Perhaps OT? Timmy Graham's Twitter Pillow Fight

eball

I am still a little surprised. It was a salary dump for sure though.

I think the roster is closer to just the best 47 than the best 53. I think there are 2-3 spots that remain very fluid.

To me, I'd like to see all stops pulled out to win this year.

When you don't have a franchise QB you have small windows to compete between roster turnover.

IMO with the exception of bad QB play they have had playoff caliber talent on this team for the past 3 seasons.

This roster is likely to be thinned over the next few seasons so unless TT or EJ is ready to become a top 10 QB then there is no time like the present.

The combination of being year 1 of the Rex regime....when his message is freshest and while there is residual discipline left over from the Marrone regime........ PLUS being in year 6 of the Buddy Nix re-build makes this the best time to make noise in January.

Agree with all of that. I thoroughly expect one extension to be announced before the season which may not have been possible without the release. And I definitely see about three new guys on the roster by next Sunday.

You may know this. I would think that an extension deal with Dareus or Bradham would have to made before the season starts to take advantage of the money from the Cassel release. Once the season starts I don't think you could rip up the contract for this year and start over. We are not in danger of going over the salary cap but the money available for this season is important in the overall deal. That's a main issue with the Cassel release. I don't really think it matters to them that they spend up to the cap. The money saved is targeted for an extension. But I don't think it helps if it's not done before the season starts. hence the reports today about Dareus and Bradham.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to think TG is a bit of a douche because of the way he stormed out of here, his ridiculous refusal to say the Redskins name, and some stories I've heard about his Twitter behavior, but I think he's better at his job than most give him credit for. Being a douche bag doesn't preclude one from being a decent sports writer.

Agree with all of that. I thoroughly expect one extension to be announced before the season which may not have been possible without the release. And I definitely see about three new guys on the roster by next Sunday.

You may know this. I would think that an extension deal with Dareus or Bradham would have to made before the season starts to take advantage of the money from the Cassel release. Once the season starts I don't think you could rip up the contract for this year and start over. We are not in danger of going over the salary cap but the money available for this season is important in the overall deal. That's a main issue with the Cassel release. I don't really think it matters to them that they spend up to the cap. The money saved is targeted for an extension. But I don't think it helps if it's not done before the season starts. hence the reports today about Dareus and Bradham.

I like Bradham a lot but if they had to make roster cuts to extend him it only adds to the cost of the McCoy deal. Alonso was supposed to make Bradham expendable and help allow them to focus that money elsewhere. They were far too casual in dealing him that way, IMO. Have you seen some of the $ numbers these ILB's are getting?

What in hell are you talking about? Properly framed and sourced, a journalist can report what a source tells him/her. As long as they are careful about how they report it. I think it's pretty clear, TG was extremely cavalier about a very inflammatory accusation.

I'm talking about Wawrow, what are you talking about?

Had a great day, thanks.

Unfortunately I have seen far too much of you attacking Bills fans who have a legitimately backed, negative take on bad football on this site, and in turn discouraging football conversation, over the years.

Despite what you may think, the average Bills fan doesn't get outraged at this Tim Graham stuff.

Extremists do and they call in to talk shows and start threads on TSW about this stuff. You create content for them with your anger but it just discourages discussion here.

You are one of the reasons that people like Lori no longer contribute here.

No game for the game, just hate for takes you perceive as negative.

I look forward to an era of winning football that puts the fan haters on this site out of business. :thumbsup:

Amen. :beer:

It is sad, because I have really enjoyed TG's human interest stories (like the Talley Article). And I am sure he is a good guy in real life. He comes off as a nice guy on TV. On the internet though.. he has just a very annoying personality. Very defensive, petty, argumentative, and he does it so much I really think enjoys the contraversy of fighting with people online.

And besides that, I really think his "sources" are pretty much dried up compared to what other reporters have. JW, Rodak, carucci all seem to have much better sources based on their recent track record. Even national members of the media have much better sources than him, and that is more sad since he should have an advantage by being in the area.

the 2 sources that used the word "rogue" with him were obviously not good sources. They were either flat out wrong or they had an agenda to throw Whaley under a bus. TG should have just admitted his sources screwed up instead of trying t o twist it that he didn't mean "rogue" to mean what people generally think it means by its definition.

It is sad, because his human interest stories are wonderful and I am glad he is doing more of them. But his reporting and online behavior is really damaging his reputation with his readers and it will hold him back from reaching his full potential

It is sad, because I have really enjoyed TG's human interest stories (like the Talley Article). And I am sure he is a good guy in real life. He comes off as a nice guy on TV. On the internet though.. he has just a very annoying personality. Very defensive, petty, argumentative, and he does it so much I really think enjoys the contraversy of fighting with people online.

And besides that, I really think his "sources" are pretty much dried up compared to what other reporters have. JW, Rodak, carucci all seem to have much better sources based on their recent track record. Even national members of the media have much better sources than him, and that is more sad since he should have an advantage by being in the area.

the 2 sources that used the word "rogue" with him were obviously not good sources. They were either flat out wrong or they had an agenda to throw Whaley under a bus. TG should have just admitted his sources screwed up instead of trying t o twist it that he didn't mean "rogue" to mean what people generally think it means by its definition.

It is sad, because his human interest stories are wonderful and I am glad he is doing more of them. But his reporting and online behavior is really damaging his reputation with his readers and it will hold him back from reaching his full potential

There are 3 ways that you can deal with internet haters:

1)Not respond

2) Respond with the standard "agree to disagree" type response

3)...or have fun with them if they are being dix.

It's funny watching people act out like they've been physically assaulted over hearing a football opinion they don't agree with.......and then get all cryptic about how his family must be ashamed or......well, how sad it is......or something ridiculous like that. :lol:

1)Not respond

It's funny watching people act out like they've been physically assaulted over hearing a football opinion they don't agree with.......and then get all cryptic about how his family must be ashamed or......well, how sad it is......or something ridiculous like that. :lol:

I'd say most people have those options. But a journalist, who uses social media as an outlet for his/her job, should be a bit more judicious with how they use that outlet. Even professional athletes are finding their social media rants come back to haunt them, and they have zero professional responsibility to be decent, fair and able to communicate in a professional manner. But their employers are protective of the company image and take it seriously when their employees damage it with poorly thought out rants. Tim has the dual responsibility of being a journalist (who uses that very media as a professional outlet) and the reputation of his employer.

Perhaps Tim should have a professional persona, and one where he can be dickish with haters. But should he respond with his "work" persona, he should either take your option #1 or, better yet, have an intelligent dialogue with his critics---in the cases where that is possible. I admit it may not be for some---then he should resort to option #1. And, you know, it would't be the worst thing for Tim to, perhaps, admit he made a mistake in this instance. A little humility can go a long way.

1)Not respond

I am not sure what your post has to do with what I wrote? Except for the part at the end about "how sad it is" commentary. I have nothing "Cryptic" to say about how is family must be ashamed of him or whatever. If he has family, I am sure they care very much for him and I highly doubt his reporting or work has any negative side effects. I sure it is the opposite and they are very proud of him.

when I said it was "sad" I was referring to the disappointment I personally feel in seeing a reporter I generally like take part in petty arguments with his media peers and deliver reports from questionable sources.

I never said I hated the guy or thought his family should be ashamed of him, so I have no clue where you pulled that from. I was simply pointing out why I like him and criticizing what I consider flaws. And all humans have flaws, so just because I feel he insnt perfect I don't hate the guy or (your words now) "something ridiculous like that"

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I'd say most people have those options. But a journalist, who uses social media as an outlet for his/her job, should be a bit more judicious with how they use that outlet. Even professional athletes are finding their social media rants come back to haunt them, and they have zero professional responsibility to be decent, fair and able to communicate in a professional manner. But their employers are protective of the company image and take it seriously when their employees damage it with poorly thought out rants. Tim has the dual responsibility of being a journalist (who uses that very media as a professional outlet) and the reputation of his employer.

Perhaps Tim should have a professional persona, and one where he can be dickish with haters. But should he respond with his "work" persona, he should either take your option #1 or, better yet, have an intelligent dialogue with his critics---in the cases where that is possible. I admit it may not be for some---then he should resort to option #1. And, you know, it would't be the worst thing for Tim to, perhaps, admit he made a mistake in this instance. A little humility can go a long way.

This is an interesting point. And a gray area. On Twitter, TG is TG, not an employee of the News. His views are not to be considered the BuffNews point of view. Surely, the News and TG's bosses at the News are aware of this phenomenon but they really may not care. They may consider this good the way the News considers Jerry Sullivan great at his job. I asked a Bills beat writer about this very topic a couple years ago and he said that his bosses never tell him what he can and cannot say on Twitter. But he is not as combative as TG.

Looking at it from a POV of a News editor and business, they very well may love the fact that TG gets people into fights and arguing with him because it's good for readership and they get to stay a little bit in the background and not get the abuse or blame, only he does.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

It wasn't a mistake. :lol:

Do Stephen A or Skip apologize every time they offend someone? Not comparing him to them directly but as an example that not all successful media members have the same role. TG has a role and he plays it accordingly.

Not easy selling newspapers nowadays......but believe it or not a ton of people in Buffalo still get a lot of their Bills news from TBN and Graham does a nice job of keeping interest in his stories within the parameters he is given.

A lot of people who can afford those lower bowl or club seats are actually pretty wrapped up in their jobs and don't spend a lot of time analyzing the minutia like a lot of us do.

This is an interesting point. And a gray area. On Twitter, TG is TG, not an employee of the News. His views are not to be considered the BuffNews point of view. Surely, the News and TG's bosses at the News are aware of this phenomenon but they really may not care. They may consider this good the way the News considers Jerry Sullivan great at his job. I asked a Bills beat writer about this very topic a couple years ago and he said that his bosses never tell him what he can and cannot say on Twitter. But he is not as combative as TG.

Looking at it from a POV of a News editor and business, they very well may love the fact that TG gets people into fights and arguing with him because it's good for readership and they get to stay a little bit in the background and not get the abuse or blame, only he does.

You may be right about what his editors let him get away with, in the interest of pumping up readership. But if he uses Twitter to "report news" it is an outlet for his news reporting. Just wait until one time his combative tweets turns ugly, and a bit more controversial than whether Whaley went "rogue". His editors will dissociate from him faster than you can tweet "LOL". It's never a good idea to get too sloppy with something associated with your professional identity.

If JW gets a bit faced and has some fun on PPP, it is clearly him as an individual, completely not connected to any professional output. What Timmy does on Twitter, is not.

Do Stephen A or Skip apologize every time they offend someone? Not comparing him to them directly but as an example that not all successful media members have the same role. TG has a role and he plays it accordingly.

Not easy selling newspapers nowadays......but believe it or not a ton of people in Buffalo still get a lot of their Bills news from TBN and Graham does a nice job of keeping interest in his stories within the parameters he is given.

A lot of people who can afford those lower bowl or club seats are actually pretty wrapped up in their jobs and don't spend a lot of time analyzing the minutia like a lot of us do.

I'm just curious to your opinion on this because I respect it.

Do you think TG has any responsibility whatsoever to not post things that he knows will cause controversy and create an untrue nationwide impression on the Bills and its front office just because he can, and it's technically not a lie?

I don't think you are reading my posts. I never said TG made a mistake. First you called me a hater, and I am not a hater. Then you are saying that I said TG made a mistake, and I never said that either. If you are going to keep quoting me, please learn to read my posts before responding. You are putting words in my mouth for things I am not saying nor portraying.

I honestly think you are not reading my posts and just typing random thoughts...

I seriously don't give a rat's ass what most people do. Most people are morons--well maybe not most, but a surprisingly large percentage. And Stephan A and Skip are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to professional journalism. But from what I know they yell at each other, on air, on a show designed for just that. The worst kind of television (IMO) but a show nonetheless. Do either engage in combative exchanges with their viewers/readers? Truthfully, I don't know. But as Curt Schilling found out, this s#it can come hot and fast, and take a guy down. Best to be a bit careful.

And we can disagree on whether Timmy was wrong to post the "rogue" story the way he did (he was). But I assume he is wrong, on occasion. We all are--even you, though I'm not sure you admit it, either, from what I see here. Gibbs is wrong about one thing. Apologizing is not a sign of weakness. Admitting you were wrong, and apologizing, is a sign of strength--that is, if you mean it.

I don't think you are reading my posts. I never said TG made a mistake. First you called me a hater, and I am not a hater. Then you are saying that I said TG made a mistake, and I never said that either. If you are going to keep quoting me, please learn to read my posts before responding. You are putting words in my mouth for things I am not saying nor portraying.

I honestly think you are not reading my posts and just typing random thoughts...

The "mistake" conversation was directed at me, I think.

I'm just curious to your opinion on this because I respect it.

Do you think TG has any responsibility whatsoever to not post things that he knows will cause controversy and create an untrue nationwide impression on the Bills and its front office just because he can, and it's technically not a lie?

No I don't.

National perception has nothing to do with who wins games.

Part of the issue we have had on this board for the past 15 years is people who blame "negativity" from fans or media for the Bills inability to succeed.

I don't think that it has been established that the word "rogue" was a direct quote or whether it was a (poorly?) chosen word by TG.

No I don't.

National perception has nothing to do with who wins games.

Part of the issue we have had on this board for the past 15 years is people who blame "negativity" from fans or media for the Bills inability to succeed.

What Tim does, or does not do, has nothing to do with "winning games". But he has a job and it comes with professional responsibilities. Nothing in your last post has anything to do with this discussion.