WEEK 1 - All 22 Film Review - OLine/ Unforced Error Look

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did / How

Tyrod did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS - 21 Snaps ( definitely run first game plan today)

LINE BREAKDOWNS 5 out of 21 snaps ( poor protection on 24% of pass plays.. ).. This is not a good percentage.

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 16 out of 21 snaps ( time to throw on 76% of pass plays). A lot of screen plays and short passes help this number.. although the OL had good protection on a handful of deep throws.

UNFORCED TYROD ERRORS: - 3 out of 21 snaps ( Tryod made mistakes on 14% of pass plays)

Bottom Line:

NOT BAD BUT MUCH ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: The Colts were throwing a lot of stunts at John Miller and Eric Wood and neither lineman handled it very well. I think if John Miller learns to kind of sit and stay home and let the play come to him he will be able to overcome picking the wrong guy when a stunt occurs. Either that or Wood is not picking things up. The RBs also had a few shaky moments in picking up blitzes as well.. but some of their troubles may have been exaggerated due to the OL failing at their jobs. Taylor did an excellent job of using his feet to get out of trouble. I didn't really see any plays where he bailed too early. He had a few unforced errors but none of them were catastrophic..In general he looked calm and collected. Great to see him stand tough in the pocket in Q3, take a good hit and deliver a strike to Woods. His only obvious gaffe was a fumble of a clean shotgun snap in Q4.

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1: 8:44 - Eric Wood misses blitz pressure up the middle and Tyrod scrambles for 1 yard

Q1: 4:57 - Henderson doesn't pick up stunt correctly and #50 beats him to the inside, Tyrod throws it away

Q1: :09 - Clean pocket, Colts only rush 4, Tyrod bomb to Harvin for TD

Q2 2:00 - Miller doesn't pick up blitz, Colts blow up play action and Tyrod scrambles to avoid sack

Q2 1:19 - Miller gets beat to the inside, Tyrod scrambles for long run

Q3 12:45 - McCoy whiffs on blitz pickup and Tyrod gets hit while he throws.. stands tough in the pocket and completes to Woods

Q4 - UNFORCED ERROR - Tyrod fumbles a good shotgun snap but recovers it

Q4 10:52 UNFORCED ERROR - Good protection, coverage is good, Tyrod forces sideline pass to Sammy that is almost picked off.. ( should have thrown it away)

Q4: 8:24 UNFORCED ERROR - Good protection, Tyrod overthrows Watkins on deep sideline route

__________ __________

SUMMARY - Not bad for the first outing. Glenn and Incognito looked very sharp on the left side.. Wood, Miller and Henderson a little shaky on the right. Tyrod will most likely cover up a lot of the missed protections. The Bills are going to need to establish the run a little more if they want to keep taking deep shots. Expect the Patriots to throw more stunts and odd looks at Miller, Wood and Henderson.

other notes after All-22 review:

• Gilmore - most impressive coverage I've seen from him, hands down
  • entire Bills secondary - excellent tackling after catches, limited Colts YAC immensely. Must have been a point of emphasis under Thurman in TC b/c I seem to remember this as an area of weakness from the Bills D
  • Mario Butler - solid backup CB, one pass breakup led directly to INT by AW. So glad Butler stuck w/ team
  • Sammy - was WIDE OPEN, as in left alone down the left sideline, on Harvin's TD catch.
  • P Brown - colossal hit on Gore, which elicited a "whoo" from Solomon in the background. This guy is a MIKE.
  • On the TD run by Karlos, great downfield block by Sammy on the Colts CB - allowed KW to rumble through to endzone
  • Unrelated to All-22 review: Solomon may have set the record for use of some form of "getting to the 2nd level"... :doh: Impressed by Dedes & Wilcots overall, though. They are better than they have been and seem to be improving.

Thanks for contributing this again...always a good read.

Looking forward to seeing if the OL can clean up the miscues, as it looked more like miscommunication than getting beat at the POA, so here's hoping.

My pleasure..

I would say that the problems did seem to be more communication/assignment related than physically related. I didn't really see anyone get pushed around or abused physically.

I am not going to beat this drum like it's a campaign but I watched Miller a lot in the first quarter because I was curious what I would see. I saw him get very little help. I saw Wood slide to help Incognito often time for no reason. Miller had a decent game overall, he just needed help and I am not sure why Wood was not helping him. Wood was left untouched many times.

I told GG and Heitz during the game that Wood was missing on stunts. One stunt was just miserable. Hendersons man twists on a delay and goes right at Wood who lost his balanced and was quickly beat. Henderson helped Miller at that point.

Also liked how they were stacking the WR's.

• entire Bills secondary - excellent tackling after catches, limited Colts YAC immensely. Must have been a point of emphasis under Thurman in TC b/c I seem to remember this as an area of weakness from the Bills D
  • Mario Butler - solid backup CB, one pass breakup led directly to INT by AW. So glad Butler stuck w/ team
  • Sammy - was WIDE OPEN, as in left alone down the left sideline, on Harvin's TD catch.
  • P Brown - colossal hit on Gore, which elicited a "whoo" from Solomon in the background. This guy is a MIKE.
  • On the TD run by Karlos, great downfield block by Sammy on the Colts CB - allowed KW to rumble through to endzone
  • Unrelated to All-22 review: Solomon may have set the record for use of some form of "getting to the 2nd level"... :doh: Impressed by Dedes & Wilcots overall, though. They are better than they have been and seem to be improving.

The pass where Harvin caught the TD was talked about after the game quite a bit. Roman saw how they were covering Harvin and knew they were leaving Watkins alone. He knew he would have Harvin with on the deep route and told them to hit Harvin. That was designed perfectly. It'd have been nice to hit Watkins but we got a TD so I am good.

Q4 10:52 UNFORCED ERROR - Good protection, coverage is good, Tyrod forces sideline pass to Sammy that is almost picked off.. ( should have thrown it away)

As always, thanks for the write-up. This play really stuck out to me as scary. Really bad decision for this point in the game (with the lead, with Indy scrambling for points). The defender should have had the INT and there was a good shot at a pick 6. Bad throws happen, but that was a horrible decision by Taylor.

As always, thanks for the write-up. This play really stuck out to me as scary. Really bad decision for this point in the game (with the lead, with Indy scrambling for points). The defender should have had the INT and there was a good shot at a pick 6. Bad throws happen, but that was a horrible decision by Taylor.

Kind of scary that all of his unforced errors were in Q4... hopefully not a trend

Thanks, good read...any feel for how the line compared to last year? Picking up stunts was our 2014 Achilles heel

Hoping someone will take on the run plays

I'm wondering if Sammy and Taylor haven't "clicked" yet. Hopefully they're still putting in the extra work and it will happen with time.

Edited by Hopeful

Kind of scary that all of his unforced errors were in Q4... hopefully not a trend

I don't see the other two errors as being as big of a problem. Just like bad throws, fumbled snaps happen and his talent actually ended up making it a positive play. The overthrow to Watkins, while disappointing, can be viewed as ensuring that if Sammy couldn't get to it, nobody else could either. I'd rather see an overthrow than an underthrow or even a good throw that allows a CB to make an amazing play. All in all, he probably just missed without all the extra thought I'm applying to the situation, but at least it's possible.

Bad decision, but he riffled that thing with so much zip I don't know if anyone was catching it. Man what a cannon. yeah let's not have any more of that unless it's a safer throw but damn... Rocket

I'm wondering if Sammy and Taylor haven't "clicked" yet. Hopefully they're still putting in the extra work and it will happen with time.

Wouldn't surprise me, what with Sammy missing nearly the entire preseason. Though, to be honest, those two forced passes to Sammy looked a lot more like Tyrod was trying to get him onto the stat sheet.

He really wasn't. He was in the sweet spot between the corner and safety in a cover 2 the Colts were playing to his side of the field. On Harvin's side the safety was cheating up to help on Clay. That's what left Harvin singled and was why Taylor (correctly) chose him.

When Taylor started his throwing motion, the safety who was responsible for helping on Watkins took off towards Harvin. Taylor could have fit a ball in to Sammy on the play for a long gain but it would have been the wrong decision and would have required an almost perfect throw.

This falls under "nice problem to have."

Thanks, good read...any feel for how the line compared to last year? Picking up stunts was our 2014 Achilles heel

Hoping someone will take on the run plays

Again I only watched pass plays ( it's too hard to evaluate run game blocking).. so in regards to pass protection... Glenn may have had a few penalties but he looked physically solid. Incognito appears to be an upgrade over Urbik. Wood still looks very shaky like he did last year. Miller appears to be a physical upgrade over Pears but he is making some of the same mental mistakes on stunts as Pears did last year. Henderson looks to be about the same as last year.. he never really dominates but generally does just enough to get by.

Thanks for the great write-up.

It makes me nervous that Wood looked as bad as he did (your observations are consistent with what I saw on Sunday) after a full offseason of renewed focus in a better scheme, with better coaching, and with more capable guards next to him. Eric Wood might be done.

Yeah.. Wood really needs to step it up. He's a great interview and a great guy .. but his film has consistently looked bad the last few years.

I don't see the other two errors as being as big of a problem. Just like bad throws, fumbled snaps happen and his talent actually ended up making it a positive play. The overthrow to Watkins, while disappointing, can be viewed as ensuring that if Sammy couldn't get to it, nobody else could either. I'd rather see an overthrow than an underthrow or even a good throw that allows a CB to make an amazing play. All in all, he probably just missed without all the extra thought I'm applying to the situation, but at least it's possible.

Yeah.. the deep throw he missed on Watkins was not a bad decision.. and if you are going to miss you should miss long. Nevertheless, I had to chalk it up as an unforced error as he had plenty of time to throw on that play and Watkins had a step.

I do like that they were being aggressive there on the bomb late in the game.

And yes he did recover nicely with the fumble.. nevertheless.. the snap was perfect.

He really wasn't. He was in the sweet spot between the corner and safety in a cover 2 the Colts were playing to his side of the field. On Harvin's side the safety was cheating up to help on Clay. That's what left Harvin singled and was why Taylor (correctly) chose him.

When Taylor started his throwing motion, the safety who was responsible for helping on Watkins took off towards Harvin. Taylor could have fit a ball in to Sammy on the play for a long gain but it would have been the wrong decision and would have required an almost perfect throw.

This falls under "nice problem to have."

no to nitpick, but you need to re-watch carefully; he really WAS wide open. The ball was snapped at the Bills 49 and the Colts CB chucked Sammy at the LOS, then immediately peeled off Sammy at the Colts 41; and this was before TT's throwing motion started. That CB literally drifted off into the middle of field into some kind of zone, and looked like was out picking daisies. The safety in the Colts cover 2 ran to his left and back toward Harvin's side of the field at the Colts 25. If TT had even glanced at Sammy's side of the field, he would have seen #14 wide open.

Agree to disagree, but you're right, it's a nice problem to have.

I

Also liked how they were stacking the WR's.

The pass where Harvin caught the TD was talked about after the game quite a bit. Roman saw how they were covering Harvin and knew they were leaving Watkins alone. He knew he would have Harvin with on the deep route and told them to hit Harvin. That was designed perfectly. It'd have been nice to hit Watkins but we got a TD so I am good.

Do you mean covering Watkins, and leaving Harvin alone?

no to nitpick, but you need to re-watch carefully; he really WAS wide open. The ball was snapped at the Bills 49 and the Colts CB chucked Sammy at the LOS, then immediately peeled off Sammy at the Colts 41; and this was before TT's throwing motion started. That CB literally drifted off into the middle of field into some kind of zone, and looked like was out picking daisies. The safety in the Colts cover 2 ran to his left and back toward Harvin's side of the field at the Colts 25. If TT had even glanced at Sammy's side of the field, he would have seen #14 wide open.

Agree to disagree, but you're right, it's a nice problem to have.

Just watched it on the All-22. No offense, but it looked to me as if the deep safety had coverage on Sammy. He was certainly close enough to get to him if the ball was thrown that way. A good problem to have in any case.

Just watched it on the All-22. No offense, but it looked to me as if the deep safety had coverage on Sammy. He was certainly close enough to get to him if the ball was thrown that way. A good problem to have in any case.

You are correct sir. Safety was shading to Sammy. If the ball goes to him, even if he makes the catch, it's not a TD because the safety would have the coverage before the endzone. The safety was obviously too far from Harvin to make a play.

Jeremy White's All-22 has the vine of the play for all to see

• Unrelated to All-22 review: Solomon may have set the record for use of some form of "getting to the 2nd level"... :doh: Impressed by Dedes & Wilcots overall, though. They are better than they have been and seem to be improving

He wasn't wide open. The safety was on the numbers providing help to the CB on the play. However what was awesome about that play was that Tyrod started his throw when Harvin was at about the 32 yard line!

Edited by nkreed