Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

Eichel is a entirely different player than McDavid and it should be noted he much stronger bigger,, and very well be more equipped to handle a longer career..

Agree. Eichel could very well be the better player in the post season, where space is at a premium and games are won along the wall.

All of those things will shake themselves out over a long term. Both players have a very high ceiling. It's going to be interesting to see how each develops over time and how they fare in the postseason (at some point both HAVE to get there, right?).

The next two seasons for the Sabres are critical. They need to have two more good drafts and have success in both the free agency and trade markets. They're not far from contending and they have the right structure in place to do it.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zu1od2Tt_200x200.jpgVS. hb9K6ARm_200x200.jpg

cut.jpg

FLAMES (26-33-4) at SABRES (25-31-8)

THU MAR 3, 2016 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B/SN360

NHL.com Game Preview: Flames aim to end skid against Sabres - Calgary 1-8-1 in past 10 games

Season series: The Calgary Flames defeated the Buffalo Sabres 4-3 at Scotiabank Saddledome on Dec. 10. Sean Monahan scored twice and set up Johnny Gaudreau for the game-winning goal with 4:34 remaining. Rasmus Ristolainen scored a hat trick for the Sabres.

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 274)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clot, Oct. 8; injured reserve) – 64 games
Tyler Ennis (upper body, Dec. 31; injured reserve) – 27 games
Cody Franson (neck, Feb. 21) – 5 games
Ryan O’Reilly (lower body, Feb. 21; injured reserve) – 5 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/27: Acquired F Alex Guptill, F Eric O’Dell, F Cole Schneider and D Michael Sdao from Ottawa in exchange for F Jason Akeson, F Philip Varone and D Jerome Leduc
2/29: Acquired a conditional third-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft from Anaheim in exchange for F Jamie McGinn; Assigned F Justin Bailey and F Cal O’Reilly to Rochester (AHL); Recalled F Daniel Catenacci and F Cal O’Reilly from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, March 5: Minnesota at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Monday, March 7: Buffalo at Toronto, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, March 8: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 10: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 12: Carolina at Buffalo, 1 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

FLAMES at SABRES
This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Flames this season.
Last meeting: Calgary defeated Buffalo, 4-3, in Calgary on Dec. 10
The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Flames; 9-0-1 at home.
This is the 103rd game all-time between Buffalo and Calgary/Atlanta; Buffalo has a 49-36-17 series record.
The Sabres are 31-13-6 at home against the Flames all-time.

Morning Skate: March 3, 2016 at 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM - First Niagara Center

@BuffaloSabres

CclRhLHXIAAJXZZ.jpg
CclRhVaWwAAXbAY.jpg
CclRg2FWoAAKUsj.jpg

Coach Bylsma discusses last night's game & looks ahead following practice today: http://bufsabres.co/5ZEl4V

CclRukiW4AACIlr.jpg

Breathe a sigh of relief. Jake McCabe is fine. 1f3a5.png Sabres in :90 - http://bufsabres.co/wTeUe2

CclUsG3WwAErYE-.jpg

Agree. Eichel could very well be the better player in the post season, where space is at a premium and games are won along the wall.

All of those things will shake themselves out over a long term. Both players have a very high ceiling. It's going to be interesting to see how each develops over time and how they fare in the postseason (at some point both HAVE to get there, right?).

The next two seasons for the Sabres are critical. They need to have two more good drafts and have success in both the free agency and trade markets. They're not far from contending and they have the right structure in place to do it.

I'll admit I overreacted to the McEichel game the other night because I was just like "really?" but the Sabres absolutely must contend for the playoffs next season. It looks like Lehner is legit, Ocho is a decent backup, and they have a lot of pieces in place. GMTM has a lot of draft picks to work with to fill in the gaps, and the way they're finishing they'll have a shot at a really good prospect as well.

Anything less than a 90+ pt. season next year will be very bad news...

I'll admit I overreacted to the McEichel game the other night because I was just like "really?" but the Sabres absolutely must contend for the playoffs next season. It looks like Lehner is legit, Ocho is a decent backup, and they have a lot of pieces in place. GMTM has a lot of draft picks to work with to fill in the gaps, and the way they're finishing they'll have a shot at a really good prospect as well.

Do you know how their cap space is?

Do you know how their cap space is?

They are fine next year...even with Stamkos :flirt::lol:

Seriously, they have a ton of room next year, they need to planning for two-4 years out as Sam, Jack, Kane, Risto, McCabe, Gus all come due for new deals. Stamkos means prolly 3 of those 6 need to go..Kane prolly being top o list.

Edited by plenzmd1

It's going to be Lehner and Ullmark down the line. We're fine between the pipes. We need a LHD to pair with Risto and a talented top six that can take advantage of Eichel's superior skills. Bailey is already up. Next year, add Fasching -- sign him first! Maybe Baptiste makes the leap. GMTM, as you note, has the ammo to get some players. I think Stamkos will cost too much, but who knows? Anyway, I expect to contend for the playoffs next year and be a Cup contender in two to three years.

Oh, and it would be nice if the hockey gods let us win the draft lottery. No matter, we should get a nice player at the top of the draft.

Hey, Bettman, the draft is in Buffalo this year. That means, enough Edmonton #1s overall already . . .

Edited by Dr. Who

It's going to be Lehner and Ullmark down the line. We're fine between the pipes. We need a LHD to pair with Risto and a talented top six that can take advantage of Eichel's superior skills. Bailey is already up. Next year, add Fasching -- sign him first! Maybe Baptiste makes the leap. GMTM, as you note, has the ammo to get some players. I think Stamkos will cost too much, but who knows? Anyway, I expect to contend for the playoffs next year and be a Cup contender in two to three years.

Oh, and it would be nice if the hockey gods let us win the draft lottery. No matter, we should get a nice player at the top of the draft.

Hey, Bettman, the draft is in Buffalo this year. That means, enough Edmonton #1s overall already . . .

Bailey is back with the Amerks to further develop his game. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Fasching at the end of his Minnesota Gophers' season this year and get a taste of the NHL as the year winds down. In addition to getting an excellent prospect, GMTM should be able to swing deals for good players at the draft because there will be several teams up against a flat salary cap with no ability to sign pending RFAs.

Bailey is back with the Amerks to further develop his game. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Fasching at the end of his Minnesota Gophers' season this year and get a taste of the NHL as the year winds down. In addition to getting an excellent prospect, GMTM should be able to swing deals for good players at the draft because there will be several teams up against a flat salary cap with no ability to sign pending RFAs.

I am really looking forward to seeing what GMTM does this off-season. Didn't know Bailey was back with the Amerks. I live in Atlanta, so it's hard to keep current.

They are fine next year...even with Stamkos :flirt::lol:

Seriously, they have a ton of room next year, they need to planning for two-4 years out as Sam, Jack, Kane, Risto, McCabe, Gus all come due for new deals. Stamkos means prolly 3 of those 6 need to go..Kane prolly being top o list.

Wouldn't Stamkos be something? Next to Joe Thorton he is my favorite player in the league. I just can't see TB letting that guy go. He is the franchise there.

Wouldn't Stamkos be something? Next to Joe Thorton he is my favorite player in the league. I just can't see TB letting that guy go. He is the franchise there.

He is as good as gone. From the sounds of it the 2 most frequently teams linked to be his next landing spot are, Toronto and buffalo. Take that for what it's worth.

He is as good as gone. From the sounds of it the 2 most frequently teams linked to be his next landing spot are, Toronto and buffalo. Take that for what it's worth.

Please not Toronto. Come to San Jose Steve! He probably can't stand the harsh winters now after living in Tampa.

@JoeYerdon

Johnny Gaudreau has a new set of linemates when the Flames face the Sabres tonight. #CGYvsBUF https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-sabres-preview/c-279307088?tid=279243490

Here are the projected lineups:

FLAMES
Johnny Gaudreau - Sam Bennett - Michael Frolik
Micheal Ferland - Sean Monahan - Joe Colborne
Lance Bouma - Mikael Backlund - Garnet Hathaway
Brandon Bollig - Matt Stajan - Josh Jooris

Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie
Deryk Engelland - Dougie Hamilton
Jyrki Jokipakka - Jakub Nakladal

Jonas Hiller
Joni Ortio

Injured: Ladislav Smid (upper body), Karri Ramo (torn ACL)

Scratched: Niklas Backstrom

SABRES
Evander Kane - Jack Eichel - Sam Reinhart
Marcus Foligno - Johan Larsson - Brian Gionta
Daniel Catenacci - Cal O'Reilly - Zemgus Girgensons
Nicolas Deslauriers - David Legwand - Matt Moulson

Josh Gorges - Rasmus Ristolainen
Jake McCabe - Zach Bogosian
Carlo Colaiacovo - Mark Pysyk

Robin Lehner
Chad Johnson

Injured: Cody Franson (neck), Ryan O'Reilly (right foot), Tyler Ennis (concussion), Cody McCormick (blood clot)

Scratched: None

Status report: Hartley said they haven't targeted a date when Backstrom might make his Flames debut. He was acquired from the Minnesota Wild on Monday in exchange for David Jones.

Who's hot: Frolik has a two-game point streak with a goal and an assist. … Lehner has made 100 saves on 105 shots he's faced in his past three starts.

3-3: SABRES' GM TIM MURRAY ON WGR (24:36)

Sabres GM Tim Murray joins Bulldog and Sal NEXT on WGR.

MURRAY: "I never thought that people would have lower expectations than me." Regarding caller comparing Eichel to Jody Gage.

MURRAY: "Thought that McGinn would be somewhat happy going to Anaheim. Try to keep that in mind when moving players at the deadline."

MURRAY: "Mike [Weber] gets to a great Eastern Conference team, and Jamie [McGinn] gets to a great Western Conference team."

MURRAY: "Jamie's agent called our Assistant GM after the trade, and said that he is his new favorite AGM."

MURRAY: "He [McGinn] knows that we have interest in him going forward. We wish him the best of luck, but things change every day."

MURRAY: "At some point the pick is not enough or is too far out."

MURRAY: "There's lots of good stuff happening. We're better, we're closer to where we want to be, but we're not there yet."

MURRAY: "Not having Robin for the 1st half of the year was tough. You look at his numbers now, we have a goaltender who keeps us in games."

MURRAY: "I'm the guy who traded a 1st round pick for Lehner. So I believe in him, in his size, I have long term high expectations for him."

MURRAY: "Dan's coach of the team, he's got great assistants, and when I do bark about something I don't like we have an interaction."

MURRAY: "My gut feeling is that Jack's winger isn't on this team yet. We're looking to add talent."

MURRAY: "We've seen that past few years that good players have had to move to different teams due to cap problems with that team."

MURRAY: "We find ourselves in a good position with the cap and draft picks to be in a position to move for some of those players."

MURRAY: "He [Ennis] wants to come back, it looks like he may be able to come back, and barring any setbacks I expect to see him back."

MURRAY: "Moulson is taking this serious, he doesn't want to go away. I'll say slumping for sure. The long term goal is to have him better."

MURRAY: "I expect to see a different and more competitive Matt Moulson next season."

MURRAY: "We expressed our desires for him [Fasching]. We'd like to get him here as quick as possible. Until that gets done you never know."