Cornelius Bennett - HOF chances

whiteboy

Paup was more effective because we'd replaced Walt Corey with Wade who moved Bennett inside where he played very well. Blaming Bennett for Walt Corey's inability to use his talent is horseshit.

Corey sucked but he rushed 4 all the time...it was unsophisticated but it was a players scheme.

Biscuit had tons of opportunity.....and those teams were often playing with big leads.

Biscuit still couldn't cash those checks.

He literally had no pass rush repertoire and wasn't improving and that's why they had to sign Paup.

Of course, Corey didn't stop Bruce Smith from piling up the sacks.

But, be wrong. It's ok.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Bennett felt like playing hard, he was unstoppable. The rest of the time, he was invisible. That '91 year when he had to pick up the slack when Bruce was injured sticks out as the only time he was consistently dominant. In the 4 SB losses, invisible. Had he played like he wanted to be in the HOF all of the time, he would be in the HOF. He never lived up to his potential.

Tasker, despite his broadcasting "skills", definitely deserves that honor well before Bennett does. So does Talley, but Darryl won't get there, either.

I recently saw a documentary on Derrick Thomas and Cornelious was featured often as they were teamates in college.

It got me thinking about if has any chance to make the HOF?

IMHO, he didn't do enough to even garner honorable mention for Canton. Steve Tasker on the other hand......WOW, it just boggles the mind that he hasn't been inducted. I guess he'll have to languish for a couple of decades before he is deemed worthy. What a damned shame.

Politicking never hurts, certainly, but Andre's numbers when he retired stand out for his era. Biscuit just never achieved that kind of sustained production. He certainly had his moments; it's just too bad he didn't have enough to settle the question emphatically.

GO BILLS!!!

Not only that but he didn't establish himself in the playoffs either. If he did, the conversation would be different. He was a great player but he wasn't mentioned in the same breath as his contemporaries.

I have to agree that some people are selling the Biscuit short at this point. Although just a small clip, watch this youtube video starting at 22:50 mark. Keep in mind he was not benefiting from playing opposite Bruce during this time because Bruce was out the majority of this season. He could be an absolute force to deal with,,,

I do think his biggest problem was dealing with lingering injuries, not that he didn't have the heart

Thanks for that! Man, that brought a tear to my eyes.

His entire career he never had a double digit sack year, he came close in 1988 with 9.5 sacks that year & that was as close to double digits as he ever got !

His next best year was the SB year or 1991 when he had 9 so i don't know that just being a steady contributor counts as HOF ?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BennCo00.htm

Don't know if this cry's HOF

During that time I actually valued Darryl Talley more as a Bill because I thought he was such a great vocal motivator for the team. Biscuit struck me as a more physically talented and gifted athlete, but I always felt Biscuit did less with the gifts he had than Talley who though limited physically in many ways he did more with that those limited gifts than the more speedy others.

Well said King. Talley played with so much heart and passion, yet less athletic ability. He played to the whistle every play. I don't see Bennett making the HOF. He's been out for quite some time, and never have we heard him making the top 15. My hope someday Tasker gets in as he meets the criteria. A good way to get in the HOF is to change the game, and transcend a position. Tasker is the best special teams player of all time.

Bennett, Talley, Conlon were 3 really really good linebackers but none of them were great and HOF worthy. Definitely could have done a lot worse over those years at LB, all 3 good but that is it, they had flashes but not enough to be considered great.

IMHO, he didn't do enough to even garner honorable mention for Canton. Steve Tasker on the other hand......WOW, it just boggles the mind that he hasn't been inducted. I guess he'll have to languish for a couple of decades before he is

deemed worthy. What a damned shame.

The greatest obstacle to overcome for Tasker is that some of the HOF voters are on record saying they will never vote for a player that was not a starter. Tasker was great at his role as ST'er and defined that role for future players. Yet he may never make the hall, as by definition hall of fame worthiness and being a reserve are mutually exclusive in the eyes of some committee members. Most of these voters are journalists, and many of them covered Tasker for his whole career.

The greatest obstacle to overcome for Tasker is that some of the HOF voters are on record saying they will never vote for a player that was not a starter. Tasker was great at his role as ST'er and defined that role for future players. Yet he may never make the hall, as by definition hall of fame worthiness and being a reserve are mutually exclusive in the eyes of some committee members. Most of these voters are journalists, and many of them covered Tasker for his whole career.

The only way Tasker gets in is as a senior nominee like Ray Guy.

I think people on here are selling him short as far as HOF chances. Will it happen soon? Probably not. But it may happen down the road.

Using PFR Approximate Value and comparing him with other OLBs, both in and out of the HOF, he stacks up pretty well. Biscuit has a total of 121 placing him #22 All-time. And that includes some guys who are debatable as OLB, like Julius Peppers and Lance Briggs. He ranks ahead of several HOFers including Andre Tippett 109, Dave Robinson 103 and Dave Wilcox 91. Among others who are candidates he ranks behind Clay Matthews 137, Isiah Robertson 127 and Kevin Greene 122.

He made 5 Pro Bowls, was a star on a 4 time super bowl and AFC champion. I'm not so sure he has zero chance. He is probably 50/50 to make it somewhere down the road.

I still say the majority of the folks saying he has NO chance are missing the fact that alot of the guys mentioned above got in well after their career was over. Don't get me wrong I don't think its happening in the next couple years. However,very surprising on a Bills board that so many seem down on Bennett. He is not the worst candidate.

Edited by The Thurmanator