Watkins Injury Update - post em here

truth on hold

Wow.

Come on guys, it wasn't a "wow" post.

He has a point. We're biased towards certain players.

Manziel has only played a couple games and everyone thinks he's a total bust (or just wants him to be because they don't like him personally). A lot of people have used the "only 14 games" card with EJ. He's got a valid point there. I guess saying Manziel will be good in 3-4 years is questionable.

I think Sammy is an incredible talent, and normally you should be patient. But the way Evans and OBJ (and Benjamin before the injury) have produced, you just expect a bit more. A poster was snarky when someone mentioned Watkins might be prone to injuries because he works out too much (pretty harmless speculation IMO) and that's what jaybee was referring to.

And I agree 100%, the general consensus on this board, and nearly every mainstream board, is based on popularity. I read his post over a 2nd time and I don't see what he said that deserves a response like "wow" which is better used on a post advocating Eugenics or domestic violence or something.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manziel has only played a couple games and everyone thinks he's a total bust (or just wants him to be because they don't like him personally). A lot of people have used the "only 14 games" card with EJ. He's got a valid point there. I guess saying Manziel will be good in 3-4 years is questionable.

I think Sammy is an incredible talent, and normally you should be patient. But the way Evans and OBJ (and Benjamin before the injury) have produced, you just expect a bit more. A poster was snarky when someone mentioned Watkins might be prone to injuries because he works out too much (pretty harmless speculation IMO) and that's what jaybee was referring to.

And I agree 100%, the general consensus on this board, and nearly every mainstream board, is based on popularity. I read his post over a 2nd time and I don't see what he said that deserves a response like "wow" which is better used on a post advocating Eugenics or domestic violence or something.

You agree that Kevin Kolb and Sammy Watkins deserve the same treatment?

There are always going to be people on this board who jump up to "shout down" opinions they don't like despite the fact that they do not have a counterpoint.

Ignorance is bliss.

15 years ago if someone on TSW would have pointed out a QB's yards per attempt as a meaningful stat here there would be a ton of "wow"'s and "a QB control that" nonsense.

Now we know that certain stats that once weren't used or maybe even available for broader analysis are now great indicators of future success.

Right now the NFL and most sports leagues are still in the pound of cure is less effort than finding a way to prevent injuries......but as the margins start to tighten for owners as the unions get bigger shares of the pie then I think we will see a them become much more interested in protecting their investments.

We've already seen it to some extent with the concussion issue. The threat of lost revenue has had them spending to find solutions.

Edited by #BADOL

so how is Sammy doing?

Next week or they sit him again?

I dont mind if they sit both McCoy and Watkins honestly. Sure they are playmakers that have to be accounted for by defenses and thats important as hell.

But Bills spread the ball around already. i think its a strength for the team honestly.

Lets see if Karlos can bell cow a bit, and Boobie step up( and over) and how the PS kid fares at spelling Karlos.

Hogan gets another shot, he did well enough last week. and let Robert and Percy shine . IF Glass doesnt play lets see Easley get a shot!

Sammy Watkins is a baller with great coaching.

Edited by 3rdand12

Thats what 'm trying to say, thanks MU. the guy that says I'm comparing him to Kolb has poor reading comprehension, or is trying to "twist" things to suit his MO. What we gave up for Sammy (and I love Sammy) is more than we've gotten in return...so far. Its not recurring injuries for Sammy, its something new each time and I get the human body isnt designed for NFL contact but so far he seems out, or not 100% more than similar position players.

Go Bills.

There are always going to be people on this board who jump up to "shout down" opinions they don't like despite the fact that they do not have a counterpoint.

Ignorance is bliss.

15 years ago if someone on TSW would have pointed out a QB's yards per attempt as a meaningful stat here there would be a ton of "wow"'s and "a QB control that" nonsense.

Now we know that certain stats that once weren't used or maybe even available for broader analysis are now great indicators of future success.

Right now the NFL and most sports leagues are still in the pound of cure is less effort than finding a way to prevent injuries......but as the margins start to tighten for owners as the unions get bigger shares of the pie then I think we will see a them become much more interested in protecting their investments.

We've already seen it to some extent with the concussion issue. The threat of lost revenue has had them spending to find solutions.

Or just fringe ideas in general. You go back in history and some fringe ideas are nonsense, but many more move into the center like "the earth is round" and "yards per attempt is important" as you mentioned.

It's just a game.

When he's healthy, he appears to be Buffalo's best player by a mile.

He can catch anything thrown his way, played his ass off last year and was a major part of the Bills best record in a decade, and has played well so far this year.

He has an injury, it's football, people get injured.

I can't wait for him to come back, he's fun to watch, and easy to root for.

Who cares what we gave up to get him.

Instead of worrying about, put your energy towards building a time machine to go back and reverse the deal.
Can't do that, you say?

Great, STFU and keep it moving.

I'm hopeful that Sammy's "tweaks" so far this year are the result of not having a clean offseason (i.e., surgery). Similar to what is now being done with Shady, I'd like to see Buffalo sit Sammy this week and next, and hopefully we get a chance to finally see what he brings to the table.

I guess I'm not sure what the criteria for defining someone as "injury prone" is, and I do believe it's a combination of bad luck and genetics that may be able to be overcome utilizing some of the training methods that are now coming to the forefront in the field of sports science.

It's a shame Bills fans are fighting over the issue, though. There's no question Sammy is an unbelievable talent and we all want to see him on the field.

It is one injury after another with Watkins. He is almost reaching disappointment level.

Is this guy ever going to be healthy for an extended string of games?

I understand this is his 1st game out but he has been hobbled more than not.

He needs to become more consistent in all aspects of his game.

Imo

But will he be cut on the 2nd day of free agency?

I was going to question one or 2 posts of this thread for being overtly speculative, but I couldn't fit all of them in a single post. This subject has gotten borderline asinine.

To wit:

• lots of armchair physicians who are questioning how long a soft tissue injury (calf) can take to heal. Note to self: you guys have zero knowledge of what the specific injury is and what the rehab protocol is. Stop pretending like you have a degree in sports medicine.
  • others comparing a soft tissue injury to a bone injury ... ("next it will be an ankle or a hip"). Or that if it's "just a muscle injury", there's a "chance he'll play Sunday...".... :wallbash:
  • Others questioning whether "he's ever healthy" and "he's done nothing since the first half of last year". Uh, having a competent QB has something to do with his production. Dude played through hip cartilage and rib injuries last year. Tough enough for you?
  • Others suggesting he "has to work on becoming injury free", as if pro football is some kind of non-contact sport.
  • here is one of my favorites: "With Sammy, I think it's a combination of physical changes and a need for better understanding of the protective equipment he needs" .... right., as if there is some magical padding to prevent that calf injury. So let me get this straight: physical changes as in what exactly ??? Another :wallbash:
  • Comparing Sammy to Kolb; yeah, that's legit

Just. Stop. Now...... some of you better not quit your day jobs

It's just a game.

When he's healthy, he appears to be Buffalo's best player by a mile.

He can catch anything thrown his way, played his ass off last year and was a major part of the Bills best record in a decade, and has played well so far this year.

He has an injury, it's football, people get injured.

I can't wait for him to come back, he's fun to watch, and easy to root for.

Who cares what we gave up to get him.

Instead of worrying about, put your energy towards building a time machine to go back and reverse the deal.

Can't do that, you say?

Great, STFU and keep it moving.

Nice rant, but keep what moving? :lol:

One of the reasons the Bills have finally assembled the kind of talent that parity promises teams after several years of losing is learning from observed mistakes.

I am a Sammy fan, he was my top rated player in the 2014 draft but the injuries, particularly the soft tissue ones that have nagged him for the past 3 months, gotta be resolved.

so how is Sammy doing?

Next week or they sit him again?

I dont mind if they sit both McCoy and Watkins honestly. Sure they are playmakers that have to be accounted for by defenses and thats important as hell.

But Bills spread the ball around already. i think its a strength for the team honestly.

Lets see if Karlos can bell cow a bit, and Boobie step up( and over) and how the PS kid fares at spelling Karlos.

Hogan gets another shot, he did well enough last week. and let Robert and Percy shine . IF Glass doesnt play lets see Easley get a shot!

Sammy Watkins is a baller with great coaching.

I thought Mr. Glass was determined out for week 4, Friday??

Imo

So you guys that are unhappy with Sammy, what do you propose the Bills do with him? Cut him? Trade him?

I understood they were more considering tar and feathers if he doesn't equal OBJ by week 6. Difference in offensive philosophy, QB quality, # of other quality targets - pffffft, who cares? Excuses.

It is possible there might be a reason why there was a move to replace the long- tenured Bud Carpenter last year?

I'm hopeful that Sammy's "tweaks" so far this year are the result of not having a clean offseason (i.e., surgery). Similar to what is now being done with Shady, I'd like to see Buffalo sit Sammy this week and next, and hopefully we get a chance to finally see what he brings to the table.

I guess I'm not sure what the criteria for defining someone as "injury prone" is, and I do believe it's a combination of bad luck and genetics that may be able to be overcome utilizing some of the training methods that are now coming to the forefront in the field of sports science.

It's a shame Bills fans are fighting over the issue, though. There's no question Sammy is an unbelievable talent and we all want to see him on the field.

It's possible that all of these softies are related to his being laid up with hip surgery but if inactivity and half speed action is to blame for them then who knows what effect resting will have.

Shady's issue is probably less correctable, IMO. His big complaint is heavy legs and that was his complaint last year too. He's likely just been over-used to this point in his career.

It's possible that all of these softies are related to his being laid up with hip surgery but if inactivity and half speed action is to blame for them then who knows what effect resting will have.

Shady's issue is probably less correctable, IMO. His big complaint is heavy legs and that was his complaint last year too. He's likely just been over-used to this point in his career.

Heavy Legs? Did he say that?

That is a tell tale sign of a RB beginning to slow down. I hope he did not say that.

Imo

Nice rant, but keep what moving? :lol:

One of the reasons the Bills have finally assembled the kind of talent that parity promises teams after several years of losing is learning from observed mistakes.

I am a Sammy fan, he was my top rated player in the 2014 draft but the injuries, particularly the soft tissue ones that have nagged him for the past 3 months, gotta be resolved.

Haha, it truly wasn't meant to be a rant, I just am a bit jaded to the amount of pure emotion that is invested in "Sammy Watkins"--the fanbase has to look at him as if he is bigger than a football player, as if he is somehow a referendum on the entire philosophy of the Buffalo Bills organization.

Decisions are not made in a vacuum. The same football people who built the team that each of us (this season) enjoys watching so much, and truly feel can contend for greatness, are the same people that made the deal to draft Sammy Watkins. He is an inseparable piece of the 2015 Buffalo Bills roster, injured or not. I know it is ridiculous to complain about people complaining about football players on a website dedicated to sharing your emotions with strangers about strangers playing a game, but the amount of energy that has been expelled by Buffalo fans in analyzing the Sammy pick is overwhelming at times.

He seems like a nice young man, he's a joy to watch on the football field, he won us some games (DET/MIN/others I'm probably forgetting) last year with amazing plays, and even if ODB has better "stats" the Bills are winning at a much better clip than the Gmen since Whaley took over and started aggressively shaping the roster. Dealing for Watkins was part of that aggressive strategy, and quite frankly, I don't know enough about football play calling to know the degree of impact a player as talented as Sammy can have when he's not the #1 option on a play. Based on the success of the Bills since Watkins arrived, however, I would guess it's not negligible. Also, based on the lack of games he has missed due to injury, as opposed to say, Kiko (drafted a year earlier/has a cult like following in Buf despite no longer playing here) I don't think it's fair to complain about the guy's injuries.

He's a small receiver with a big heart and great hands, and he wins games for the Bills.

Not every team is willing to cheat like the Patriots and make football look as easy as winning 52-7 every week and going 19-0. Some (31) teams have to play by the rules, and sometimes when you play by the rules, you win some and you lose some. The Bills win more with Sammy, and he's fun to watch.

I'm glad Whaley drafted him, and I'm glad Whaley is our GM.

Heavy Legs? Did he say that?

That is a tell tale sign of a RB beginning to slow down. I hope he did not say that.

Imo

Last year he said he lacked explosiveness because Chip practiced too hard.

This year he says he lacks explosiveness because of his sore hammy.

He already had 3 weeks off when he initially strained the hammy so I guess he needs 4-5 more weeks now? :rolleyes: