NFL rules explained: the pick play

Webster Guy

This might help you guys from freaking out on Sunday when the Cheatriots run their WR pick plays. I always thought they were illegal--and sometimes they are---but there are ways to do it that won't draw the flag and are technically legal.

After reading this article I'm amazed that more teams don't do these on every play. They seem impossible to defend. Expect the cocky punk white midget duo of Amendola and Edelman to do a ton of these Sunday.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/15/new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-afc-championship-game-pick-plays

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. Let's hope the refs actually look for this because the Pats definitely push the envelope. Take a look in the other "Picks" thread at Sal's tweet showing Edelman 6-7 yds off the LOS throwing a shoulder into the crossing CB. These types of plays need to be called against the Pats before they go completely #rogue with rubs. #rubrogue

Great article. Let's hope the refs actually look for this because the Pats definitely push the envelope. Take a look in the other "Picks" thread at Sal's tweet showing Edelman 6-7 yds off the LOS throwing a shoulder into the crossing CB. These types of plays need to be called against the Pats before they go completely #rogue with rubs. #rubrogue

Indeed. The Pats* run more pick/rub plays than any other team, as far as I can tell. Some are clearly legal. Most, I think, are in that zone that makes it tough to tell. And some are clearly illegal (they ran at least one of those against the Steelers).

One of the reasons why the Cheats have been so successful for so long is that they have by their own admission pushed rules and played in grey areas. What they do with these rub routes is often not cheating but in the flow of the game crap like Gronk throwing a leg out to trip or slow down a defender is an example of an action that should be a self limited violation. There is no way that a ref is going to consistently catch that kind of crap.

There does come a point where a team has to decide that they are going to be sportsmanlike in their actions. This is taught in pee-wee leagues but the Cheats* have lived on the idea that this notion does not apply to them.

One of the reasons why the Cheats have been so successful for so long is that they have by their own admission pushed rules and played in grey areas. What they do with these rub routes is often not cheating but in the flow of the game crap like Gronk throwing a leg out to trip or slow down a defender is an example of an action that should be a self limited violation. There is no way that a ref is going to consistently catch that kind of crap.

There does come a point where a team has to decide that they are going to be sportsmanlike in their actions. This is taught in pee-wee leagues but the Cheats* have lived on the idea that this notion does not apply to them.

I agree. The sh*t that Tim Brady and the Pats* try to pull on a weekly basis is bush league

This is whining.

EVERY team has the option to run these plays, and they do. If the Patriots run them more than others, so what? There are plenty of legitimate complaints against the Patriots, but this isn't one of them.

It's not whining so much as an observation: the Pats push that rule to the very limit of what they can get away with, and in no small part because they hope (and know) the officials can't catch them all.

It's not whining so much as an observation: the Pats push that rule to the very limit of what they can get away with, and in no small part because they hope (and know) the officials can't catch them all.

I'm sure Bills lineman push the limits of the rules against holding, and chop blocks, and that Bills DE's push the limit on hands to the face, and DB's push the limit on interference...on and on and on.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I'm sure Bills lineman push the limits of the rules against holding, and chop blocks, and that Bills DE's push the limit on hands to the face, and DB's push the limit on interference...on and on and on.

"But everybody does it!"

Except not everybody sets picks with the hopes of not getting caught.

"But everybody does it!"

Except not everybody sets picks with the hopes of not getting caught.

Maybe, maybe not. But they do all the things I mentioned (and many more!), throughout the league, with hopes of not getting caught....every game.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I'm aware of only one franchise that has instituted procedures that are meant to systematically game the rules of the sport.