QB Paxton Lynch ?

"University of Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch moved up to number 17 on ESPN Draft Expert Mel Kiper’s Big Board.

Kiper says of Lynch, “My biggest riser. Lynch has good size with room to fill out, and not just a strong arm, but the ability to get the ball out quickly.”

http://memphis.247sports.com/Bolt/Paxton-Lynch-Rises-Up-Kipers-Big-Board-40058466

Anybody seen this kid?

Seems like quite a jump up Mel's board but I have never seen him play.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"University of Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch moved up to number 17 on ESPN Draft Expert Mel Kiper’s Big Board.

Kiper says of Lynch, “My biggest riser. Lynch has good size with room to fill out, and not just a strong arm, but the ability to get the ball out quickly.”

http://memphis.247sports.com/Bolt/Paxton-Lynch-Rises-Up-Kipers-Big-Board-40058466

Anybody seen this kid?

Seems like quite a jump up Mel's board but I have never seen him play.

I love all the talk about risers and fallers.

Usually, these terms just means the talking head originally over- or under-rated the prospect and now that they've learned more information (that they should have had in the first place), they've reassessed.

I have not seen much on him but from the little I have seen....

Positives: Decent mobility for a big guy. Seems to have a strong arm.

Negatives: Production against marginal teams. Footwork needs to be cleaned up big time. Has an elongated/wind up throwing motion.

He's a project that is likely going to need 2 years of development. I was a big fan of Jared Goff before the season started but it looks like he's going to be a top pick next year. Overall, this QB class isn't look as hot as I thought it would. Hackenberg is all hype and I'm not a fan of Cardale Jones at all. The kid from USC, Kessler, seems to have some talent.

Edited by Bangarang

6'7" and 245lbs? That's a big boy. Is he a Lerch like Mallett or does he actually look fairly fluid moving around?

He was a RB in high school until he hit his growth spurt. He's actually a pretty good runner for a 6'7" dude.

Negatives: Production against marginal teams. Footwork needs to be cleaned up big time. Has an elongated/wind up throwing motion.

He's a project that is likely going to need 2 years of development. I was a big fan of Jared Goff before the season started but it looks like he's going to be a top pick next year. Overall, this QB class isn't look as hot as I thought it would. Hackenberg is all hype and I'm not a fan of Cardale Jones at all. The kid from USC, Kessler, seems to have some talent.

Agreed about the footwork. Accuracy issues as well. Not sure if he can diagnose defenses. From what I've seen, I'm not sure how someone puts him at 17th best player overall. That seems crazy.

You didn't mention Connor Cook?

He is a really interesting prospect. Has a big game coming up. If he keeps playing well, could rise like Bortles did a couple of years ago.

I'm taping him this weekend to get a look.

Anyone know if he plays in a pro-style or spread? I did some digging and found they were up-tempo but didn't say their style.

Draft him please I have a lynch jersey we need a lynch on our team.

:lol:

I'd take Cook over Goff anyday

He was a RB in high school until he hit his growth spurt. He's actually a pretty good runner for a 6'7" dude.

Osweiler is pretty mobile too

Agreed about the footwork. Accuracy issues as well. Not sure if he can diagnose defenses. From what I've seen, I'm not sure how someone puts him at 17th best player overall. That seems crazy.

You didn't mention Connor Cook?

Guys like Cook and Goff I expect to be long gone by the time we pick. I'm more so looking at guys that could be available at this point and I'm not overly impressed by what I'm seeing. I'm hoping either Tyrod or EJ can be our long term answers but we should still be evaluating all the college guys and should not hesitate to take a guy that has some talent we can develop.

I'd take Cook over Goff anyday

As a pro prospect, I like Goff's skillset better. Cook is good but he can too reckless and forces balls.

The next several weeks will be very interesting for Goff against all of the best Pac 12 defenses. If he performs, then he has to be the top QB coming out and could be compared to Matt Ryan like some have said.

Cook seems like another Chad Henne kind of guy. Solid, not spectacular and wins but probably will need a solid run game and Defense to be successful at the NFL level.

This Lynch is a guy to keep an eye on.

Osweiler is pretty mobile too

The Running Giraffe.....

I'm an ASU alum, so I watched plenty of him.

Guys like Cook and Goff I expect to be long gone by the time we pick. I'm more so looking at guys that could be available at this point and I'm not overly impressed by what I'm seeing. I'm hoping either Tyrod or EJ can be our long term answers but we should still be evaluating all the college guys and should not hesitate to take a guy that has some talent we can develop.

I agree. I'm still paying a lot of attention to the QBs. I had high hopes for Taysom Hill this year.

I love all the talk about risers and fallers.

Usually, these terms just means the talking head originally over- or under-rated the prospect and now that they've learned more information (that they should have had in the first place), they've reassessed.

:huh:

That's an argument better saved for the off-season. Players rising and falling during the season, while they are actually performing and giving everyone a chance to evaluate them, is exactly what's supposed to happen.

His arm strength is impressive, but I can't tell how he would handle things at the next level.

EDIT: His 3rd down numbers are impressive and he basically just ended the game with this last drive.

Hard to tell when he just goes to the first read a lot. One play, he threw a WR screen when it was clear that Ole Miss was expecting it, had their DBs rolled to that side, and you could tell it had little chance to succeed.

Is he allowed to do more? Is he able to do more?

Great win for him today, though.