What to make of Cassel not playing?

justnzane

Cassel's Status  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What to make of Cassel's playing time being reduced?

• It is strictly to keep EJ and TT getting more reps, and Meh has a job
    • Meh is the starter and TT and EJ are proving their worth
    • Meh is on the cutting/trading block if EJ and TT prove capable
    • Other, state why

I think the better question is: What happened to Matt Simms? What are we to read into this? Is he the secret weapon we have been waiting for?

Sarcasm font...whatever that is....

What happened to Jeff Tuel? he didn't play in the Jags 1st preseason game so maybe they'll cut him and we can pick him up and add to the practice squad? :doh:

Watching Cassel in preseason would be a waste of snaps. There's already plenty of film available on him, and it's nothing special. He was brought in to fill Orton's role of veteran insurance QB. He has no future here, but it'd be dangerous to start a season without him. I don't see him getting cut, nor do I think he'll start. He's an ideal backup.

My other is that Meh is a known equation and we need to make a decision. We've seen him with the first team, we've seen a ton of film starting in the nfl. We've seen him all training camp. It's not great, its just meh.

Could he start? sure. Could he get cut? Yep, but it would take a lot more strong performances from our other qbs.

My other is that Meh is a known equation and we need to make a decision. We've seen him with the first team, we've seen a ton of film starting in the nfl. We've seen him all training camp. It's not great, its just meh.

Could he start? sure. Could he get cut? Yep, but it would take a lot more strong performances from our other qbs.

+1

Last years coaching staff would be playing Meh into the 3rd quarters to get rhythm with the wr's. Hopefully the "moblie" qbs show enough that he never leaves the bench!!

What happened to Jeff Tuel? he didn't play in the Jags 1st preseason game so maybe they'll cut him and we can pick him up and add to the practice squad? :doh:

I'm sick of the anti-Tuel agenda! Did he kick your dog?

I've been thinking Cassel would be released eventually, but I have changed my mind. I think they will keep 3 QB's, but I think EJ will leap frog Cassel on the depth chart. Cassel is a known commodity, and he will be a good insurance policy. How the rep's play out in preseason game 3 will tell the story.

Good points. I say we are going to keep three as well. Remember EJ is paid for so cutting him is only to use the roster spot somewhere else. Well, you have TT that could easily get hurt, then you have a free QB who is getting better as a back up, but not a starting QB. You also have a very reliable back up with MC, and in this league you want a dependable back up.

Dumb question, why is the OP referring to MC as Meh? I know it's me, but not understanding the meaning.

I think coach realizes what he has in Cassel. I come up with this thought because he said, " we know what we have in Cassel" I also believe he wants Cassel as our # 2 and would like EJ or TT to have the chance to prove who is the #1 and the #3. Simple as that.

Good points. I say we are going to keep three as well. Remember EJ is paid for so cutting him is only to use the roster spot somewhere else. Well, you have TT that could easily get hurt, then you have a free QB who is getting better as a back up, but not a starting QB. You also have a very reliable back up with MC, and in this league you want a dependable back up.

Dumb question, why is the OP referring to MC as Meh? I know it's me, but not understanding the meaning.

I had to look it up. The meaning is expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm. This basically means the OP doesn't like or care for Cassel so this is his real reason for the Post.

I can't decide where I'm at on this. I can't get my mind around Cassel being 2nd in the coaches' eyes, and the other 2 are duking it out for 1st and 3rd. If they can't decide between TT and EJ, Then Cassel must be either 1st or 3rd, no? My hope is Cassel is 3rd and the battle is for 1st and 2nd. If Cassel wins the starting job, I fear the team's potential will not be reached to the degree it can be with either of the other 2. That said, none of the 3 have significantly separated themselves from the rest, unfortunately.

I can't get my mind around Cassel being 2nd in the coaches' eyes, and the other 2 are duking it out for 1st and 3rd. If they can't decide between TT and EJ, Then Cassel must be either 1st or 3rd, no?

No not necessarily. They could be playing the other two guys for different reasons. You are making the assumption that the coaches see TT and EJ as equals in a competition for the starting position. And I can see why everyone would assume that. After all, that is what the coaches have said.

What the coaches haven't said though (and probably the real truth) is that they already know what order the quarterbacks are in. They already know who they are going to start in week 1 unless circumstances change between now and then. They aren't going to tell us that though. There is no benefit to telling the fans who they favor right now. It will only create more controversy no matter who it is.

It is plausible that they could be giving Tyrod reps with the first team to get him ready to start and they are just giving EJ more practice so he continues to develop. It's anybody's guess really. We don't have much to go on until we see who Rex names as the starter for the next preseason game. That should give us more insight into what the pecking order really is. And depending on how the guys perform in the next game, it might have an impact on the starting lineup for week 1. But only if one of the guys outright sucks or if one of the guys plays perfect football.

They already know who they are going to start in week 1 unless circumstances change between now and then. They aren't going to tell us that though. There is no benefit to telling the fans who they favor right now. It will only create more controversy no matter who it is.

Not meaning to be awkward but I honestly don't think they do. I think they thought they knew who wasn't starting (EJ) and maybe they still think that, although Rex's comments suggest they might be doubting themselves a bit to me, but at no point have I thought there is a consensus starter here. At different stages Cassel and Tyrod may have nudged ahead but I honestly don't believe the coaches know which one of those two they want under centre on opening day and EJ 's play might now, if anything, have confused them further.

Not meaning to be awkward but I honestly don't think they do. I think they thought they knew who wasn't starting (EJ) and maybe they still think that, although Rex's comments suggest they might be doubting themselves a bit to me, but at no point have I thought there is a consensus starter here. At different stages Cassel and Tyrod may have nudged ahead but I honestly don't believe the coaches know which one of those two they want under centre on opening day and EJ 's play might now, if anything, have confused them further.

Yes this is a possibility. I will believe this to be the case if they start EJ this week and let him play the whole first half. IF they don't, then I assume that he is not as close to being number 1 as many people want him to be on this board.

With the quarterback being such an important position in determining what type of offense you can run, and with the huge differences in types of skills that each of these quarterbacks brings, I am thinking that they would want to have it nailed down. I am sure Roman/Rex have a specific type of offense they want to implement. And they either want the best qb for that scheme or else have to adjust the scheme for the QB they choose. I think it is easier to pick a QB who fits your scheme than the other way around especially with each passing day as we get closer to the season opener.

Yes this is a possibility. I will believe this to be the case if they start EJ this week and let him play the whole first half. IF they don't, then I assume that he is not as close to being number 1 as many people want him to be on this board.

With the quarterback being such an important position in determining what type of offense you can run, and with the huge differences in types of skills that each of these quarterbacks brings, I am thinking that they would want to have it nailed down. I am sure Roman/Rex have a specific type of offense they want to implement. And they either want the best qb for that scheme or else have to adjust the scheme for the QB they choose. I think it is easier to pick a QB who fits your scheme than the other way around especially with each passing day as we get closer to the season opener.

Even if EJ is still out of the race though I don't think they know between Tyrod and Cassel is my point.