The Bills are the top rushing offense/ top rushing defense

Kelly the Dog

About 1 of every 3 yards gained is a rushing yard. This is still significant and being able to stop the run is important, especially when an opposing team is ahead and trying to run the clock and in short-yardage situations.

But, here's a scary stat: The Bills have the 30th ranked D in yards allowed per game.

Rex is usually in the Top Ten. And the Bills had the personnel to finish in the Top Five last year.

What's going on?

The Bills offense, in contrast, is #10. Who would have expected that the Bills O would be far ahead of the Bills D in the rankings after three games?

I think a couple of things:

1. We were up so much in the Colts game that the Colts racked up yards in garbage time. I know it's not an excuse, but it's a reality.

2. The Pats game was an abomination.

3. Much like the Colts, we were up so much on the Dolphins that the passing game for Miami racked up yards in garbage time. Again, not an excuse, but it was a reality yesterday.

This defense is going to continue to get better, statistically. I think aside from the Pats game, the defense has been outstanding overall. Ironically enough, our offense has been so good so far this season that 2/3 games were over by half time. Awesome problem to have!!!

About 1 of every 3 yards gained is a rushing yard. This is still significant and being able to stop the run is important, especially when an opposing team is ahead and trying to run the clock and in short-yardage situations.

But, here's a scary stat: The Bills have the 30th ranked D in yards allowed per game.

Rex is usually in the Top Ten. And the Bills had the personnel to finish in the Top Five last year.

What's going on?

The Bills offense, in contrast, is #10. Who would have expected that the Bills O would be far ahead of the Bills D in the rankings after three games?

I hate talking about "garbage time", but I think that stat is skewed right now for two reasons.

First and foremost, we played and got lit up by the Patriots.

After that, we blew out our other 2 opponents so badly and so quickly, that we've spent both 2nd halves largely in more of a prevent defense, where we allow catches underneath and make the tackle.

Excuses, excuses. But Im not too worried about it yet.

Stopping the run is almost meaningless in this league. Just be adequate. Stopping the short passing game and getting turnovers are the only measures of a defense - after points allowed of course.

You have to have balance just like anything else. Stopping the run is still paramount to win in the NFL. A successful run game chews up the clock, keeps defenses on the field and wears them down. If you can stop the run and force a team to beat you in the air, you're doing all of the right things. There are more variables with a pass (int, tipped pass, sack, drop, poor throw, fumble).

I see discussion on Giants boards that Eli is great at getting the quick passes out like Brady....therefore NY has a great chance. I say nonsense. Brady is the master and no one else is even close. The Bills D should keep them in check unlike New England.

You have to have balance just like anything else. Stopping the run is still paramount to win in the NFL. A successful run game chews up the clock, keeps defenses on the field and wears them down. If you can stop the run and force a team to beat you in the air, you're doing all of the right things. There are more variables with a pass (int, tipped pass, sack, drop, poor throw, fumble).

Agreed there is a lot more than can go wrong/negative with a pass play. This is why a solid run game is great. Force the other team into the riskier facet of the game while you get yards/points in the safer approach.

To the comment up thread that only Seattle can run the ball, I would point to SF when Roman was there as well as the Cowboys success last year. There are still many teams that use the run effectively. I agree the pass is more important, but dominating the run can have a profound impact.

I think a couple of things:

1. We were up so much in the Colts game that the Colts racked up yards in garbage time. I know it's not an excuse, but it's a reality.

2. The Pats game was an abomination.

3. Much like the Colts, we were up so much on the Dolphins that the passing game for Miami racked up yards in garbage time. Again, not an excuse, but it was a reality yesterday.

This defense is going to continue to get better, statistically. I think aside from the Pats game, the defense has been outstanding overall. Ironically enough, our offense has been so good so far this season that 2/3 games were over by half time. Awesome problem to have!!!

Both offense and defense I'd say have been outstanding in the first half in the two wins They out scored both opponents in their wins 44 to zip in the first half. If only the pats game was different.

In both the Colts and Dolphins game almost all the yards given up were in the final 20-25 minutes of the game with the Bills nursing a big lead managing clock and forcing the offense to put together a long drive to score. When you are 3 scores or more up midway through the third a touchdown drive against you that takes 6 minutes plus is a win for the defense. When you stop em 4 times on the 2 it makes it even better.

The Ravens cannot run the ball this year and are 0-3. That was their bread and butter. Run to setup the Flacco play action down the field for huge plays.

The Bills are doing it right, establishing the run and stopping the run is a proven method of success and a great playoff recipe.

BILLS have scored the 3rd most points in the NFL, only behind the Pats* and the Cardinals. Holy moly. I still remember a week 1 thread critiquing Roman.

:beer::beer:

all your bitching for nothing :nana:

The Cravens cannot run the ball this year and are 0-3. That was their bread and butter. Run to setup the Flacco play action down the field for huge plays.

The Bills are doing it right, establishing the run and stopping the run is a proven method of success and a great playoff recipe.

fixed it for ya.

Man, I bet they wish they still had TT bringing them luck

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The Incognito signing was huge. He really has solidified this line & been a major part of the run game's success. He was #2 rated linemen goimg into today and I dont see that going anywhere but up after his performance today. He has been blowing up holes for the RBs and making life much easier for Glenn and Wood. He had the key block on Williams 41 yard TD.

Bills fans are FINALLY being able to see the benefits of a stud O Lineman! THIS IS WHAT POWERS AN OFFENSE!!!

We need to build our line!!!