Best pizza in wny?

:lol: I got several emails about it. It has a full bar, and a good reputation. Only problem is, I have no money or collateral to get that size of a loan. I do have some friends looking into it. I can run it (at least the front of the house---have to hire someone who knows how to run a kitchen), and put in the sweat equity. But unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy it. I'd go back to WNY in a heartbeat.

It would be tough for that kind of local business but I know a guy who's raising an angel round via a crowdfunding platform. Nice to see innovative ways to connect motivated people with capital.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: I got several emails about it. It has a full bar, and a good reputation. Only problem is, I have no money or collateral to get that size of a loan. I do have some friends looking into it. I can run it (at least the front of the house---have to hire someone who knows how to run a kitchen), and put in the sweat equity. But unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy it. I'd go back to WNY in a heartbeat.

is that the place owned by a guy named Aldo?

is that the place owned by a guy named Aldo?

Indeed. La Hacienda was around for years, on Pine Ave and 9th (I think. maybe 10th) in a small shack. Aldo bought it and moved it (might have been moved before he bought it, not certain) to 31st (or so). Many will say the pizza went a bit downhill then. Maybe. But not by much. Aldo has run it very well for all these years, IMO.

It, the Como (it is what it is), Fortuna's (a great Italian restaurant owned and run by my friend Joey Fortuna), Viola's and DiCamillo Bakery are Niagara Falls institutions. Pete's Market House is another--but that has gone through so many ownership/name changes, it's hard to keep it in that same category. Finally Trusello's, now called DG Bakery, is once again, alive and well. A fabulous spot for great bread, and unbeatable bread dough pizza. A great Niagara Falls institution come back from the dead!

I'm sure I'm missing one or two.

Tomato paste? I doubt they use any paste.

I liked Bocce Club at first, and still do a bit. But I eventually got sick of the sauce. Good, in small doses, I suppose. There was a Bocce's offshoot (former partner or employee) on Kenmore (Englewood, maybe?--somewhere near the Main St campus) back in the 70's that was pretty good, too.

In the early 2000's wasn't there a real "Italian-style" pizzeria with a coal or wood burning brick oven? Never had a pie there. Can't remember the name, but always thought I should have had a pizza there.

This is from someone that worked there. The paste they use has the best tomato flavor ever. Really curious who/what brand makes it.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/24091-bocces-pizza-sauce-what-is-the-secret/?p=334027

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Indeed. La Hacienda was around for years, on Pine Ave and 9th (I think. maybe 10th) in a small shack. Aldo bought it and moved it (might have been moved before he bought it, not certain) to 31st (or so). Many will say the pizza went a bit downhill then. Maybe. But not by much. Aldo has run it very well for all these years, IMO.

It, the Como (it is what it is), Fortuna's (a great Italian restaurant owned and run by my friend Joey Fortuna), Viola's and DiCamillo Bakery are Niagara Falls institutions. Pete's Market House is another--but that has gone through so many ownership/name changes, it's hard to keep it in that same category. Finally Trusello's, now called DG Bakery, is once again, alive and well. A fabulous spot for great bread, and unbeatable bread dough pizza. A great Niagara Falls institution come back from the dead!

I'm sure I'm missing one or two.

we always went to la hacienda and dicamillos growing up. Aldo's pasta fagiole is the best I've ever had. The pizza is greasy but you just plan for it and worth it. I had been to Fortuna's a long time ago, quite good if I recall. I think you should buy la hacienda. I assume he's selling due to age and no family to run it?

we always went to la hacienda and dicamillos growing up. Aldo's pasta fagiole is the best I've ever had. The pizza is greasy but you just plan for it and worth it. I had been to Fortuna's a long time ago, quite good if I recall. I think you should buy la hacienda. I assume he's selling due to age and no family to run it?

Seem to remember some kind of fountain in Fortunas...we did not eat there often. Trusellos had the best pizza bread!

Dean, i never remember La Hacienda on 9th. I am 53 and been going there since my earliest memories...learn something new everyday!

This is from someone that worked there. The paste they use has the best tomato flavor ever. Really curious who/what brand makes it.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/24091-bocces-pizza-sauce-what-is-the-secret/?p=334027

That's what I don't like about WNY (or most American pizza) is they use tomato paste in their sauce and then put too much of that sauce on the pizza. A tomato paste thickened sauce it too sweet. A good sauce has only whole canned tomatoes (San Marzano is the best IMO). For me the best wat to get tomatoes on a pizza are fresh sliced tomatoes and no sauce. However if you use sauce it should be very sparingly. If you make good dough the crust should be the highlight of the pizza not just the delivery system for 14 overpowering toppings.

Once again this is 100% the way I like my pizza. And would never give people **** for how they like their pizza. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

It was probably there in your lifetime---but not very much of it. It was near Memorial Hospital, on the other side of the street. And, yes, Aldo says he is getting too old.

http://buffalo.com/2015/09/21/featured/end-of-an-era-la-hacienda-in-niagara-falls-for-sale/

That's what I don't like about WNY (or most American pizza) is they use tomato paste in their sauce and then put too much of that sauce on the pizza. A tomato paste thickened sauce it too sweet. A good sauce has only whole canned tomatoes (San Marzano is the best IMO). For me the best wat to get tomatoes on a pizza are fresh sliced tomatoes and no sauce. However if you use sauce it should be very sparingly. If you make good dough the crust should be the highlight of the pizza not just the delivery system for 14 overpowering toppings.

Once again this is 100% the way I like my pizza. And would never give people **** for how they like their pizza. :D

I agree, Chef, for the most part. A fresh tomato pie is good, as is one with a "clean" sauce, and not over sauced.

If this is actually Bocce's ingredients, I now know why I got sick of their sauce. Tomato paste? Sugar? WTF are they thinking?

It's very easy to make a good pizza sauce. Like Chef says, start with good tomatoes--San Marzano, or a good brand like Pomi (their finely chopped or strained tomatoes are pretty good), Cento or Tuttorosso. Salt and pepper. Maybe some oregano (I have some dried Sicilian oregano that is great on pizza). You can add stuff to your pizza like garlic or basil, but you don't need to add it to the sauce, IMO.

There are actually a couple decent store-bought ready-made pizza sauces. I don't buy them because it is so easy to make from scratch. But I've had a couple decent ones. Don Peppino is one brand. The other name escapes me. But I will say, the good ones have VERY few ingredients--and no added sugar (tomatoes are sweet enough).

Wow, $1.3M...includes the building though. Damn that pizza in the picture looks great!

Tuttorosso my brand of choice for all my tomato needs :thumbsup:

He'll never get close to that price. Funny thing is, he admits as much in the article.