Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations About Today's Game

10) The playoffs sure seem pretty far off after today's loss. The Bengals outplayed the Bills in every facet of the game today and made them look like pretenders rather than contenders.

The next two games, both in conference, now become must wins. That's no small task with the amount of injuries Buffalo is dealing with.

9) Maybe the Bills need wrist bands that say, "Don't be dumb and don't be dirty." That old Marv Levy axiom is one that needs to be learned by the current squad.

How many big plays get called back against this team due to a holding penalty? How many kick-off and punt returns fall to the same fate?

Hey, here's a riddle for you: What cheers wildly, sees yellow and falls deathly silent?

Answer: A home crowd at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

8) EJ Manuel didn't lose the game for the Bills, but he did once again prove that he isn't a quality starting-caliber NFL QB. He padded his stats during 4th quarter garbage time when Cincy went into a prevent defense.

When the game was still in contention, EJ displayed the improper footwork and erratic ball placement that has taken him from starting QB to perpetual bench warmer.

I don't know if Matt Cassel would have fared any better, but it sure would have been nice to have been able to find out.

7) (For Bill from NYC. Get well soon my Bills Brother)

Standing on the moon

I got no cobweb on my shoe

Standing on the moon

I'm feeling so alone and blue

I see the gulf of Mexico

As tiny as a tear

The coast of California

Must be somewhere over here, over here

Standing on the moon

I see the battle rage below

Standing on the moon

I see the soldiers come and go

There's a metal flag beside me

Someone planted long ago

Old glory standing stiffly

Crimson, white and indigo, indigo

6) What in the hell happened to the vaunted front four?

Under Mike Pettine they flourished. Under Jim Schwartz they played more disciplined against the run, but still got after the QB. Under Rex Ryan they all got paid then made like a David Copperfield rabbit and disappeared.

Their failure to get any real pressure on Dalton was the main reason the Bengals left the Ralph with their perfect record intact. On one play Ronald Darby stuck with his man for ten solid seconds before Dalton, who sat in the pocket with the comfort of a mother duck sitting on her eggs, completed a pass for the 1st down. Darby deserved better.

Rex and Thurman need to get their big men going and quick.

5) One guy that came to play today was Shady McCoy. he finished with 17 carries for 90 yards and a TD, but more importantly, he looked like the nifty, shifty runner that Buffalo dealt Kiko Alonso for back in the spring.

If the Bills ever get a healthy Tyrod and Shady on the field together it's going to be light's out for any defense trying to bring them down.

4) A little shout-out to Garrison Sanborn. The Bills long snapper does what he always does in a game - renders himself invisible by making perfect snap after perfect snap on all kicking attempts.

Today he also hustled downfield and made a beautiful open-field shoestring tackle on a Cincy punt returner. Here's to you, Mr. Sanborn, for a job well done.

3) Charles Clay and Chris Gragg both made a lot of nice grabs from the TE position today. With the Bills down to three healthy WRs the TEs needed to step up and they did.

Again, if they can both produce when the rest of the offense is healthy it will go a long way to propelling the Bills into the playoffs.

2) When he is healthy, there is no doubt that Sammy Watkins was worth the two 1st rounders Doug Whaley spent on him in the draft. The fact that he appears to be made out of glass continues to make that trade suspect.

The TD catch he made on a poorly thrown ball by EJ and his subsequent injury sort of sums up the season so far for Buffalo. Pure joy followed by immediate dejection. I think we should all chip in and get Sammy an ancient Egyptian amulet to protect him from injury.

1) Well, it's across the pond to England we go as next week we have "Breakfast with the Bills" in a tilt against the Jags.

So get your English Muffins ready along with your strawberries and cream. Boy do we ever need a "W" in Wembley.

"I don't know if Matt Cassel would have fared any better, but it sure would have been nice to have been able to find out."

No, it would not have.

Don't think Sammy had any injury history, but his issues along with the rest of the team's have been unexpected and historically bad. Like, almost every one of our players is getting hurt. What happened to the training and conditioning staff from last year? Some injuries happen, but this is more than I can recall in many years. Baltimore is having similar issues, I guess. But man, this is frustrating.

11. Special teams is the worst it's been in years. As much as I hate taking an extra roster spot with Gay, it was nice to know just about every kickoff would start at the 20. We have no return threat. They need to move on from Goodwin, guy just can't stay healthy.

This is so disappointing, watching the Bills crumble when it counts.

#1 The defensive scheme is clearly not working. There were wide open spots all over the field, especially on third downs. We put ZERO pressure on the quarterback. Forget all the crap about the ball coming out quick, Dalton had all day to throw. He'd move comfortably in the pocket and pick his spots, where often the middle of the field was wide open. I put the coverage problems on our linebackers and the D-LINE gets the blame for no pressure. The poor tackling is also inexcusable. How many second chance yards have we given up after getting an initial hit on a player?

#2 Too many 3 and OUTS. There is no creative play-calling on offense and EJ looked lost when dropping back. His #1 problem is that he still hasn't learned to read the entire field and his footwork is horrible. He threw off balance so many times it was sick.

#3 Drops - As much money as we are throwing at Clay, he sure seems to drop a lot of passes. He catches about 70% of his targets.

#4 Penalties. How does Robert Woods get called twice for holding on the opposite side of the play. It is inexcusable. The Bills need to get the bullets out of their feet because they are gunslingers with the gun in the holster.

#5 Bad Coaching. The Bills have no consistency. The are over-hyped or sleep walking. There is no discipline machine-like efficiency that all the good teams display. For all the talent we have, this team is pathetic to watch.

I could go on and on, but I need to get some Alka Seltzer and watch real football.

Edited by BillsRdue

pretty sure the Bills will be stuck in neutral for three years. Then Ryan will mercifully be fired. This guy is nothing but hot air. pegula want's championships. The Rex hype machine cannot produce them. maybe a wildcard appearance in time. Big deal.

His off season remark along the lines of " Our defense will be number 1" is proof. he bragged about having the most talented D players

Ever. he is clueless on how to use their potential. It's not working. Get Schwartz off the couch. Fire Crossman tomorrow. Do something.

rest Tyrod another week. if they cannot blow out the jags then the team has already quit on Rex. or at least the D will have. Sure seems like 94 already has.

8) Things changed so much on offense for Buffalo once Watkins went out of the game. The team was already missing Percy Harvin, Marquise Goodwin, and that left Clay, Woods, and Hogan as the only choices left. Teams were easily able shut down Taylor with no Watkins in there. EJ wasn't that good, but then the penalties, play calling, and field position weren't good either.

9) Rex Ryan deserves all the credit for this turd the team played. Far to many penalties again. His "we are going to build a bully" statement was as stupid as he is, and as stupid as his team that leads the league in penalties!

10)

11. Special teams is the worst it's been in years. As much as I hate taking an extra roster spot with Gay, it was nice to know just about every kickoff would start at the 20. We have no return threat. They need to move on from Goodwin, guy just can't stay healthy.

Yes, Goodwin and Watkins are neck and neck for the "All Injured" team. Bills are going to have to sign a WR this week.

10) The playoffs sure seem pretty far off after today's loss. The Bengals outplayed the Bills in every facet of the game today and made them look like pretenders rather than contenders.

The next two games, both in conference, now become must wins. That's no small task with the amount of injuries Buffalo is dealing with.

9) Maybe the Bills need wrist bands that say, "Don't be dumb and don't be dirty." That old Marv Levy axiom is one that needs to be learned by the current squad.

How many big plays get called back against this team due to a holding penalty? How many kick-off and punt returns fall to the same fate?

Hey, here's a riddle for you: What cheers wildly, sees yellow and falls deathly silent?

Answer: A home crowd at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

8) EJ Manuel didn't lose the game for the Bills, but he did once again prove that he isn't a quality starting-caliber NFL QB. He padded his stats during 4th quarter garbage time when Cincy went into a prevent defense.

When the game was still in contention, EJ displayed the improper footwork and erratic ball placement that has taken him from starting QB to perpetual bench warmer.

I don't know if Matt Cassel would have fared any better, but it sure would have been nice to have been able to find out.

7) (For Bill from NYC. Get well soon my Bills Brother)

Standing on the moon

I got no cobweb on my shoe

Standing on the moon

I'm feeling so alone and blue

I see the gulf of Mexico

As tiny as a tear

The coast of California

Must be somewhere over here, over here

Standing on the moon

I see the battle rage below

Standing on the moon

I see the soldiers come and go

There's a metal flag beside me

Someone planted long ago

Old glory standing stiffly

Crimson, white and indigo, indigo

6) What in the hell happened to the vaunted front four?

Under Mike Pettine they flourished. Under Jim Schwartz they played more disciplined against the run, but still got after the QB. Under Rex Ryan they all got paid then made like a David Copperfield rabbit and disappeared.

Their failure to get any real pressure on Dalton was the main reason the Bengals left the Ralph with their perfect record intact. On one play Ronald Darby stuck with his man for ten solid seconds before Dalton, who sat in the pocket with the comfort of a mother duck sitting on her eggs, completed a pass for the 1st down. Darby deserved better.

Rex and Thurman need to get their big men going and quick.

5) One guy that came to play today was Shady McCoy. he finished with 17 carries for 90 yards and a TD, but more importantly, he looked like the nifty, shifty runner that Buffalo dealt Kiko Alonso for back in the spring.

If the Bills ever get a healthy Tyrod and Shady on the field together it's going to be light's out for any defense trying to bring them down.

4) A little shout-out to Garrison Sanborn. The Bills long snapper does what he always does in a game - renders himself invisible by making perfect snap after perfect snap on all kicking attempts.

Today he also hustled downfield and made a beautiful open-field shoestring tackle on a Cincy punt returner. Here's to you, Mr. Sanborn, for a job well done.

3) Charles Clay and Chris Gragg both made a lot of nice grabs from the TE position today. With the Bills down to three healthy WRs the TEs needed to step up and they did.

Again, if they can both produce when the rest of the offense is healthy it will go a long way to propelling the Bills into the playoffs.

2) When he is healthy, there is no doubt that Sammy Watkins was worth the two 1st rounders Doug Whaley spent on him in the draft. The fact that he appears to be made out of glass continues to make that trade suspect.

Did you like the throw that hit him in the face mask. Im tired of this kid and hes above average but not elite.

The TD catch he made on a poorly thrown ball by EJ and his subsequent injury sort of sums up the season so far for Buffalo. Pure joy followed by immediate dejection. I think we should all chip in and get Sammy an ancient Egyptian amulet to protect him from injury.

1) Well, it's across the pond to England we go as next week we have "Breakfast with the Bills" in a tilt against the Jags.

So get your English Muffins ready along with your strawberries and cream. Boy do we ever need a "W" in Wembley.

8) Things changed so much on offense for Buffalo once Watkins went out of the game. The team was already missing Percy Harvin, Marquise Goodwin, and that left Clay, Woods, and Hogan as the only choices left. Teams were easily able shut down Taylor with no Watkins in there. EJ wasn't that good, but then the penalties, play calling, and field position weren't good either.

9) Rex Ryan deserves all the credit for this turd the team played. Far to many penalties again. His "we are going to build a bully" statement was as stupid as he is, and as stupid as his team that leads the league in penalties!

10)

hahaha That ^

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?

I agree w/ #2 Too many 3 and OUTS.

Dropped passes were an issue as well.