A few observations on the game from your friend in Cleveland

You expect "people" around here to understand context and nuance? That's a heavy lift...Imo

Please. It wasn't that nuanced. Leroi is just being an ass again.

Thank you both! Have a great weekend.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm picking nits to the highest degree but 85 is Charles Clay the TE. Someone else that was at the game said TT missed Clay open a couple times. I didn't see it myself on the TV but we are limited in our views.

Thanks for the report, Cleveland. And thanks for taking McCown.

I saw it on TV. The second time I watched it. It would have been very obvious from the stands so that is definitely one of those things you miss. Apologies again to Clippers of NFL.

Can't remember if he ran out of bounds or threw the ball away but he scrambled right and Clay was totally abandoned and yet the closest receiver to him.

In the third drive in the Friday night game the drive died on a slightly similar play......he scrambled left and pulled the ball down and missed a chance at a wide open Hogan right in front of him.

He ran and danced out of bounds about 3 yards short. It's hard to say that he learns how to maximize his scrambling game but I think he will learn that teams are so afraid of his open field skills that they will blow coverages if he is patient. That and there are times when it's not worth taking a hit and that was one of them.

Edited by #BADOL

I saw it on TV. The second time I watched it. It would have been very obvious from the stands so that is definitely one of those things you miss. Apologies again to Clippers of NFL.

Can't remember if he ran out of bounds or threw the ball away but he scrambled right and Clay was totally abandoned and yet the closest receiver to him.

In the third drive in the Friday night game the drive died on a slightly similar play......he scrambled left and pulled the ball down and missed a chance at a wide open Hogan right in front of him.

He ran and danced out of bounds about 3 yards short. It's hard to say that he learns how to maximize his scrambling game but I think he will learn that teams are so afraid of his open field skills that they will blow coverages if he is patient. That and there are times when it's not worth taking a hit and that was one of them.

If it's the play I'm thinking of I saw Clay about 8 yards down field but Taylor had already looked that way immediately and had decided to run. I would have to watch it again but I didn't think he missed a wide open guy. It was just once so don't quote me on it. But that was not a play I would call a glaring miss or took off way too early.

It's a pet peeve of mine when any QB is accused of missing a wide open player who was not open when the QB looked that way. Not saying that is what happened this play. But what I remember is seeing him look, see no one there, start going to the sideline and then late at the top of the screen you see clay open.

If it's the play I'm thinking of I saw Clay about 8 yards down field but Taylor had already looked that way immediately and had decided to run. I would have to watch it again but I didn't think he missed a wide open guy. It was just once so don't quote me on it. But that was not a play I would call a glaring miss or took off way too early.

It's a pet peeve of mine when any QB is accused of missing a wide open player who was not open when the QB looked that way. Not saying that is what happened this play. But what I remember is seeing him look, see no one there, start going to the sideline and then late at the top of the screen you see clay open.

Like I said......I think if he is the starting QB he will learn thru the film study to be a little more patient.....to move a little more parallel to the LOS or fake a tuck and getting one last look before crossing that line in order to take advantage of the fear defenders have that he is going to run by them.

Like I said......I think if he is the starting QB he will learn thru the film study to be a little more patient.....to move a little more parallel to the LOS or fake a tuck and getting one last look before crossing that line in order to take advantage of the fear defenders have that he is going to run by them.

Totally agree with that. I think he should get the nod, too, as long as he is not making bad decisions. And he hasn't so far.

Totally agree with that. I think he should get the nod, too, as long as he is not making bad decisions. And he hasn't so far.

Biggest thing for me is actually that he has been more accurate than I expected in the games.

So used to Fitz and EJ having those one hoppers or deep balls that land 3 yards out of bounds every few opportunities.

Not exactly Aaron Rodgers dropping it in a shot glass from 35 yards out but his intermediate stuff has been very sharp and his deep stuff has been very catchable.

There are professional QB throws we will probably not see from him.......like that deep go route to the slot receiver that lands on the receivers inside shoulder on the letters in the endzone for 6 that Drew Brees and Tom Brady regularly nail.

But mine and other concerns that he might be unable to use the middle of the field appear to be unjustified at this point.

Hey Bills fans! I was at the game last night at First Energy (you all should have made the short trek from Buffalo, plenty of good seats were left!) I watched your team quite a bit. Thought I would share some thoughts.

1. Your #2 (3?) QB is better than our #1. Manuel > McCown all day. I wouldn't mind the Browns trying to swing a trade for him since you have two other QBs ahead of him. I've always thought he was pretty good, and would like to have another developmental QB besides Manziel. He is much further along and his arm is fantastic.

Hey Cleveland, thanks for the words!

I was kind of relieved we didn't sign McCown, myself. Though time will tell if Cassel is an improvement.

Good luck with Johnny M. I hope he keeps his head on straight going forward.

Ok now that this has been brought up, I'm going to mention that sack Taylor took in the 1st quarter when he didn't have to. IIRC, and I did TiVo the game, on this other play, he didn't notice the receiver crossing from the left hash who had a step or two on the DB. I think it was Hogan on a crossing or corner route. If TT had stepped up he would've seen him for the touch..

Ok now that this has been brought up, I'm going to mention that sack Taylor took in the 1st quarter when he didn't have to. IIRC, and I did TiVo the game, on this other play, he didn't notice the receiver crossing from the left hash who had a step or two on the DB. I think it was Hogan on a crossing or corner route. If TT had stepped up he would've seen him for the touch..

Taylor has to do a better job on that play....can't take a sack....but the extraordinary thing that happened on that play was what Krueger did to Incognito and Wood to get that sack.

He started out over incognito and at the snap kept his arms at his side...not engaging either of them...... and shuffled down the line and went right past the two slow footed interior OL.

Wood reached for him but his feet were in cement.

The two of them struggled A LOT.

Not to excuse Taylor but there is no way that Krueger should have been able to get a direct angle on a play that rolled away from his side.

Just a case of an athlete beating a couple non-athletes and with respect to Kruegers talents he shouldn't be able to beat a double team like that.

If Cassel had been in there Wood/Incognito would be a hot topic of discussion on this board.

Incognito didn't look too bad pulling but otherwise neither of them matched up well against a penetrating front.

This is one of my reasons for supporting Tyrod. He has the potential to cover up for bad OL play and I expect a lot of it from Wood. Incognito looked real rusty, at the very least.

Taylor has to do a better job on that play....can't take a sack....but the extraordinary thing that happened on that play was what Krueger did to Incognito and Wood to get that sack.

He started out over incognito and at the snap kept his arms at his side...not engaging either of them...... and shuffled down the line and went right past the two slow footed interior OL.

Wood reached for him but his feet were in cement.

The two of them struggled A LOT.

Not to excuse Taylor but there is no way that Krueger should have been able to get a direct angle on a play that rolled away from his side.

Just a case of an athlete beating a couple non-athletes and with respect to Kruegers talents he shouldn't be able to beat a double team like that.

If Cassel had been in there Wood/Incognito would be a hot topic of discussion on this board.

Incognito didn't look too bad pulling but otherwise neither of them matched up well against a penetrating front.

This is one of my reasons for supporting Tyrod. He has the potential to cover up for bad OL play and I expect a lot of it from Wood. Incognito looked real rusty, at the very least.

I actually saw that as well when I rewatched yesterday. As you say when asked to hold his ground in a standard pass block situation Incognito looked a little vulnerable.

Even though you seem like a nice person and had a nice post... Well I want the Browns to fail just enough to not be able to draft a QB. I am sorry but you are AFC competition, also people try to compare our teams and I feel like that is an insult on the Bills part. Haslam is an owner I love b.c he is so bad, Farmer is a garbage of a GM, and Pettine is caught in the middle while still being bad in run defense.

To sterotype is offensive to ANY race or group of people.

Imo

Nope. Rednecks embrace their stereotype haha.

<deleted the rest of my post of other examples of stereotype truisms>...

.Stereotypes are there for a reason. They don't apply to everyone, true, but most have a solid basis in reality. Some are offensive. Some are flattering. Guess what, I am 6'1" and can barely touch the rim on a basketball goal. And I am a terrible dancer, lol!! And I have never been offended when those stereotypes have been perpetuated in my presence.

I have to share this story too: My very first business trip in my career was to Toronto. I'm in Tulsa, so this was a big deal to me at age 24. My partner was a black man of the same age. We were intimidated by the size of the city so we ate most of our dinners in the food court in the mall across the street from our hotel. Taco bell, mcd, the gyro place.

A few evenings in, my buddy made a comment about wanting KFC. I asked him, well...why don't you get KFC then? He was embarrassed of the stereotype. I laughed at him and said if you like fried chicken, then get some goddamn fried chicken! He wouldn't do it unless I had fried chicken too. We ate our KFC together, and afterword I harassed him about finding some watermelon. I believe he learned that night that particular stereotype was based in truth and decided stereotype be damned! I like fried chicken!!!

Same trip: We met a day helper from jamaica. Same age as us. He hooked us up with some weed. Imagine that!

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

4. The Browns tried to block Jerry Hughes with a running back. :thumbdown: You would think they would have learned but noooo.

Considering Hughes made your All-Pro Tackle Joe Thomas look like he was wearing a dress last year, maybe Pettine figured the RB couldn't do any worse, lol...

The play where Hughes made the tackle on the RB, forced the fumble, picked it up and ran it in for the TD WHILE being held by Thomas might have been the play of the year for the Bills last year....

Edited by matter2003