don't think there was a huge drop off from Taylor's performance in most games. EJ leaves more plays out there by not throwing to open guys if there is a shorter route open. He also can't make the ridiculous plays with his legs that can make a difference if other things aren't working. I'd still start Taylor if he's healthy, but I still don't know if he's franchise quality. I'm pretty sure EJM isn't , but he's a decent backup.

Picking and choosing numbers hard here.

I don't think there was a huge drop off from Taylor's performance in most games. EJ leaves more plays out there by not throwing to open guys if there is a shorter route open. He also can't make the ridiculous plays with his legs that can make a difference if other things aren't working. I'd still start Taylor if he's healthy, but I still don't know if he's franchise quality. I'm pretty sure EJM isn't , but he's a decent backup.

Are we going to pretend that Tyrod Taylor didn't have 10 and 14 point games? Tyrod barely threw for 100 yards against the Titans, but EJ leaves more plays out there... ok. It's fair to say that the offense in general has looked poor, and neither QB has really done anything (except maybe Tyrod in the Miami game) to make you think they're the future.

I'm inclined to think that neither quarterback is likely to hit their proposed ceiling. It really doesn't matter which one we go with moving forward, as long as we keep with that guy and give them time.

I have been an EJM supporter, but Tyrod is probably better. We havent seen Tyrod with McCoy and Watkins in a while. His game will go up a notch with McCoy out there.

When is Karlos gonna come back? Karlos and McCoy together makes a difference.:

Edited by HoF Watkins

Are we going to pretend that Tyrod Taylor didn't have 10 and 14 point games? Tyrod barely threw for 100 yards against the Titans, but EJ leaves more plays out there... ok. It's fair to say that the offense in general has looked poor, and neither QB has really done anything (except maybe Tyrod in the Miami game) to make you think they're the future.

I'm inclined to think that neither quarterback is likely to hit their proposed ceiling. It really doesn't matter which one we go with moving forward, as long as we keep with that guy and give them time.

Less open guys.

The OP forgot to mention that EJ actually caused Sammy Watkins to injure his ankle yesterday with that horrible, horrible TD throw. How convenient that he left that little morsel out. EJ injures his own teammates.

Absolutely. EJ has been on a rampage this season with the torrent of injuries he's caused - and the throw to Watkin that broke his ankle is uncalled for and certainly not the sign of a team player.

The OP forgot to mention that EJ actually caused Sammy Watkins to injure his ankle yesterday with that horrible, horrible TD throw. How convenient that he left that little morsel out. EJ injures his own teammates.

C'mon.

There have been plenty of injuries with Tyrod out there...this team has some glass on the roster.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Absolutely. EJ has been on a rampage this season with the torrent of injuries he's caused - and the throw to Watkin that broke his ankle is uncalled for and certainly not the sign of a team player.

Somewhat surprised Hogan still has legs left and remains un-concussed following that attempt downfield yesterday. EJ is gonna kill what little WR talent we have left.