EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

I think EJ will become a starter when he finds a way to turn more of the broken plays into big plays for his team.

One of the things you notice in great quarterbacks is that they make a lot of big plays after the pocket has broken down and after they have been flushed out of it or after they have been pressured some other way. When I see EJ under pressure and he manages to avoid the first guy coming at him, I start to think "Come on man....hit somebody down field, coverage never sticks with their receivers that well when the quarterback is trying to avoid a sack"

And instead of throwing that deep ball to his one on one receiver downfield, he kind of looks like he gets confused. He takes a step and often times gets sacked.

He did face some wicked pressure yesterday up till his last drive. And instead of making plays (well he did make one run for a first down in the first series) he took sacks or scrapped the play. That isn't what a good quarterback does. That isn't what a determined to win at all costs quarterback does.

You can't expect a perfect pocket every time. It isn't going to happen in this NFL. You have to be able to beat guys half the time they pressure you. He isn't very good at that at all in my opinion. IF he was good at that, I think he would be a starter and this team could win with him regularly.

See the 51 yard TD bomb to Deonte Thompson vs. the Panthers last week. See the pass to Chandler in the SD game last season. See the 80 yard bomb to Mike Williams in the Hou game last season. Three examples to refute what you just posted. m

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right I apologize no reason to fight I'm just baffled that so many people after 15 years of no playoffs are routing for a mediocre qb to start for us again. Tyrod is exciting to watch and has traits that we as bills fans have not seen in a very long time. Last nights preseason game was the most watched preseason game ever in WNY and it wasn't because of EJ Manuel. EJS stats have always been blah and just because he tossed a few 4th quarter tds in preseason does not earn him the right to start for a team hungry for a playoff run.

Fair enough, but IMO it would be Cassel that is the boring, mediocre QB. EJ is still developing, and is actually pretty much on schedule. Tyrod has the benefit of 2 more years, and having spent 4 years on a top-notch organization with great coaching and development behind a SB winning QB.

If there is anyone we should hope goes, it's Cassel. Because it would mean we dont need him.

See the 51 yard TD bomb to Deonte Thompson vs. the Panthers last week. See the pass to Chandler in the SD game last season. See the 80 yard bomb to Mike Williams in the Hou game last season. Three examples to refute what you just posted. m

What happened in 2014 under Doug Marrone is immaterial.

Fair enough, but IMO it would be Cassel that is the boring, mediocre QB. EJ is still developing, and is actually pretty much on schedule. Tyrod has the benefit of 2 more years, and having spent 4 years on a top-notch organization with great coaching and development behind a SB winning QB.

If there is anyone we should hope goes, it's Cassel. Because it would mean we dont need him.

I agree that Cassell should be cut he's getting too much money to ultimately be a backup. But even Whaley said last week that Manuel was behind schedule.

Yeah, I guess it is more which coach is backing which QB? Rex is almost certainly Tyrod from the reports and his general giddiness (if that's a word). The rest of the coaches I just don't know nor do I know how much say they have. Metz, is saying that Roman is a Cassel guy and that would be consistent (at least potentially) with the Cole report.

Ultimately, will Rex make the decision? Roman? Lee?

He was a 1st round pick and going into his last year was projected as the 1st overall pick. That's probably not the best example (Romo or Brady would be better examples).

The biggest issue I have is Tyrod has zero regular season NFL starts and thrown only 35 passes with 2 INTs (remember RJ came in with 1 NFL start? and he struggled mightaly when he first started here) and even though he played against Clevelands "#1s" last night they were missing a big chunk of their secondary in their Pro Bowl CB and FS and even though Gilbert's been horrible primary nickel CB so it was more like a #2 secondary and he didn't put up any points and it may have inflated his numbers. That said yes Tyrod was great on that first drive except for the sack and thus far in the preseason he has struggled in the red zone. Maybe I am reserving my judgement on his as don't want to get emotionally invested as my brain tells me that most running QBs don't have great long term success in the NFL. Toss in Cassel reminds me of Orton and honestly I think we have more skill players this year and Roman seems like a guy who can scheme a running game and if we had that coupled with the strong D and ST we had last year than this team should no doubt be a playoff contender.

Edited by The Jokeman

What were his bad plays that you noticed given his stat line?

What were his bad plays that you noticed given his stat line?

I don't have it in front of me (I had the replay of the game on while eating dinner) but some plays that come to mind are EJ fumbling multiple snaps, getting away from pressure only to throw the ball at the receivers feet, getting sacked and fumbling in the red zone (Gragg recovered). I realize he was with the 3's but it was a mess at the end of that game. It's just a reminder of how he has played as the starter the last couple of years. No thanks

Some people are driven to NOT see what EJ is doing now. Because it completely goes against their well-entrenched bias. It's like they want EJ's head on a pike for not playing up to his draft pick. (You know, they one we "traded up" for?) Again, to be clear, TT should be the starter, but EJ is getting better under Roman. Good enough to keep around.

And this is the problem Promo.

I have no problem with EJ sticking around. As a 2 or even a 3.

But to the OP, Ej does not deserve to take reps from the #1, TT.

(Yeah I know my opinion doesnt matter. So what)

I agree that Cassell should be cut he's getting too much money to ultimately be a backup. But even Whaley said last week that Manuel was behind schedule.

Cassel is making roughly $4m this year and this year alone, who and/what combo of players can we add today that make an impact on the 2015 Bills that we could use with Cassel cap number?

I don't know if those were broken plays that turned into big plays or not. If they weren't broken plays then they are completely irrelevant to the point I am trying to make. Even if they were all broken plays, 3 plays in 3 random games are not enough for me. He needs to make those kinds of plays much more often.

Let's use last night as an example. He could have avoided a couple of those sacks. He actually did avoid a couple of them at first and then stumbled around and still ended up getting sacked. He looked like every subpar quarterback looks who can't turn those plays into positive plays for his team. He just isn't good enough. At least not yet. He's a backup.

I dont want to cut Cassel because of money. I want him to not be needed. And even if the other 2 do develop, I'd keep him around. Nothing wrong with keeping a vet backup around. We have been down to our 3rd QB a couple times in recent history.

I don't have it in front of me (I had the replay of the game on while eating dinner) but some plays that come to mind are EJ fumbling multiple snaps, getting away from pressure only to throw the ball at the receivers feet, getting sacked and fumbling in the red zone (Gragg recovered). I realize he was with the 3's but it was a mess at the end of that game. It's just a reminder of how he has played as the starter the last couple of years. No thanks

He had a helluva lot more good plays than bad in that game by any objective measure. Even his harshest critics in the media praised his play yesterday. But there's no convincing some who are stuck on their preconceived notions. Carry on.

I don't know if those were broken plays that turned into big plays or not. If they weren't broken plays then they are completely irrelevant to the point I am trying to make. Even if they were all broken plays, 3 plays in 3 random games are not enough for me. He needs to make those kinds of plays much more often.

Let's use last night as an example. He could have avoided a couple of those sacks. He actually did avoid a couple of them at first and then stumbled around and still ended up getting sacked. He looked like every subpar quarterback looks who can't turn those plays into positive plays for his team. He just isn't good enough. At least not yet. He's a backup.

He avoided a few, but damn is he supposed to be Houdini behind that sorry OL that he was out there with. Gimme a break!

That said yes Tyrod was great on that first drive except for the sack and thus far in the preseason he has struggled in the red zone.

Don't have his stats in front of me but I do know of the 4 drives he has led into the red zone we have had 2 TDs. I wouldn't say he struggling unless he puts up another 0-2+ night.

Edited by YattaOkasan

Don't have his stats in front of me but I do know of the 4 drives he has led into the red zone we have had 2 TDs. I wouldn't say he struggling unless he puts up another 0-2+ night.

He's 0-3 passing inside the twenty, Feel free to review his stuff at http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrodtaylor/2495240/profileThe two red zone TDs he led us on were because of Bryce Brown's stong run inside the twenty and Tyrod's run and "horse collar" penalty he drew against Carolina. Again I want to see Tyrod do it with his arm, he impressed me yesterday as going in I was 75/25 Cassel/Tyrod and now it's 50/50. I sound like being overly critical and maybe I am but feel have to be as it's easy to miss things when you watch with your heart and not your head.

Edited by The Jokeman