SI: Bills are a National Brand with Rex

@SInow

Doug Whaley: "Here it is in a nutshell: we're a national brand now with Rex" (by @DonBanks) http://on.si.com/1K4eszl

CMtchJhWwAAeJKs.jpg

Yeah it's funny but I do get the sense that the brand is no longer tarnished.

Rex may or may not succeed in Buffalo but he's made them relevant.

With Marrone back......even with improvements......nobody nationally cares about this team.

I don't particularly care about that but there is no doubt that they are a topic of conversation for the first time in maybe a decade or more.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not crapping on the parade, but there's more to our hype than just REX & us. Take a look at national publications predictions, up to and including the SB. All the same teams -and you know who they are. Well every year, some teams shocks the League -both good and bad. Saints were losers?? Even fresh off yet another SB, there's Wolves about regarding NE*. Their DBs are gone and Tommy Boy figures to read comic books til mid October. Suh in Miami and our new pieces -including Rex & staff are what pundits are focusing on to be the 'I told Ya so!' dark horse prediction.

Personally, I think they're vulnerable-but I'll believe it when it happens.

Not crapping on the parade, but there's more to our hype than just REX & us. Take a look at national publications predictions, up to and including the SB. All the same teams -and you know who they are. Well every year, some teams shocks the League -both good and bad. Saints were losers?? Even fresh off yet another SB, there's Wolves about regarding NE*. Their DBs are gone and Tommy Boy figures to read comic books til mid October. Suh in Miami and our new pieces -including Rex & staff are what pundits are focusing on to be the 'I told Ya so!' dark horse prediction.

Personally, I think they're vulnerable-but I'll believe it when it happens.

Yeah I personally think people are underestimating the talent on other teams around the NFL.

A couple really deep drafts in the past 4 years has really thickened up some thin rosters around the league.

Only a few of these loaded, up and coming teams are going to actually join the QB royalty teams in the playoffs this year.

The Bills just have to go out there and kick one asss at a time.

But it's not like it's hard to envision Rex losing.

His Monday meetings with the media after all the losses by his sad-sack teams past few years laid out the blueprint for what fans can expect if things go south.

But he has the talent on the roster and there is good momentum at the start at least.

I expect him to be very successful.

The Bills certainly have a lot more exposure now that Rex is HC. And while there was a hiccup (Kromer) and they've signed some guys with issues, thankfully they haven't been problems so far, and thankfully the Jets are who they are and people can't reasonably say that Rex was the responsible for their dysfunction.

It has less to do with where he coached than who the guy is and how he acts. It's really not rocket surgery, WEO.

I disagree. If he was a failure the past 4 years in Tampa or Jax, his act wouldn't have been so fresh by this off season. It would be seen (especially at this site) as self-caricature.

I disagree. If he was a failure the past 4 years in Tampa or Jax, his act wouldn't have been so fresh by this off season. It would be seen (especially at this site) as self-caricature.

It would entirely depend on whether or not, in this alternate version of things, Rex's team got on Hard Knocks. He's been a presence everywhere he's been -- not saying that makes him a good coach at all, just saying the guy knows how to work a room -- but it was the success of Hard Knocks that really made him a personality beyond football in mainstream America. If he were exposed on that kind of level, regardless of team, he's a hit in pop culture.

Edited by GreggyT

Dallas Americas team. Will be tough to replace!

Give Texas back to Mexico so then we will have a team in Mexico and get rid of Texas.

We LOST the war with Mexico.

Well, it's more like our GM telling us that the Bills are now a national brand.

And what is "at least two winning seasons as an NFL head coach"?

Since when did YOUR GM Kraft say that?

It would entirely depend on whether or not, in this alternate version of things, Rex's team got on Hard Knocks. He's been a presence everywhere he's been -- not saying that makes him a good coach at all, just saying the guy knows how to work a room -- but it was the success of Hard Knocks that really made him a personality beyond football in mainstream America. If he were exposed on that kind of level, regardless of team, he's a hit in pop culture.

2010 was a long time ago, as was hislast winning season as HC. His presence and personality became something of a joke the past several seasons on the Jets.

All that clowning around and regular guy stuff suggests an inner genius when you're winning. Not so much when the wins stop coming....

Give Texas back to Mexico so then we will have a team in Mexico and get rid of Texas.

We LOST the war with Mexico.

Since when did YOUR GM Kraft say that?

Wit makes you very uncomfortable, doesn't it...?

2010 was a long time ago, as was hislast winning season as HC. His presence and personality became something of a joke the past several seasons on the Jets.

All that clowning around and regular guy stuff suggests an inner genius when you're winning. Not so much when the wins stop coming....

In other words, if he had not come from the Jets, and instead had flamed out years ago on one of those other teams, would all eyes be on him now with the Bills?

Now you don't even know what argument you're making...

The question is whether or not Rex brings more attention to the Bills. It's clear he does. You somehow don't agree with this, making the argument that it's more due to where he came from (it's not, but I'll play along) rather than the man's personality itself. Being a "national brand" means that non football junkies in America recognize you. Nothing more. It's not about how good a person is at their job, it's about recognition by people who aren't the hardcore football junkies who don't care (or even know) Rex Ryan's career W-L record. They just know he's the funny coach from Hard Knocks with the potty mouth. Which is why, in your alternate universe scenario, whether or not he had flamed out in Jacksonville versus the Jets depends entirely upon whether or not he would have still been on Hard Knocks. That showcased his personality and is what made him a national brand, without it he's still Rex but he's not known to people who aren't football fans. But, if you wanted to be a WEO about it, you could make somewhat of an argument by saying had he coached in Jacksonville Hard Knocks never would have been interested in the first place.

Bottom line, your premise is faulty. What made Rex a national sensation was REX. Hell, the guy has an identical twin who also coaches in the league and still Rex is his own unique voice. That doesn't make him instantly a good coach... but you have to admit it's at least a little bit ridiculous to try to argue Rex's infectious personality hasn't played a major role in the Bills' sudden increase in national attention.

Edited by GreggyT

That was on the HBO show last night. LOL

my wife isn't much of a football fan but she puts up with me and my love for this team. she usually hounds me for wasting my time watching a bad team. "they aren't going to win anyways so what's the point?" is what she usually says. but at the pre-season game on friday she said "this feels different" and she was actually excited and into the game (she's now a Tyrod Taylor fan). she knows what Rex's truck looks like, she actually thinks it's exciting when they talk about us in SI for example. there's definitely an excitement around here that there hasn't been in a very long time, since i was a kid. i think Rex is a big reason why

diggz, we need to talk. We could very well be married to the same woman or they are twins separated at birth.

No question the spotlight is now on Buffalo because of Rex Ryan.

"If he wins in Buffalo, where coaching careers go to die, Ryan will see his name and clout grow exponentially bigger."

I really don't care how much national attention or respect we get.

I only care about how many games we win.

This!

diggz, we need to talk. We could very well be married to the same woman or they are twins separated at birth.

well listen, if we are going to share her let's put our heads together and come up with a schedule that works for both of us so we each have time to go to the gym or the sports bar and I haven't been fishing or golfing in a while so I think this could be beneficial for both of us! :lol:

Now you don't even know what argument you're making...

The question is whether or not Rex brings more attention to the Bills. It's clear he does. You somehow don't agree with this, making the argument that it's more due to where he came from (it's not, but I'll play along) rather than the man's personality itself. Being a "national brand" means that non football junkies in America recognize you. Nothing more. It's not about how good a person is at their job, it's about recognition by people who aren't the hardcore football junkies who don't care (or even know) Rex Ryan's career W-L record. They just know he's the funny coach from Hard Knocks with the potty mouth. Which is why, in your alternate universe scenario, whether or not he had flamed out in Jacksonville versus the Jets depends entirely upon whether or not he would have still been on Hard Knocks. That showcased his personality and is what made him a national brand, without it he's still Rex but he's not known to people who aren't football fans. But, if you wanted to be a WEO about it, you could make somewhat of an argument by saying had he coached in Jacksonville Hard Knocks never would have been interested in the first place.

Bottom line, your premise is faulty. What made Rex a national sensation was REX. Hell, the guy has an identical twin who also coaches in the league and still Rex is his own unique voice. That doesn't make him instantly a good coach... but you have to admit it's at least a little bit ridiculous to try to argue Rex's infectious personality hasn't played a major role in the Bills' sudden increase in national attention.

He wouldn't hae been on HArd Knocks if he coached in Jax.

Anyway, I would doubt anyone in SF, GB, Texas, Seattle, LA, Chicago, etc. think the Bills are more of a "national brand" than they were a year ago, Rex or not. I just don't hink a funny HC creates a national market or brand, in and of itself.