Week 6: Bengals' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just let EJ play.....christ

WE NEED TT HEALTHY

yes please, and why the heck not see what EJ brings at this point. The change up is advantage Buffalo. Dress Taylor if it gets ugly ( which it wont)

McCoy is nearly the same situation. He better be cool about that ham if he gets dressed.

Watkins playing could really change the game IMO. Just by runnin' routes.

be nice to throw some bones his way Sunday too.

@viccarucci

My #Bills Take Five: Don't force QB call. http://bit.ly/1LeOFDD

You know, it just never ceases to amaze me that these guys continue to peddle their group-think on the QB situation.

A quote from Carucci's article:

"Logic would strongly suggest that the best move would be to give Taylor at least one game, if not two, to heal and go with Manuel. Neither Ryan nor offensive coordinator Greg Roman wants to do that. Ryan made it clear Friday he was squeezing with all of his might to even the slimmest hope that Taylor could recover in time to get a thumbs-up when the proverbial “game-time decision” is made Sunday."

Ummmm, I watched Ryan's press conference twice, during which Carucci asked him lot's of questions about the QB siutation and I'm sorry, but not ONCE did I see even the slightest indication that Ryan was gripping with all his might over Tyrod playing or not playing. Maybe Ryan went to pieces after the camera's were shut off, and I didn't get to see it. Maybe Vic is half Betazoid and he can read Ryan's mind whereas we mere earthlings cannot.

But really? Ryan was his usual casual silly loose guy with the press. In response to Vic's questions, he was unwavering in his praise of EJ and that he looked great, threw the ball really well, is comfortable in the system, and said he had all the confidence that EJ would do great things if he plays.

The ONLY thing one could use as an indication of a lack of confidence would be that he hasn't just come out and said that EJ will start. But so what? First of all, he is clearly trying not to give the Bungles any indication regarding for whom they should prepare. Also, he owes Tyrod at least a chance to try to recover sufficiently to play. But really. He's squeezing with all his might to even the slimmest of hope. Holy freakin' crap!

Then he comes up with this narrative:

"It’s no secret the Bills’ coaches preferred Matt Cassel in the No. 2 spot, which he held before General Manager Doug Whaley, who wanted Manuel in that role, shipped Cassel to Dallas."

Once again, this is NOT some publicly ackowledged position. This is HIS opinion. Yes they had Cassel at 2, and put him back there after he was re-signed. So what? That doesn't mean he was the CLEAR choice for any reason other than he is a veteran with lot's of games under his belt.

He is putting out as fact that Whaley shipped out Cassel to promote EJ, implying that it was against the coaches' will. It is certainly possible, but definitely not confirmed as fact.

And then off course you have Ole Sully chiming in as if HE knows something more than the rest of us:

"@shoutfanatic asks: Why are BUF sportswriters so infatuated with a QB who completed 58 percent of his passes over 71 starts while barely throwing past the line of scrimmage?

Sully: Sorry that the media’s stance on the Bills quarterback situation is too nuanced for you. No one is “infatuated” with Matt Cassel. We merely point out the fact that he was Rex Ryan’s clear choice as backup quarterback until Doug Whaley shipped him out of town to pave EJ Manuel’s way to the No. 2 job."

Guess no source is really necessary for that assertion of fact, especially when you can be sarcastic and condescending about it before delivering your opinion as fact.

And then at least this is delivered as opinion: "His teammates believe in him, too, which can’t be taken lightly. I don’t think they have much faith in Manuel."

A position that is apparently belied by EJ's teammates' consistent and fairly strongly worded support throughout, including Sammy's recent offerings regarding this subject.

All I can say is, if EJ starts, I hope he shoves this crap right up the local media's proverbial poop chute.

Edited by BuffaloBob

You know, it just never ceases to amaze me that these guys continue to peddle their group-think on the QB situation.

A quote from Carucci's article:

"Logic would strongly suggest that the best move would be to give Taylor at least one game, if not two, to heal and go with Manuel. Neither Ryan nor offensive coordinator Greg Roman wants to do that. Ryan made it clear Friday he was squeezing with all of his might to even the slimmest hope that Taylor could recover in time to get a thumbs-up when the proverbial “game-time decision” is made Sunday."

Ummmm, I watched Ryan's press conference twice, during which Carucci asked him lot's of questions about the QB siutation and I'm sorry, but not ONCE did I see even the slightest indication that Ryan was gripping with all his might over Tyrod playing or not playing. Maybe Ryan went to pieces after the camera's were shut off, and I didn't get to see it. Maybe Vic is half Betazoid and he can read Ryan's mind when us mere mortals cannot.

But really? Ryan was his usual casual silly loose guy with the press. In response to Vic's questions, he was unwavering in his praise of EJ and that he looked great, through the ball really well, is comfortable in the system, and said he had all the confidence that EJ would do great things if he plays.

The ONLY thing one could use as an indication of a lack of confidence would be that he hasn't just come out and said that EJ will start. But so what? First of all, he is clearly trying not to give the Bungles any indication regarding for whom they should prepare. Also, he owes Tyrod to not at least give a chance to try to recover sufficiently to play. But really. He's squeezing with all his might to even the slimmest of hope. Holy freakin' crap!

The he comes up with this narrative:

"It’s no secret the Bills’ coaches preferred Matt Cassel in the No. 2 spot, which he held before General Manager Doug Whaley, who wanted Manuel in that role, shipped Cassel to Dallas."

Once again, this is NOT some publicly ackowledged position. This is HIS opinion. Yes, they had him at 2, and then put him back there after he was re-signed. But he is once again putting out as fact that Whaley shipped out Cassel to promote EJ against the coaches will. It is certainly possible, but certainly not ackowledged as fact.

And then off course you have Ole Sully chiming in as if HE knows something more than the rest of us:

"@shoutfanatic asks: Why are BUF sportswriters so infatuated with a QB who completed 58 percent of his passes over 71 starts while barely throwing past the line of scrimmage?

Sully: Sorry that the media’s stance on the Bills quarterback situation is too nuanced for you. No one is “infatuated” with Matt Cassel. We merely point out the fact that he was Rex Ryan’s clear choice as backup quarterback until Doug Whaley shipped him out of town to pave EJ Manuel’s way to the No. 2 job."

Guess no source is necessary for that assertion of fact, especially when you can be sarcastic and condescending about it before delivering your opinion as fact.

And then at least this is delivered as opinion: "His teammates believe in him, too, which can’t be taken lightly. I don’t think they have much faith in Manuel." A position that is apparently belied by his teammates' consistent and fairly strongly worded support throughout, including Sammy's recent offerings regarding this subject.

All I can say is, if EJ starts, I hope he shoves this crap right up the local media's proverbial poop shoot.

Jouralistic conjecture AKA reading the tea leaves.

I think the Bengals are a good a team...

But I do agree they are due to lay an egg...And there is precedence here (sort of)...Before they went to NE and got throttled last year the Bengals were 3-0 and had outscored their opponents 80-33...

The thing about that NE game was the Pats jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the 1st...And then answered the Bengals FG with two of their own...So it was 20-3 at halftime...I think that will be key for the Bills this Sunday...If they can jump on the Bengals early and force them to be one dimensional the crowd will come in to play and make it really tough on the visitors...But if the Bengals jump out to a lead early like the Giants and Pats did...The Bills are in big, big trouble... B-)

I think the Bengals are a good team too, but they aren't the Patriots.

I think the DBs are going to have a great game, and the offense is going to be way better with Watkins and McCoy.

EJM or Tyrod...I think EJM will be better than a hobbled Tyrod, and that's another boost. I expect a big game from Watkins, who just may prefer EJM, and will see this as an opportunity to show what he can do with more targets.

This is a big game.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Robert Woods: "We have to finish it off at home" (9:05)

Bills wide receiver Robert Woods joined The John Murphy Show to discuss the quarterback status for Sunday, his role in this year's offense, and looks at this weekend's game against the Bengals.

Download the Week 6 Fan Playbook for your tablet

FolioCover_wk6_v.jpg

Download the Bills Touch Fan Playbook for Week 6 of the Buffalo Bills 2015 season for a behind-the-scenes look at the team and all the action on gameday on your tablet.

Coffee with the Coach Presented by Tim Hortons (3:47)

Chris Brown sits down with HC Rex Ryan to talk about hosting an undefeated opponent in Week 6, LeSean McCoy, getting off to a good start on Offense against the Bengals and more.

Why does the media not point out that it was Whaley who signed Cassel just two weeks prior? If he was so gung ho to get rid of him why do that at all?

I have heard that Whaley and Cassel had an understanding that if a situation arose that would give him an opportunity to get on the field, the Bills would try to accommodate him. When the Cowboys called after Romo went down the Bills did that. As we now see, Cassel will start next week for the ineffective Brandon Weeden.

Why does the media not point out that it was Whaley who signed Cassel just two weeks prior? If he was so gung ho to get rid of him why do that at all?

It's speculative to attribute a transaction to one person in the Bills organization. We currently have an odd structure wherein the coach and GM both report directly to the Owner, putting the two of them on even ground. I personally tend to associate Whaley with the draft and the coaches with some of the FA/trade moves, but again, it's all speculation. Unlike most teams the Bills do not seem to have one man with the authority to make any personnel decision he wants. Meanwhie it was reported by Peter King that Greg Roman asked for two things when he came aboard- Percy Harvin and Matt Cassel.

I don't buy the 'rogue' narrative one bit because, under the current structure, I don't envision Terry Pegula allowing Whaley to make moves without at least making Ryan aware of them first. To me it looks like they decided EJ was better than Cassel, or about the same, or at least close enough that it was worth adding the draft pick. Just pointing out that it's never fact that Whaley made a given move when the coach has just as much power within the organization as he does.

After Falcons' loss Thursday, are unbeaten Bengals on upset alert?
As the 5-0 Bengals prepare for issue-plagued Buffalo, Atlanta's loss to the Saints should serve as a warning that turnovers can sink any team.

Bengals respect EJ Manuel, unfazed by Bills' QB uncertainty
Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis knows Buffalo will start a QB capable of making plays, so he says the focus is on stopping the Bills' scheme.

Mark Kelso: Bengals at Bills Game Preview (19:31)
Mark Kelso, Murph's partner on the radio broadcast sat down on The John Murphy Show to give his weekly, in-depth game preview. Kelso breaks down this week's matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Whats Good with Robert Woods (4:00)
In this segment of "Whats Good with Robert Woods" Alexandra Vitale, Robert Woods, and Aaron Williams check out Larkin Square's Food Truck Tuesdays.

TOP 10 REASONS BILLS-BENGALS IS A BIG GAME

The undefeated Cincinnati Bengals step into our house on Sunday, and in a battle of AFC teams, this game has big potential and big implications.

WATCH: BENGALS-BILLS GAME PREVIEW (4:15)

Chris Brown and John Murphy discuss keys to the game, the latest on injury news headed in to week 6, players being excited at the opportunity to face an undefeated team at home and more.

@buffalobills

This time tomorrow, a #ColdFront rolls through Ralph Wilson Stadium. Download: http://clubbuffalobills.com

SpicyReadyAfghanhound.gif

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: #Bills ILB Preston Brown knows challenges Eifert, noise, up tempo pose ... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/17/preston-brown-knows-the-noise-eifert-up-tempo-pose-challenges/