Gotta give Belichick Credit

He knew they couldn't run against us, and he didn't even try to - about 60 passes and 10 rushes.

Our corners weren't able to jam up Edelman coming off the line, and we don't have anyone that matches up well against Gronk. He gameplanned to exploit that and succeeded.

Our defensive line was supposed to overmatch the young depleted Patriots line and create lots of pressure, and failed to do so. If you can't get consistent pressure on Brady, you can't win. Belichick had the right blocking schemes and often had the ball coming out of Brady's hand so fast that the pressure never got a chance to develop.

Gotta give Belicheck credit, they had the right gameplan.

His game plan every week is known to anyone who even just skimmed through his dad's book:

Defend their biggest strengths and attack their biggest weaknesses.

So simple and fundamental, yet so overlooked. I had a feeling coming in that the first thing he was going to do was neutralize our interior pass-rush, and he did. Did not expect us to self-destruct with the Brady timing passing game however, although that was naive of me.

I agree. BB does deserve credit. What surprised me most was how well they kept our front four at bay. They made their rookie O-Line look like a bunch of pro-bowlers.

BB has this ability to plug any no-name person in, and somehow the Bills make them look like stars.

I was disappointed in Rex's defensive gameplan, or maybe failure to adjust to BB's. How we got no pressure up the gut is beyond my comprehension. For Marcel to say Brady was getting it out too quickly, and there was "nothing he could do," was a cop-out (but this is a different topic).

I agree. BB does deserve credit. What surprised me most was how well they kept our front four at bay. They made their rookie O-Line look like a bunch of pro-bowlers.

BB has this ability to plug any no-name person in, and somehow the Bills make them look like stars.

I was disappointed in Rex's defensive gameplan, or maybe failure to adjust to BB's. How we got no pressure up the gut is beyond my comprehension. For Marcel to say Brady was getting it out too quickly, and there was "nothing he could do," was a cop-out (but this is a different topic).

Not just that, but it felt like our DEs were paralyzed as soon as they ran into the Patriots OL brick walls. We just could not got any pressure on Brady. I can't wait for the All-22 to come out to see how in the hell that happened for 50+ pass plays.

He knew they couldn't run against us, and he didn't even try to - about 60 passes and 10 rushes.

Our corners weren't able to jam up Edelman coming off the line, and we don't have anyone that matches up well against Gronk. He gameplanned to exploit that and succeeded.

Our defensive line was supposed to overmatch the young depleted Patriots line and create lots of pressure, and failed to do so. If you can't get consistent pressure on Brady, you can't win. Belichick had the right blocking schemes and often had the ball coming out of Brady's hand so fast that the pressure never got a chance to develop.

Yep. Sure does help though having arguably the best QB to ever play the game. Also playing their 1st road game of the year in an extremely hostile environment with a massive chip on all their shoulders from this past off-season.

I'm disappointed, thought we could/would win... but I also think this team will be much improved as the season rolls along, especially the O..

Yep. Sure does help though having arguably the best QB to ever play the game. Also playing their 1st road game of the year in an extremely hostile environment with a massive chip on all their shoulders from this past off-season.

I'm disappointed, thought we could/would win... but I also think this team will be much improved as the season rolls along, especially the O..

Why is this a positive for Brady though? When it's a major negative for everybody else?

Why is this a positive for Brady though? When it's a major negative for everybody else?

Us against the world mentality, + no respect. I think they all elevated their games a few notches as a result, nobody else would've beaten that team today. Bills didn't help matters either, but I give them big props for not giving up.

This is what blows my mind. It's unreal. Not only does he do that, but he turns these players into stars or back into stars. It's just hard for me to wrap my mind around. How the heck does a team dink and dunk 50x in a game successfully? They'll throw those few seam routes and long wheels/fades periodically, but we're talking dink city time and time again.

This is what blows my mind. It's unreal. Not only does he do that, but he turns these players into stars or back into stars. It's just hard for me to wrap my mind around. How the heck does a team dink and dunk 50x in a game successfully? They'll throw those few seam routes and long wheels/fades periodically, but we're talking dink city time and time again.

How does Brady always know where to throw the ball as soon as the ball is snapped?

That's a great question. He's like a soccer goalie that guesses correctly on every penalty shot.

It's almost as if he has access to our........ Nah....

No, of course not. Brady just figured out the defense that stumped Luck after about 4 passing plays.

Out of curiosity, did anybody here watch Brady at Michigan? Did he show his savant level abilities at reading defenses back then?

No, of course not. Brady just figured out the defense that stumped Luck after about 4 passing plays.

Out of curiosity, did anybody here watch Brady at Michigan? Did he show his savant level abilities at reading defenses back then?

Watched plenty of Michigan games w Brady ( we get a lot of big Ten (12 now?) games on tv here. I mostly remember that Mich. had another QB , Drew Henson , that would split time w Brady. I recall thinking that Henson was obviously a superior athlete, but that their O seemed to run better with Brady. Didn't think much of Brady as a pro prospect tho. Seemed pretty average.

The announcers mentioned that the Patriots offensive system has remained the same throughout Brady's career. They changed OC's, but the kept the system. He knows what to do in every situation, and that continuity plays a role. They just continually refine it.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Watched plenty of Michigan games w Brady ( we get a lot of big Ten (12 now?) games on tv here. I mostly remember that Mich. had another QB , Drew Henson , that would split time w Brady. I recall thinking that Henson was obviously a superior athlete, but that their O seemed to run better with Brady. Didn't think much of Brady as a pro prospect tho. Seemed pretty average.

I remember him getting benched in a game against SU.

Back to theme of this thread, BB has always been a great coach and his teams are always incredibly well prepared. Belichick combined with an exceptional quarterback like Brady is poison for the opposition year in and year out. It's easy to find every excuse imaginable for losing to the Pats but it's nothing more than "head in sand" mentality. If you want to beat the Pats be better prepared than they are, play exquisite defense against them, and play 60 minutes under control. The Patriots didn't win this game by deflating the ball and stealing our plays. They were simply better prepared. Man up to it.

Correct Boat, I've actually watched Henson in high school. He was one of the higher rated football and baseball recruits. Played at Brighton high school. Brady was sort of your meh of Michigan, Henson was the elite prospect. I don't think anybody saw this coming with Brady. Not many did with Montana either. Both of which seemed to master the cerebral and both had Hall of Fame coaches.

our corners couldn't jam them when they were 10 yds off, bad game plan on our part

plus they must have cheated, so there's that

I think the Patriots built up a giant chip, and the crowd noise only helped the size of the chip.

I need to look at the film, but I think the crowd noise actually hurt Rex's complex deception-based schemes. I think it hindered communication and led to us not being set or barely set on a number of plays.