Bills rank high in "toxic differential"

papazoid

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/10/01/bills-ranking-high-in-toxic-differential/

It was a statistic invented by former Baltimore head coach Brian Billick. Toxic differential takes turnover differential, big pass play differential and big run play differential and adds them together. The higher the number the better. Through the first three games this season the Bills rank very high in toxic differential.

Buffalo’s figure is a +12 so far this season, which ranks third in the league right now behind only Carolina, which is a gaudy +17 and Cincinnati at a +14.

I remember last year the Bills started off great in this area through the first two weeks, then fell off drastically. The defense continued to limit big plays but the offense went anemic.

Hopefully this year they can keep it up.

I wonder if someone could create a weighted version of this stat. Creating a turnover is more valuable than a executing a 30 yard pass, a 50 yard run is obviously more valuable than a 35 yard run, and it doesn't make sense to have a 100% weight (25 yard pass) so close to a 0% weight (24 yard pass).

Also, it really doesn't matter how the yardage is gained - a 25 yard run has the exact same impact as a 25 yard pass. Don't know why a 10 yard run gets a team a point, but a ten yard pass gets a team nothing.

Edited by PlayBills

^^^ Because of how it impacts the defense. A 10 yard pass requires no extensive adjustment on the defenses part. A 10 yard run forces them to bring another defender into the box if you line up the same way the next play.

Especially in this age of football it definitely matters how the yards are gained.

Edited by CJallDAY

I know it's inconsequential, but I hate the name. I hear 'high in toxic' anything and I don't associate it with good things.

Its toxic to opposing teams. This Buffalo Bills poison is killer, man..