Worst refereed sports

Gasjuggler

I think football is the worst. The best baseball followed by hockey and basketball, soccer. If anything can ever ruin the popularity of football it's the refereeing. So many bogus calls that make it look like it's fixed.

They have to get full time referees, the referees should never be on camera just their audio. Maybe replay and reversals for penalties. If they are calling holding closely it has to be consistent for both teams. I'm amazed how often baseball umpires are proved right on a bang bang play with replay. Anyone else have ideas.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a big improvement if they just called the game fairly and only call the penalties that are real and affect the play.

I've always thought Basketball playoffs was the worst but watching the first four weeks in the NFL this year has me rethinking that.

I think it's time for full time officials. The NFL keeps arguing they want these bank presidents and such as officials as they make a large enough salary not to take bribes, but in todays world they can just as easily be bought. On top of that anyone making a six figure salary today isn't working a 9 to 5 job, so do these guys really have enough time to study the game as much as they should. Just as we often say about coaches in the case of the refs, I think the game is passing many of these guys by too. I wouldn't dump them all immediately, but I'd phase in a full time officials program.

I think it's time for full time officials. The NFL keeps arguing they want these bank presidents and such as officials as they make a large enough salary not to take bribes, but in todays world they can just as easily be bought. On top of that anyone making a six figure salary today isn't working a 9 to 5 job, so do these guys really have enough time to study the game as much as they should. Just as we often say about coaches in the case of the refs, I think the game is passing many of these guys by too. I wouldn't dump them all immediately, but I'd phase in a full time officials program.

I'd think the bank presidents making 6-figure salaries are exactly the type of guys who could be bought. Maybe even more so than the 9-to-5ers.

I hope this isn't an excuse for yesterday's ugliness, but the penalties being called and not called have been more questionable over the past 5-6 years. It's either rigged or the officials are just incompetent.

I think football is the worst. The best baseball followed by hockey and basketball, soccer. If anything can ever ruin the popularity of football it's the refereeing. So many bogus calls that make it look like it's fixed.

They have to get full time referees, the referees should never be on camera just their audio. Maybe replay and reversals for penalties. If they are calling holding closely it has to be consistent for both teams. I'm amazed how often baseball umpires are proved right on a bang bang play with replay. Anyone else have ideas.

Baseball umpires are the worst and it isn't even close. There is no NFL ref as bad in football as C.B Bucknor and Angel Hernendez.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Baseball umpires are the worst and it isn't even close. There is no NFL ref as bad in football as C.B Bucknor and Angel Hernendez.

At leas with umps, they develop a history and, for instance a known strike zone, that players are aware of. Some guys the zone is big, some smaller but generally its the same. Yes it's probably outside the rule books but it's widely known and accepted, and part of the supposed charm of baseball. And that's the issue... its known and accepted. Football is more about consistent application and interpretation of the rules, and it's not even close. We have never come to expect and accept that a two handed jersey grab on a rushing DL is not a hold for a certain ref. And a chop block is below, not above, the waist.

I see baseball umpires as the most arrogant - as if the fans are there to watch them, not the game.

I still think football officials miss more calls, but a lot of them are very subjective. You can make a case on almost every holding, pass interference, or roughing the QB penalties that they shouldn't have been called.

At leas with umps, they develop a history and, for instance a known strike zone, that players are aware of. Some guys the zone is big, some smaller but generally its the same. Yes it's probably outside the rule books but it's widely known and accepted, and part of the supposed charm of baseball. And that's the issue... its known and accepted. Football is more about consistent application and interpretation of the rules, and it's not even close. We have never come to expect and accept that a two handed jersey grab on a rushing DL is not a hold for a certain ref. And a chop block is below, not above, the waist.

I watch a ton of baseball and I couldn't disagree with you more. Umpires are vastly inconsisent with their strike zone. Inning to inning and a lot of the times the strike zone isn't equal for both teams.

As another poster pointed out, baseball umpires are the most arrogant too. There was one ump that charged a pitcher on the mound this year because he didn't like his body language with the called balls and strikes.

Anyone who thinks the NFL is worse than the NBA doesn't watch the NBA.

I watch a ton of baseball and I couldn't disagree with you more. Umpires are vastly inconsisent with their strike zone. Inning to inning and a lot of the times the strike zone isn't equal for both teams.

As another poster pointed out, baseball umpires are the most arrogant too. There was one ump that charged a pitcher on the mound this year because he didn't like his body language with the called balls and strikes.

I actually think that the umping has gotten a lot better because of the ability to track pitches now. I watch a ton too, and except for a couple of guys like Angel Hernandez (worst ball/strike caller in the league by the numbers) and Joe West, most are pretty good. (I watch a ton of baseball too.)

Edited by dave mcbride

Anyone who thinks the NFL is worse than the NBA doesn't watch the NBA.

I actually think that the umping has gotten a lot better because of the ability to track pitches now. I watch a ton too, and except for a couple of guys like Angel Hernandez (worst ball/strike caller in the league by the numbers) and Joe West, most are pretty good. (I watch a ton of baseball too.)

I disagree. Umpire IMO has gotten worse.

I watch the Jays broadcast and they show the pitch trax on every pitch. Based on what I have seen in the last 5 years or so, umpries are for the most part very bad. Laz diaz, Dan Bellino, Joe West, Bill Miller, Bob Davidson, Jordan Baker, Adrian Johnson, Jim Wolf.

I shouldn't even know any of these names but they are so bad on a consistent basis they stick out like sore thumbs.

Where did they get all of these jokers? The refs this year are horrible. It is so painful to watch a game with all the flags. Let them play freaken football!

Same refeeres as any other year.

Refs have to retire, die or do something illegal to get fired for someone new to come in.

As a huge sports fan although soccer doesn't have the worst refs, soccer refs probably influence the outcome of the game more than any other because scoring is so difficult and at at such a premium. A blown call in the box hurts more than any other blown call in any other sport.

I've said it before and I will say it again. It all starts with the rules themselves. They are currently unenforceable in a consistent manner due to being too anal, and left up to interpretation by the individual referees. Simplify and remove the unnecessary rules. You can't blame the refs for doing the best they can with bull **** rules.

A lot of people who don't know much about something often have very strong opinions about that thing. Often those are wrong. My uncle referees at the high school level. He has told me how incredibly difficult the job of an NFL ref is, and how good NFL refs are overall. There are exceptions, of course, but overall they are great at what they do.

The rules are much more complex than they used to be. That has increased the difficulty of the job. Also, believe it or not, a lot of fans don't actually understand the rules all that well. No one likes to get jobbed on a call - and it happens - but people tend to remember the ones that went against them a lot more vividly than the ones that went for them.

As for other sports I find it unbelievable that MLB umps are still calling balls and strikes. Automated systems are more reliable and easily verifiable. You can't tell me that "good" pitchers don't get the benefit of the doubt on balls and strikes a lot more than ones that aren't considered is good. It'd be nice to see that change. The worst officiating would have to go to the NBA. They probably have the toughest job but I give it to them based solely on the fact that they've been caught taking cri they probably have the toughest job but I give it to them based solely on the fact that some of them got caught taking bribes. THAT got swept under the rug quickly.

Here are the jobs that yesterdays refs have....

R 35 John Hussey - sales representative, retail logistics group

U 115 Tony Michalek - USA Football officiating director

HL 106 Wayne Mackie - director of operations, housing

LJ 107 Ron Marinucci - vice president, novelty cone company

FJ 86 Jimmy Buchanan - insurance agent

SJ 56 Allen Baynes - realtor

BJ 61 Keith Ferguson - sales

I agree MLB is the best by far.

I watch an NHL game almost every night in the hockey season; the officiating in that league is beyond bad, and it is wildly inconsistent within games and from game to game and crew to crew.

I agree MLB is the best by far.

I watch an NHL game almost every night in the hockey season; the officiating in that league is beyond bad, and it is wildly inconsistent within games and from game to game and crew to crew.

i also watch hockey nearly every night during the season (much to the *delight" of my wife ;) ). And I disagree completely. There are very few things that they can even be inconsistent about in hockey. They do let some ticky tack things go, particularly late in the game if the game is close as to not decide the game themselves. For things like offsides if you go look at the replays you will see that they make the correct call nearly every time. And since they now review every goal automatically that ends up being correct as well. I tend to find most NHL games to be very well officiated (though I do catch myself in homer mode sometimes thinking the Sabres are getting screwed :) ).

As a side note, not sure how much I like the idea of challenges this season in hockey, or the new 3v3 overtime. I hope challenges don't slow down the game like they can in football. Only 1 challenge per game per team and if they are wrong they lose their only timeout so I am hopeful that makes the coaches use it very judiciously.

Edited by CodeMonkey