What to make of Cassel not playing?

justnzane

Cassel's Status  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What to make of Cassel's playing time being reduced?

• It is strictly to keep EJ and TT getting more reps, and Meh has a job
    • Meh is the starter and TT and EJ are proving their worth
    • Meh is on the cutting/trading block if EJ and TT prove capable
    • Other, state why

I know that it has casually been mentioned in other threads, but I am just wondering where people's thoughts are on this subject? I find it bizarre the Cassel is not getting any game reps at all. Normally, that is a negative sign so early in the preseason.

Apparently they are satisfied with what they have seen from him in practice and the film room to be confident that he has a good grasp of the offense and can execute it to the best of his ability.

I think they are keeping him sidelined because 1) they intend to start him and don't want to risk injury (unlikely) or 2) they intend to use him as a veteran presence on the sideline this year in case our young quarterback melts down during a game. (more likely) And they appreciate his ability to help the other guys develop.

We will have a better idea on what their intentions are once we find out who is starting the next preseason game. If Cassel starts and he plays well, then I think he will probably start week 1. If he doesn't start, or if he starts but plays poorly then I think one of the other guys will end up starting (at this point, most likely that is Taylor).

I think it was a combination of all factors:

1) This was TT's game to play with the ones.

2) They still wanted to both see EJ play and get him some experience to evaluate him better.

3) he would not be playing with any of the RB or WR he will be playing with so it wouldn't matter (and please don't be Jeremy White and say then it wouldn't matter with the other guys, that's just stupid. Cassel has played 11 years. They know what they have. The only reason you play him, and it's flat out what Rex said from the beginning, is with the ones and sometimes twos).

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I think he was held out partially because the coaches knew he would get killed behind the second and third team O line

This is the answer I am 99.9% sure of it. Once he isn't starting he can't play because with that line and his statue qualities he is done.

I've been thinking Cassel would be released eventually, but I have changed my mind. I think they will keep 3 QB's, but I think EJ will leap frog Cassel on the depth chart. Cassel is a known commodity, and he will be a good insurance policy. How the rep's play out in preseason game 3 will tell the story.

They know what they've got from Matt. The key to the preseason is to find out what Taylor and possibly EJ have to offer. I think they might run EJ out with the Ones for awhile next week. If he bombs, that makes it easier on Rex to go with TT. They can always pull him quickly if it isn't going well.

There is ZERO chance that Cassel is cut -ZERO. He is at worst a backup and according to BR the coaching staff (except Rex) want him starting.

I do not think we can take BR as gospel, and I know you don't. I truly don't believe they have made up their mind yet, although it's about 45 Cassel and 45 TT and 10 EJ. Probably not even 10. Maybe 47-47-6.

I do not think we can take BR as gospel, and I know you don't. I truly don't believe they have made up their mind yet, although it's about 45 Cassel and 45 TT and 10 EJ. Probably not even 10. Maybe 47-47-6.

I am not saying that he will start. I am saying that Cassel will not be cut. There is no chance.

I am not saying that he will start. I am saying that Cassel will not be cut. There is no chance.

I don't think so either. I was referring to the BR report that Roman and I assume Palmer or Lee want Cassel starting, and I doubt they have made a decision, and I doubt he spoke to them after this game because it was last night and that is what they told him.

I don't think so either. I was referring to the BR report that Roman and I assume Palmer or Lee want Cassel starting, and I doubt they have made a decision, and I doubt he spoke to them after this game because it was last night and that is what they told him.

Palmer will 100% want Cassel. Roman I can imagine being torn, Lee I am not sure on.

I think the better question is: What happened to Matt Simms? What are we to read into this? Is he the secret weapon we have been waiting for?

Sarcasm font...whatever that is....

yes

Apparently they are satisfied with what they have seen from him in practice and the film room to be confident that he has a good grasp of the offense and can execute it to the best of his ability.

I think they are keeping him sidelined because 1) they intend to start him and don't want to risk injury (unlikely) or 2) they intend to use him as a veteran presence on the sideline this year in case our young quarterback melts down during a game. (more likely) And they appreciate his ability to help the other guys develop.

We will have a better idea on what their intentions are once we find out who is starting the next preseason game. If Cassel starts and he plays well, then I think he will probably start week 1. If he doesn't start, or if he starts but plays poorly then I think one of the other guys will end up starting (at this point, most likely that is Taylor).

Good post PD

Ralph is cheap?

The legend lives>

still need a link on the detergent .

I've been thinking Cassel would be released eventually, but I have changed my mind. I think they will keep 3 QB's, but I think EJ will leap frog Cassel on the depth chart. Cassel is a known commodity, and he will be a good insurance policy. How the rep's play out in preseason game 3 will tell the story.

Thank you and book it

PFFT!

I think the better question is: What happened to Matt Simms? What are we to read into this? Is he the secret weapon we have been waiting for?

Sarcasm font...whatever that is....

I mean no