Another Camp ACL: Orlando Scandrick carted off Cowboys Field

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the fear is that Scandrick suffered a torn ACL in his right knee, per a source informed of the injury. Scandrick will undergo an MRI to confirm the severity of the injury.

According to the Dallas Morning News, Scandrick's right knee buckled as he attempted to tackle wide receiver Lucky Whitehead. The rookie then fell on Scandrick's leg. Scandrick was in immediate pain, cursing loudly while on the ground. He put a towel over his face and was in tears as he was taken off the field.

In May, Scandrick signed a one-year contract extension, worth $9.5 million.

Losing Scandrick would count as a significant setback for the Cowboys. He is easily the team's best cornerback, and his absence would put pressure on less dependable options like Brandon Carr andMorris Claiborne. Last season, Scandrick finished 12th out of 120 qualified corners in Pro Football Focus' ratings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000516152/article/orlando-scandrick-carted-off-field-at-cowboys-practice

Edited by JTSP

Cue the "they need reps" argument... QB and WR need to be in sync even though they have played together for years... the line needs to gel even though Walter Jones arguably the best LT of all time didn't attend training camp for years... they need to work on tackling just like Bruce Smith did all those years - oh wait he made the HOF and never broke a sweat in August.

Idk what it is about the ACL, but all I hear about is all these advanced training techniques yet it seems theres an increasing frequency of these injuries from light to no contact at all

Terrible injury for the cowgirls. I heard a theory that the players are wearing very light cleats and they aren't providing as much support. I have no idea if this is true.

Cue the "they need reps" argument... QB and WR need to be in sync even though they have played together for years... the line needs to gel even though Walter Jones arguably the best LT of all time didn't attend training camp for years... they need to work on tackling just like Bruce Smith did all those years - oh wait he made the HOF and never broke a sweat in August.

What about teams with huge turnover and new coaching staffs installing new systems? The last CBA placed a lot of limits on Off-Season activities, very little goes on before training camp. Should they just wing it after a few practices in shorts? Not every team is the Packers where Rodgers and all his receivers are fully in tune with one another. What about players on the cusp of a roster, either trying to catch on with a team or trying to hold onto a roster spot. The players you mentioned were more so the exception to the rule. Of course you can have HOF level 8+ year veterans know how to get themselves in gear. But not every player is like that.

If coaches felt training camp was unnecessary and pre-season was just filler, then why would they even bother with the process. Why would they even bring almost a 100 players to training camp, just bring 70 and narrow down the practice squad.

It's the knee. Bad design.

I blame Goodell (and / or Obama and / or Marrone)!

There was a lot of talk about this on Sirius today - people speculating that PEDs make ligaments weaker and some advocating mandatory braces during Training Camp / Preseason. I wouldn't necessarily be against that...

Edited by Heitz

I blame Goodell (and / or Obama and / or Marrone)!

There was a lot of talk about this on Sirius today - people speculating that PEDs make ligaments weaker and some advocating mandatory braces during Training Camp / Preseason. I wouldn't necessarily be against that...

As players get bigger and faster the forces put through the knee increase, while the fundamental design of the knee remains crap; it's made for walking on all fours, not bi-pedal creatures.

30 at this stage of camp or 30 for all of 2013 training camp?

I think it was at the this stage of camp, I am not 100% sure but I think it was at this stage of camp but I could be wrong. Looking into the stat now.

EDIT: It was at the end of camp. Camp is almost over as another poster pointed out.

Edited by billsfan89