Rex is torn TT or Cassel

Reed83HOF

I am amazed at the acumen of many of the posters. They can determine a players ceiling by watching about 10 pre season drives. They can tell you what exactly Cassel's stats will be if he starts against Indy. It is all presented as factual analysis without reservation. But they have watched a lot of football so I guess they must know what they are talking about.

By the way Sammy Watkins is going to have a bad game against the Giants. 3 catches, 26 yards.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely. Also funny how excited everyone got last week after two picks that were relatively easy. His overall coverage vs the browns was not good. He needs time.

Gilmore looks great, however. We need Leo.

Leo took forever to be a decent starter, but it was worth the wait. Darby will get there faster

Oh would you stop. Are you serious right now? That drive was his ceiling? What does that even mean? That drive was Joe Montana in his prime's ceiling. It was literally a perfect drive. I don't know if you're serious or not.

Did you just compare anything Tyrod did in a preseason game to Montana in his prime? Really? This coming from someone who couldn't see the former coaching staff was holding EJ's progress back, as blatant as it was. It's funny with a new coaching staff he looks like a NFL caliber QB, no? QB talent evaluator is not your strong suit.... just saying.

P.S. And I even think Tyrod should be the starter by a nose over EJ. I just wanted him to get a fair shot and improve.

It was a great drive but far from perfect. The Steelers were leaving guys open all across the field. Taylor had guys wide open farther down the field but he threw to guys for 5-10 yard gains instead.

I've said it a bunch already- that was a really strange game. It was like an NBA All Star game or something. I feel like anyone could've come in and looked good. What's lost in all this is that Cassel didn't even look terrible. I feel like last year, he would've won the job in the preseason with his four drives. I mean, EJ and Taylor both looked other-worldly good. So good that I don't even know what to make of it.

Did you just compare anything Tyrod did in a preseason game to Montana in his prime? Really? This coming from someone who couldn't see the former coaching staff was holding EJ's progress back, as blatant as it was. It's funny with a new coaching staff he looks like a NFL caliber QB, no? QB talent evaluator is not your strong suit.... just saying.

P.S. And I even think Tyrod should be the starter by a nose over EJ. I just wanted him to get a fair shot and improve.

EJ has had a great two weeks. Not a great offseason. A little early for "NFL caliber?"

I've said it a bunch already- that was a really strange game. It was like an NBA All Star game or something. I feel like anyone could've come in and looked good. What's lost in all this is that Cassel didn't even look terrible. I feel like last year, he would've won the job in the preseason with his four drives. I mean, EJ and Taylor both looked other-worldly good. So good that I don't even know what to make of it.

Completely agree. It's hard to take too much from this game give how terrible Pittsburgh's defense was and I think people have been drawing too many conclusions from it. This is a prime example of how this is just the preseason.

Yeah that's right, I said Tyrod Taylor is already as great of an all time QB as Joe Montana. Read what I wrote. I said his two drives yesterday couldn't have been any better. Yes, Joe Montana in his absolute prime couldn't have done any better than Tyrod Taylor did yesterday in his two preseason drives. Taylor was 12-13. Would Montana have gone 15-13? I also said that a lot of you used the Marrone/coaching excuse way too much for EJ. Those who said that may have been right and I may have been wrong. I'll own that when Manuel does what he did yesterday in a regular season game.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I would be monumentally disappointed and pissed off if they announce Meh as the starter. I really don't even want it to be true they are having difficulty with the choice. I want exciting and explosive, I do not want to watch a season of clay, Watkins and Harvin catching 4 yard outs then getting tackles short of the sticks.

Btw- is EJ the only of the 3 with preseason TD passes?

EJ has had a great two weeks. Not a great offseason. A little early for "NFL caliber?"

How long has the offseason been?

Camp has only been the last 4 weeks.

All of the QBs had rust to shake off and a new system to learn the first week.

You say he's had a great 2 weeks, Sal said last night that Ej has had a good 2.5 weeks. He didnt even look bad in the first preseason game.

So you're really letting that .5-1 week sway you that much?

If you want to hold of on crowning him a franchise QB, that's understandable. But "NFL Caliber" looks to be pretty fitting.

Edited by DrDareustein

OK saying that Manuel has a higher ceiling than Taylor is one thing. I disagree with you and I think you only believe that because of where they were drafted, which is entirely misleading with respect to both of them, but it's a rational thought. But you said that drive yesterday was Taylor's ceiling. That would be like if Mike Trout hit three home runs in a game, stole two bases and made the sickest catch ever, saying "I don't know guys, I think we just saw his ceiling." You literally couldn't have had two better drives than he had.

You're missing the point.

I'm not saying a long drive leading to a TD is his ceiling. What I'm saying is that making solid short and intermediate throws (with the occasional bomb) down the field with the strong threat to run is his ceiling.

When I see EJ, I see him making 25-30 yard throws on the money, picking up big chunks of yardage, while being elusive in the pocket. In other words doing everything Tyrod can do, with less running ability, but at a higher level in the pocket.

One guy is solid, the other guy can be a top 10 QB in this league.

I understand why they would pick Tyrod over EJ, but I just feel like that drive we saw from Taylor yesterday is his ceiling. He's pretty much maxed out. And I can't get over his height.

EJ showed us a glimpse of his ceiling and it blows Tyrod out of the water. EJ can be Cam Newton with good intangibles minus some running skills.

Haha why would you feel this way? Seriously? You think there's no chance he improves with time and experience?

EJ's been getting better and better as training camp and pre-season have progressed. Again despite barely seeing time with the starters. That's what you want to see. And he's won games in the NFL before with significantly less talent.

I am amazed at the acumen of many of the posters. They can determine a players ceiling by watching about 10 pre season drives. They can tell you what exactly Cassel's stats will be if he starts against Indy. It is all presented as factual analysis without reservation. But they have watched a lot of football so I guess they must know what they are talking about.

By the way Sammy Watkins is going to have a bad game against the Giants. 3 catches, 26 yards.

Let's put an end to the forum then and only post statistics. Or maybe just viewpoints that you agree with instead.

Completely agree. It's hard to take too much from this game give how terrible Pittsburgh's defense was and I think people have been drawing too many conclusions from it. This is a prime example of how this is just the preseason.

Im with you. Haven't seen as many receivers running open all over the field since the Bills defenses in the late 70s.

Edited by The Thurmanator

I will seriously question Ryan's QB evaluation skills if Cassel is named starter. Even if Roman prefers MC, I still think it will be Ryan's decision to own. From what we have seen so far, MC is the one most likely to be game planned against byb opposing DCs. Both TT and EJ can use all parts of the field and can offer multiple options to Roman. We have the skill players to utilize every part of the field. Cassel will seriously limit their use.

We are tough and aggressive on defense. That allows the O to take some risks. Both TT and EJ offer that dimension. Playing not to lose is sooooo Jauronic that it will totally underwhelm. I lean towards EJ but wont be as upset with TT as I will be with MC as starter. There is no reason to aim for a conservative offense

Edited by Fan in Chicago

You're missing the point.

I'm not saying a long drive leading to a TD is his ceiling. What I'm saying is that making solid short and intermediate throws (with the occasional bomb) down the field with the strong threat to run is his ceiling.

When I see EJ, I see him making 25-30 yard throws on the money, picking up big chunks of yardage, while being elusive in the pocket. In other words doing everything Tyrod can do, with less running ability, but at a higher level in the pocket.

One guy is solid, the other guy can be a top 10 QB in this league.

Alright guy, let's slow down here. We are getting way too excited about a preseason game. The guy played great. You say you've watched a lot of football. Just think about that uncanny feeling you get two weeks into the regular season every year where it occurs to you that what you're seeing is totally different from what you saw in preseason and you remember that preseason means nothing and you try to remind yourself for next year. We will all have that feeling in a month. Are you worried about the Bills defense after yesterday? I'm not. I am worried about Carpenter however.

How long has the offseason been?

Camp has only been the last 4 weeks.

All of the QBs had rust to shake off and a new system to learn the first week.

You say he's had a great 2 weeks, Sal said last night that Ej has had a good 2.5 weeks. He didnt even look bad in the first preseason game.

So you're really letting that .5-1 week sway you that much?

If you want to hold of on crowning him a franchise QB, that's understandable. But "NFL Caliber" looks to be pretty fitting.

He fell behind Matt Cassel the first couple weeks. He shook off his rust the slowest.

Haha why would you feel this way? Seriously? You think there's no chance he improves with time and experience?

I'm sure he improves somewhat. But I can't get over his height. And I don't think he could've stood in the pocket and made the Clay and Gragg reads, maybe not even the throws.

I wish I can give a factual analysis for Yoho, but I can't. This is just my gut.