[Please Change Title]Doug Whaley

How does Whaley address the QB position when there are none available unless you are a top 3 pick in the draft.

Please tell me who they could have drafted? Tell me who they could have picked up?

Good day.

I'm not ready to trash Whaley anymore than I'm ready to sing his praises, and I'm still optimistic about TT, but I think these are cop out arguments. The truth is we really don't know what deals could have been made. And just to throw out a name, Josh McCown is looking pretty good right now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Whaley fan. The reasons why are stated well in this thread. I also realize it's not time to quit on the season after 3-3. But the way we got the **** beat out of us in those three losses tells me this team is a fraud.

You can blame it on coaching, and it's clear Rex has made some mistakes. But I always have felt like Whaley is just making it up as he goes along. The Fred and Cassel moves are great examples. I know... Cassel sucks and Fred is old an injury prone, but there was no reason to fritter away our depth in those areas.

EJ is just so terrible and he's going to get all our receivers killed soon if we don't get him back to the bench. Yet Whaley is doing everything he can to prove the world wrong about him...why? I know Cassel can only throw it about 4 yards but at least it's on time and accurate.

This sums up Whaley in a sentence. I don't understand the plan and it changes every year seemingly, although admittedly a new HC hires mean the plan may change. Yet, this shouldn't result in sweeping changes like what we've seen since RW passed in March 2014. Since that day it's been a scramble at OBD, which was somewhat predictable given the uncertain ownership picture.

How does Whaley address the QB position when there are none available unless you are a top 3 pick in the draft.

Please tell me who they could have drafted? Tell me who they could have picked up?

Good day.

There are 31 QB's starting in the NFL who were drafted, Tony Romo being the exception. The average draft postion is 42 for those. 13 of those 31 were taken in picks 1-5. From picks 6-10 there is 1 (Tannehill), 11-20 there are 3 (Roethlisberger, Flacco, Cutler), 21-32 there are 3 (Brees, Rodgers, Bridgewater). Three (Dalton, Kaepernick, Derek Carr) from 33-64. 5 (Cousins, Mallett, Foles, Wilson, Jo. McCown) from 65-102. And there are 3 (Brady, Tyrod, and Fitz) taken beyond pick 102.

The idea QBs are only taken at the tip top of the first round is a myth perpetrated by those who say it's too hard. It's not, and while not all of those QB's starting today are stellar, there is enough of a sample size to say it's not impossible to get a good one in the early middle to second round.

I agree. Whalley has done a great job. The talent there. The coaching is not. Doug can buy top notch ingredients, but faux chef Rex can burn everything

That talent you refer too is looking more over-rated each passing week. True, this is the most talent the Bills have had in over a decade but it looks like it's not enough.

Good day.

whaley has screwed up the qb position

whaley was in on the EJ pick, that's not working out so well.

cassel is better than EJ, could have kept him instead of saving $1.5 mil

during his tenure, starting qb's Carson Palmer, Sam Bradford, mallet, hoyer and foles all changed teams.

passed on Andy Dalton (for aaron Williams) , russel Wilson (for tj graham)

preferred kolb, orton, tuel, thad lewis

might have found a winner in tyrod taylor (thanks to rex)

IT'S PLAYOFFS OR BUST FOR WHALEY......he gets fired if they miss the playoffs.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.

The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

signing mentally challenged dummies like hughes, aaron willians, bradham, brooks doesn't bode well for our future. these players will help get you beat.

ozzie has 2 rings

whaley has done squat

Hughes, Bradham and AWilliams had a great 2015 season. If they are suddenly not smart enough, it is more a commentary on Rex's stubbornness than who Whaley built the roster with.

The issues with Whaley involve:

1) The Current QB situation... Never adequately addressed in 2014, and did the same thing in 2015.

2) The RB Situation... Bungled situation at RB including the release of Jackson.

3) Has jeopardized the future of the Bills with paying a fortune for a front-four defensive line that can be easily game-planned against.

Have the coaches helped his case? Certainly not...

Do you need more reasons?

I wrote this on another page about Whaley but I thought it fits here as well. I disagree with just about everything you wrote except for the coaching staff. The defensive line is proven and they deserve the money they got. Are they being coach right, that is something even the players are expressing there feelings about. The front line though is full of Pro Bowlers, sorry R2ITRich.

First of all I would like to thank Doug Whaley for the job he has done. No GM hits on all his selections but he has hit on most and has brought in some top level talent in Free agency. After many many years of watching a team with no talent on its roster he has brought hope to this organization and for that he should be applauded.

3 Players the fans love to complain about when it comes to Whaley.

EJ Manuel - I am reading several of you complaining that DW does not know how to evaluate quarterbacks. He took a shot on EJ and there wasn't a better quarterback in that draft to take a risk on. There has been no one in free agency and if there was he would have done every sales pitch to get him. Why people are angry for taking a risk on EJ is beyond me. At some point after years without a QB he had to roll the dice. Just because it hasn't worked doesn't mean it was not worth the gamble. The bottom line is we had to draft one that year and they all blow in my opinion. EJ just had the arm and stature to try and make something work even though it hasn't.

Sammy Watkins - Sammy Watkins unfortunately cannot stay healthy and yes it gets aggravating but I think we should watch more of his career before we jump on Whaley. Watkins was the #1 WR in the draft by everyone, including the fans, experts, and scouts. I think he has shown flashes when healthy that he is the real deal and to give up draft picks (unproven college players) for a guy most feel has star potential is not a bad move. I know there have been several proven WR's that came out of the draft but no one has a crystal ball if so 32 teams would have taken Russell Wilson instead of passing up on him 3 times.

Fred Jackson - The easiest move of them all. He was old, injury prone and making over 2 million dollars. I love Fred Jackson but he is not better than Mccoy and he wasn't worth stealing carries from Karlos Williams. Again if DW had a crystal ball he would have known Mccoy and Williams would be hurt and would have kept Jackson. Boobie was kept over Fred because 3rd string running backs needs to help on special teams and not just sit the bench. DW of course would of rather had Fred run the ball over Boobie but how many 3rd string guys are kept because the front office thinks they will have to run the ball. 2.5 million to sit the bench and not play special teams, "seriously folks". By the way, has Fred been playing a whole lot in Seattle?

Doug Whaley has improved our secondary, our offensive line, our tight ends, our wide receivers, our running backs and our depth. I also feel he has upgraded our QB with Tyrod Taylor, another terrific find and a QB many teams wished they had. If there is a major knock on Whaley at this point it's that he hasn't hit on a coach yet unless Rex can turn things around.