8th grader charged with assault for kissing classmate...

\GoBillsInDallas/

Assault seems a bit excessive. But by 8th grade one should know they can't just walk up to someone and kiss them. Not worth charges, but detention and some serious scolding, IMO.

Assault seems a bit excessive. But by 8th grade one should know they can't just walk up to someone and kiss them. Not worth charges, but detention and some serious scolding, IMO.

Exactly... BUT they are in grade 8!

I didn't read the story. Was the kiss asked for or done without approval? Grade 8 is 13-14 year olds, not cute 6 year olds. What age does sexual harrassment begin?

Just read it. One opinion:

"After reading some comments from teachers, my opinion changed on this. Originally I was like this is so ridiculous, but then someone made a great point. They said that for the police to be called, more than likely something else was going on. IE this young man had been routinely bullying this one girl and this was a final straw moment. When my sister was in high school she had to get a restraining order on a guy who routinely bullied her and harrassed her. My gut says this wasn't just an innocent one time dare kind of thing, but that this young woman is the butt of many jokes and bullied often and it's now escalated to a point of unwanted physical contact and the parents had enough. That's the only case I can make for this situation. 8th grade sounds young, but 14 going on 15 isn't that 10 year old mentality anymore. I knew plenty of kids who were in 9th grade having sex when I was in high school. Kids that age understand bounaries. There's more to this story that isn't being reported. Guaranteed."

Lost in this absurdity is how much police and court time is wasted on a harmless kid's prank. Should the kid be disciplined by his parents and the school? Sure, but there is no good reason for any more action than this.

Pretty much was my point. But, if, as EiI suggests, there is more to the story here (bullying, stalking, etc) I might reconsider. Too many times these things aren't properly addressed, and then something terrible happens. Everyone's reaction? "Why didn't they do something about this earlier?"

Pretty much was my point. But, if, as EiI suggests, there is more to the story here (bullying, stalking, etc) I might reconsider. Too many times these things aren't properly addressed, and then something terrible happens. Everyone's reaction? "Why didn't they do something about this earlier?"

I could not agree with you more.

Exactly... BUT they are in grade 8!

I didn't read the story. Was the kiss asked for or done without approval? Grade 8 is 13-14 year olds, not cute 6 year olds. What age does sexual harrassment begin?

Just read it. One opinion:

"After reading some comments from teachers, my opinion changed on this. Originally I was like this is so ridiculous, but then someone made a great point. They said that for the police to be called, more than likely something else was going on. IE this young man had been routinely bullying this one girl and this was a final straw moment. When my sister was in high school she had to get a restraining order on a guy who routinely bullied her and harrassed her. My gut says this wasn't just an innocent one time dare kind of thing, but that this young woman is the butt of many jokes and bullied often and it's now escalated to a point of unwanted physical contact and the parents had enough. That's the only case I can make for this situation. 8th grade sounds young, but 14 going on 15 isn't that 10 year old mentality anymore. I knew plenty of kids who were in 9th grade having sex when I was in high school. Kids that age understand bounaries. There's more to this story that isn't being reported. Guaranteed."

Just so I'm clear ... you still think the thugs who assaulted the ref shouldn't be charged, right?

Just so I'm clear ... you still think the thugs who assaulted the ref shouldn't be charged, right?

Yes. And either should this teen for assault. Don't let the players play and keep this teen away by sending him to another school. Done! No need to get the quagmire of the legal system involved... Just yet that is. :rolleyes:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yes. And either should this teen for assault. Don't let the players play and keep this teen away by sending him to another school. Done! No need to get the quagmire of the legal system involved... Just yet that is. :rolleyes:

This kid should be suspended; not sent to another school. You don't expel a kid for kissing someone. You wouldn't even expel a kid for punching someone in a fight.

The football players should be arrested.