EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

People have made their mind up about EJ already. There's no winning this argument even though the valid points are that he should get a shot with the 1's like was stated. He looked like an NFL quarterback with no help against a ****ty defense. A third string defense is typically way far ahead of a third string offense.

Here are the facts:

EJ was drafted to be developed into the quarterback of our future, Kevin Kolb went down, he had to start way earlier than anticipated and performed admirably for a rookie project quarterback.

EJ started last season until Orton picked up the offense and came in to start.

This was supposed to be an even quarterback battle. All three have performed well in all given opportunities. Tyrod got his chance with the 1's and 2's performed pretty well in both. Cassell performed with the 1's got his shot and performed well. EJ performed with the 3's and 2's and performed well.

It's clear this preseason is not entirely important with exception of the quarterback battle to the coaches. We're virtually playing none of our starting skill players next week so I don't see the harm in letting EJ go against a starting defense for at least a quarter maybe a quarter and a half and see how he performs.

The argument he's against three's is irrelevant because we haven't seen him against the 1's. But, he's looked like an NFL quarterback against these guys and there is no doubt he has improved.

Just to clarify I'm not anti-Tyrod or anti-Cassell. There's a misconception here you have to be one or the other. I want to win. 15 years is too long without the playoffs. But we're doing ourselves as a team and EJ a disservice if they don't even give him a chance against starters with the way he's played in all the game opportunities he's been given.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have made their mind up about EJ already. There's no winning this argument even though the valid points are that he should get a shot with the 1's like was stated. He looked like an NFL quarterback with no help against a ****ty defense. A third string defense is typically way far ahead of a third string offense.

Here are the facts:

EJ was drafted to be developed into the quarterback of our future, Kevin Kolb went down, he had to start way earlier than anticipated and performed admirably for a rookie project quarterback.

EJ started last season until Orton picked up the offense and came in to start.

This was supposed to be an even quarterback battle. All three have performed well in all given opportunities. Tyrod got his chance with the 1's and 2's performed pretty well in both. Cassell performed with the 1's got his shot and performed well. EJ performed with the 3's and 2's and performed well.

It's clear this preseason is not entirely important with exception of the quarterback battle to the coaches. We're virtually playing none of our starting skill players next week so I don't see the harm in letting EJ go against a starting defense for at least a quarter maybe a quarter and a half and see how he performs.

The argument he's against three's is irrelevant because we haven't seen him against the 1's. But, he's looked like an NFL quarterback against these guys and there is no doubt he has improved.

Just to clarify I'm not anti-Tyrod or anti-Cassell. There's a misconception here you have to be one or the other. I want to win. 15 years is too long without the playoffs. But we're doing ourselves as a team and EJ a disservice if they don't even give him a chance against starters with the way he's played in all the game opportunities he's been given.

EJ got the scrimmage with the ones.

i would like to see him with the 1's as well. the 3's didn't really help out much. the line in particular. i don't see the harm of giving him a couple drives or even a quarter with them. give him every chance to bury himself. besides preseason so far has just been people getting hurt like crazy. you'd think EJ haters would want him in there more.

EJ got the scrimmage with the ones.

The scrimmage was not a preseason game though. They also said he performed the best of the 3 at the scrimmage.

His upside is enormous. We can all see that when he's on he looks like a good NFL quarterback. Tyrod is flashy and Cassel is a somewhat proven NFL passer so I wouldn't be unhappy with any. I just don't want the coaches looking at the other two with rose colored glasses because of some disdain for Ej.

I think its clearly TT's job to lose. With that said, I think its a safe idea for the Bills to go into the regular season with all 3 QB's on the team. With Tyrods style of play, it is more likely than not that he will be injured at some point and one of the other two will have to step up. I still would prefer EJ starting over Cassel, who offers absolutely no upside or excitement with his play. Keep Cassel as permanent #2 and let him come off the bench in the middle of a game. Let EJ be #3 who gets elevated to #1 for the next weeks opponent so they can gameplan with him.

I like this a lot, it makes the most sense for our team. Especially with the first two opponents. We know with EJ or Cassel our defense will need to be on fire to beat Luck and Brady out of the gate. With Tyrods unknown and our weapons he might be able to win a shootout if need be.

Edited by CJallDAY

The EJ haters really baffle me. I haven't seen any practice video but if you break down all 22 of his preseason throws, there are maybe only 2-3 bad passes. He repeatedly hits his spot and the ball comes out with zip on a line. He has a big league arm and he's making the big league throws. He's making Thompson and Gragg look like stars. All behind a joke of an O line.

This isn't the same EJ we saw last year. EJ haters must not believe preseason games are as important as footage from one year old games. I just don't get you guys.

I'm not saying he should be anointed the starter but I am saying he needs reps with the 1s and if he does well it needs to be a hard decision on who starts.

This is my take as well.

If Tyrod plays well and is the choice, then so be it. But EJ is making a lot of good plays under trying circumstances and is not the failure he'd made out to be by so many commenters on the board. It's become a rote refrain in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Dr. K

The scrimmage was not a preseason game though. They also said he performed the best of the 3 at the scrimmage.

His upside is enormous. We can all see that when he's on he looks like a good NFL quarterback. Tyrod is flashy and Cassel is a somewhat proven NFL passer so I wouldn't be unhappy with any. I just don't want the coaches looking at the other two with rose colored glasses because of some disdain for Ej.

Who cares if it wasn't a preseason game? He played with the #1 offense against a #1 defense. He got time with them. To pretend he didn't and that there's a conspiracy against him is ludicrous, especially when he's only had a decent 4th Q of a preseason game since. Awesome. Jeff Tuel crushed it in the second half of a preseason game too.

Both QBs played well last night. But EJ had almost zero help. It seemed almost every play was a jail break. A few dropped catchable balls. And there was absolutely no running game. I think I only counted one positive running play when EJ was in there. The pass to Thompson in the endzone was a dime.

Both QBs played well last night. But EJ had almost zero help. It seemed almost every play was a jail break. A few dropped catchable balls. And there was absolutely no running game. I think I only counted one positive running play when EJ was in there. The pass to Thompson in the endzone was a dime.

Same thing I saw. E.J. has improved a lot.I would not cut him.

Who cares if it wasn't a preseason game? He played with the #1 offense against a #1 defense. He got time with them. To pretend he didn't and that there's a conspiracy against him is ludicrous, especially when he's only had a decent 4th Q of a preseason game since. Awesome. Jeff Tuel crushed it in the second half of a preseason game too.

I don't really expect much different from you. But a preseason game against a different team is different. EJ has played well against the 2's and the 3's. We're trying to find a starting quarterback between 1 of 3 guys the coaching staff says. So it's only logical EJ would get a chance unless he laid an egg which he has not.

Tuel was never in the equation to start.

I don't really expect much different from you. But a preseason game against a different team is different. EJ has played well against the 2's and the 3's. We're trying to find a starting quarterback between 1 of 3 guys the coaching staff says. So it's only logical EJ would get a chance unless he laid an egg which he has not.

How?

He got his chance. The coaches gave it to him. EJ with the scrimmage, Cassel with game 1 and Tyrod with game 2. That was the plan and that's what happened.

Edited by FireChan

Nailed it.

Familiarity with Roman's offense and his offseason work with DeBerg seem to now be paying dividends with improved performances. The guy has maintained a positive attitude and continued to work hard on his game. Good for him!