Enough incoherence/whining from WGR re: EJ

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that you can only answer that so many times, and most of the time people only ask because it's what our brain is trained to do to start a conversation. They only have a limited amount of time on the air and want to get to the point. Ok, fine.

But when I hear someone making a well thought out, balanced argument in a civil tone, and they just talk over the caller, and then mock his points instead of actually having an intelligent response... that's when I change the station. And it usually only takes about 5 minutes (max) to get to that point. Then I just go to my streaming music apps and that is that.

I get enough (and better) Bills talk here. If they arent breaking a story (which they never do) they are pretty much worthless.

Haha that soooo reminds me of me!

Right on brother... 5 minutes seems to be the max.

I've been pulling from the audio vault instead and cherry picking interviews and Sal spots which are USUALLY pretty tolerable along with some good detail.

I listen often and it seems to me that the whole EJ rant that has happened recently was in direct response to the fact that nearly 50% of the callers after the Browns game were calling in saying they want to see EJ with the starters and they were getting their shows derailed somewhat with a lot of clamoring for EJ to "get a shot."

It makes sense for them to not want to talk about this because EJ has become a non factor in the competition to be the starter and people just can't seem to come to grips with it.

The interesting discussion is Cassel vs Tyrod. Not whether or not EJ makes the team or has been slighted in some way. As a listener, i don't want to hear about EJ Manuel. He is the 3rd QB in one of the worst QB situations in the NFL.

So when they are saying "read the tea leaves," they are saying "please, its over with Manuel. Move on. Stop calling about EJ Manuel."

I listen often and it seems to me that the whole EJ rant that has happened recently was in direct response to the fact that nearly 50% of the callers after the Browns game were calling in saying they want to see EJ with the starters and they were getting their shows derailed somewhat with a lot of clamoring for EJ to "get a shot."

It makes sense for them to not want to talk about this because EJ has become a non factor in the competition to be the starter and people just can't seem to come to grips with it.

The interesting discussion is Cassel vs Tyrod. Not whether or not EJ makes the team or has been slighted in some way. As a listener, i don't want to hear about EJ Manuel. He is the 3rd QB in one of the worst QB situations in the NFL.

So when they are saying "read the tea leaves," they are saying "please, its over with Manuel. Move on. Stop calling about EJ Manuel."

They also had a poll where almost 60% voted that EJ should get a shot with the 1st team. They didn't like the results. :cry:

I'm not convinced the qb situation is actually as bad as you surmise.

If the implicit message is what you claim, there are more polite and direct ways to convey that message.

They also had a poll where almost 60% voted that EJ should get a shot with the 1st team. They didn't like the results. :cry:

But if you are part of the "Move On" crowd, this just proves the mental incapacity of the hoi polloi.

The crow is on the grill at this point. It's just a matter of who gets the platter.

IF EJ ends up starting week 1 all of the beat reporters, hosts, and commentators on WGR are going to look really, really bad. I mean the "they could not be more wrong" kind of bad.

If not then all of these people who are hell-bent on EJ "getting a chance" (as if he has never had one here) are going to have to accept that there was no vast media conspiracy, and the seeming coordination was just a consensus of what was obvious.

I'm not convinced the qb situation is actually as bad as you surmise.

Totally agree...Especially the depth now...The starter situation is still a bit of an unknown...But all three look much better than most thought they would...

I can't think of many off the top of my head...But I think I'm safe in assuming the list of #2 QB's in the NFL that are better than any of these three is pretty short...Granted we don't have one of the elite guys...But it does look like at least one of these three can be a mid-level NFL starter... B-)

They also had a poll where almost 60% voted that EJ should get a shot with the 1st team. They didn't like the results.

So their website brings up this issue with the poll they discuss the result that they don't like and then belittle callers for expressing why they agree with the results?

Again I am not really sure why there is such an uproar about EJ perhaps getting time with the first team against the Steelers. The worst outcome for the anti EJ crowd is what? he plays really well? If he is as bad as he is said to be by the media and certain fans he should be shown for how bad he is and the debate will end.

The crow is on the grill at this point. It's just a matter of who gets the platter.

IF EJ ends up starting week 1 all of the beat reporters, hosts, and commentators on WGR are going to look really, really bad. I mean the "they could not be more wrong" kind of bad.

If not then all of these people who are hell-bent on EJ "getting a chance" (as if he has never had one here) are going to have to accept that there was no vast media conspiracy, and the seeming coordination was just a consensus of what was obvious.

Give him a shot with the first time is not him starting week one. There seems to be a disconnect between the two side as if he plays in a preseason game for evaluation it means he has to be the starter. I do not see how you can jump to that conclusion and I don't think that is what the "getting a chance" crowd is saying.

OP: Very true.

I live out of the area but have been listening to WGR a lot this summer online to get training camp details. Murphy seems to be one of the very few broadcasters not ripping into Manuel.

They are defensive, and as the summer progresses, do not seem to want EJ to suceed. And as he has done well in games they have seemed to up their attacks, almost as if they are nervous that they were wrong and he could become a high quality NFL quarterback. Their biased comments and attacks would, of course, look even worse if this were to happen.

I am not saying that Manuel should start, as he has not been consistent. But he has looked more like an NFL quarterback each week. By being so negative they have lost their objectivty and are not reliable and trustworthy.

Too bad, as there are not althernatives on Buffalo radio to my knowledge, and we want to breathe Bills this time of year and will take what we can get. (Or are there alternatives on Buffalo radio?)

Even simple manners, people call in and say "hey guys how are you doing?" They respond a resolute "fine" nothing more.

Yeah folks say don't listen, but the bills talk just offers a missing piece of home u can't get anywhere.

To be honest, having to listen to virtually every caller ask, "How ya doin?" "How's it goin? every call makes me a little nuts. You mean, how am I doing since the last guy asked me 40 seconds ago? I realize its just an affectation but it just sounds so lame to me. Thanks for taking my call is almost as overused. My favorite is: "Hello? Can ya hear me ok?"

BUT, I think the station must have told them to say something, because they used to completely ignore everyone who asked some form of How's it going? If I'm a talk show host I would tell anyone who asked me one of those lame rhetorical questions would be hung up on!

Give him a shot with the first time is not him starting week one. There seems to be a disconnect between the two side as if he plays in a preseason game for evaluation it means he has to be the starter. I do not see how you can jump to that conclusion and I don't think that is what the "getting a chance" crowd is saying.

Giving him a shot with the ones in the third preseason game is tantamount to giving him a nod to start the opener.

If we are to believe that Ryan & Roman are ultracompetitive guys who really want to win this year, what do they have to gain by sitting their apparently best QB on the bench?

So their website brings up this issue with the poll they discuss the result that they don't like and then belittle callers for expressing why they agree with the results?

Again I am not really sure why there is such an uproar about EJ perhaps getting time with the first team against the Steelers. The worst outcome for the anti EJ crowd is what? he plays really well? If he is as bad as he is said to be by the media and certain fans he should be shown for how bad he is and the debate will end.

For me as an EJ supporter, but Bills fan first and foremeost...if you have determined the guy is not your Opening Day starter and is indeed #3, I hope they do not waste even one rep with EJ and the starters in that game.

What? Do you know what vitriol means? The acidic nastiness is coming from those who have contempt for EJ and for those who have not yet given up on him.

Your points are not in any way germane. Rex and Co. probably do favor Tyrod and Cassel. Who claims anything WGR says influences coaching decisions?

It doesn't matter if either is true or untrue. Neither addresses bias, character, or the nature of particular rhetoric.

Sorry if i was not clear, i think both sides have dug in and neither wants to listen to the other...as it is in most debates.Oh well. As i said, why if Gods green earth do people listen if they hate these guys so much and they consider them such idiots. I stopped my subscription to the TBN when Bucky wrote that loser column, and have not read either he or Sully since. i stopped listening to the afternoon guys ...why is this so hard.

And i know i went to Slippery Rock so not highly educated...but i have no earthly clue what your last sentence means.

Giving him a shot with the ones in the third preseason game is tantamount to giving him a nod to start the opener.

If we are to believe that Ryan & Roman are ultracompetitive guys who really want to win this year, what do they have to gain by sitting their apparently best QB on the bench?

It is no such thing if each of Manuel, Taylor, and Cassel get time with the 1st unit against Pittsburgh. That is indeed Rex has been hinting at this week. After Saturday's game, there will still be two weeks to get their starter prepared for the Colts behind closed doors at OBD.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If you play all three with the first team there is no way one could arrive at that conclusion. There are 3 qtrs that the starters will likely play in and there is no reason that all three couldn't take a turn. That of course is only if Rex is being honest and its still anyone's job to win.

I'm in the crowd that doesn't care if EJ wins the job or not. Drafting a 1st rd QB next year is what I think is best regardless, love EJ's character but he has displayed inconsistency in every aspect of Qb since FSU. Whoever can lead the Bills to wins is what matters. If EJ develops then it's a great thing and it's definitely good to keep him at least as 3rd QB but no tears shed if he's gone.

That being said, WGR has been ridiculous and childish in the way they've commented and slanted the perception of the QB competition. The QB situation overall has not been as bad as they've advertised and every EJ overthrow is over-exaggerated badly. When it's not a pity party over their coverage being criticized it's the Schopp temper tantrums, I haven't tuned into the afternoon show in a few years now at all. Going to camp 2-3 times this year it's like I must be watching something different when I read the tweets and hear the updates, when receivers run a wrong route its not even mentioned if it was Cassel or Taylor.

Is EJ the answer this year? I agree with them that the answer is no.

Has EJ botched this summer as bad as they (a "professional" sports radio station) has said? No and its not even close.

Yeah but other radio show guys can exchange pleasantries well without ticking off too many seconds. And let's face it, it's not like they are so content rich they struggle to work it all in.

It's really more of an indictment of the stupidity of that type of silly rhetorical question being used so ubiquitously as a greeting that it just is lame on talk radio. There are other ways to begin a conversation on a phone other than asking someone a question as a greeting that is so trite and useless. Are they going to go into detail about how they are feeling today with every caller. And the fact that people expect a talk show host to respond to that inane question every 45 seconds just demonstrates how lame it is in that context.

Except in situations where a friends or loved ones are seeing each other for the first time in a while, so that the question is sincere and a real response is sought, it is just a lame greeting for someone you don't know.

For me as an EJ supporter, but Bills fan first and foremeost...if you have determined the guy is not your Opening Day starter and is indeed #3, I hope they do not waste even one rep with EJ and the starters in that game.

Rex says that determination has not been made yet. That is what I am forming the premise on. If that is not true he should not have wasted any reps for EJs and the ones this week either. We will see what happens Saturday.