EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

This QB competition just got REAL!...LOL

It confirms my feelings that EJ deserves this chance because above the other two QBs he has shown the most important traits head coaches are looking for in a starting QB and that's throwing TD passes and also throwing them in clutch, game like conditions. Here's EJs chance to either confirm Rex's confidence in his abilities or completely blow his golden chance. Rex said that the preseason games would be the most important thing and he didn't go back on his word. Way to go Rex! Let's see what you got EJ!

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to figure out what to make of this. Is EJ seriously still in the hunt to be the opening day starter? Is it really still a 3 QB race? Is it just a nice gesture to EJ for his hard work and solid drive against Cleveland? Maybe a smokescreen to throw off the Colts preparation? None of the above? All of the above?

I'm admittedly perplexed.

How about showcasing him for a trade? Hmmmm.......maybe!

So is everyone prepared to say that a strong showing by EJ on Saturday may lock up the starting QB job? Seemed that way for TT if he had started.

Edited by Rubes

Trying to figure out what to make of this. Is EJ seriously still in the hunt to be the opening day starter? Is it really still a 3 QB race? Is it just a nice gesture to EJ for his hard work and solid drive against Cleveland? Maybe a smokescreen to throw off the Colts preparation? None of the above? All of the above?

I'm admittedly perplexed.

Unless putting heavy weight on the local reports, that Ej was so distantly 3rd didn't make much sense.

Smokescreen doesn't make sense as what do you prepare for differently if Ej starts?

I think he's just relatively close and they are giving him a chance to pull even (at which point it seems you'd start him, all else equal)

FWIW:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/27/ej-manuel-to-start-bills-next-preseason-game/

"Ryan said, however, that all three quarterbacks will get some time with the first-string offense on Saturday. So Manuel’s time with the starters may be brief."

Why is the media trying so hard to explain this away? EJ has played well after an up and down start in camp.

FWIW:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/27/ej-manuel-to-start-bills-next-preseason-game/

"Ryan said, however, that all three quarterbacks will get some time with the first-string offense on Saturday. So Manuel’s time with the starters may be brief."

He alluded to this after the Browns game. That's why I couldnt understand why some posters/radio people were so adamant EJ was done when he was certainly going to have a chance.

Edited by DrDareustein

Why is the media trying so hard to explain this away? EJ has played well after an up and down start in camp.

I didn't read it as explaining away EJ's starting status, but rather a clarification that Rex said all 3 will get snaps with the 1's.

All 3 getting reps is a valid storyline here

Also true.

FWIW:

I think its safe to say that they will give EJ two drives. I know you can't keep the starters in for 6 total drives, but I think it would be pretty pointless to throw EJ in for as little as 3 plays (lets hope its more than that though) and pull him. If they really are wanting to give him a shot, which it appears they are, they will give him 2

I think its safe to say that they will give EJ two drives. I know you can't keep the starters in for 6 total drives, but I think it would be pretty pointless to throw EJ in for as little as 3 plays (lets hope its more than that though) and pull him. If they really are wanting to give him a shot, which it appears they are, they will give him 2

I think, unless those are 6 really long drives, they'll absolutely play 6 drives with the starters--they expect them to go into the 3rd quarter I believe.