Car maintenance

What truck dosesn't take take 5 quarts??? And you always pick up an exrta quart, 6. Why is this a "Jeep thing."

Now, I am not sure what my imports take... But gotta be 4 or so? Even my old Isuzu took 5 quarts.

my truck takes 15 qts...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my truck takes 15 qts...

You replied:

"that's why I hate jeeps and their oil"

Yes... Yes your F-350... BUT that's your FORD diesel. What Jeep on the planet takes 15 quarts? That F-350 is a 6.7 litre diesel, pretty big engine. Why did you make the comment above about Jeeps? The Jeep 6.1 litre only holds 7 quarts. Shouldn't your comment have been:

"That's why I hate Fords and their oil."

May be time to leave here,,, I know the responses the instant I read the thread.

Same here! Like this one below:

That he got the deal of the century on a brake job! Gr8 going CBF! I should come up and use your mechanic!

I've done a couple things to my cars, front brakes on my van, ignition coils and plugs on my Honda, regular oil changes. Whoever spoke about YouTube is right. Basically anytime something needs to be fixed I YouTube it and see if it's worth the time/risk of doing it myself. If it's easy I go for it. If I have to take off too many parts or use weird tools I tap out and bring it to a guy.

I realize that mechanics need to make a living too but the labor rates they charge for some of these jobs are obscene. For example, they wanted $400 of labor to do the coils and plugs. I'm a complete novice and it took me 25 minutes total. That's robbery. The brakes took me an hour. Again that's me with no impact wrench or lift. Charging what they charge is just ridiculous for some of these easy tings. I like doing it myself if I can and spending some of the savings on better parts.

RE: parts, I love RockAuto. I can pick exactly what I want and the prices are great compared to a typical auto parts store.

Hitachi coils

Dealer - $110 each

AutoZone - $85 each

RockAuto - $45 each

Same part.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

well new break pads and I think this is the first time we have needed new breaks I have a 2010 Ford Focus

and sadly I dont know how to change my own oil lol

Go ahead and take away a man card.

I am great with electronics but not great at doing auto work

CBF

Consider your man card revoked.... Although, since you were upfront with us we will frame it and you can hang it somewhere so you can remember what once was.... Brakes/rotors and an oil change can be done at a leisurely pace with a 6 pack in about 2 hours.... Do yourself a favor- buy a wrench/socket set and a pair of channel locks.... To easy...

Also- it's significantly cheaper!!!! Oil brakes and rotors- $150-$175 for that little !@#$-us

Same here for the most part. I think I know how to put air in the tires as well....use the gauge and all that.

Pretty much my extent, too. I'll try little things, here and there. When I had the Jeep, I tried changing the Throttle Position Sensor, because the youtube video made it look super easy. Fuct it up. It was super easy for my mechanic and I paid him $25 for the 10 minutes it took him to put it in properly.

The window control switch on the driver's side of my Jetta is on the fritz. I checked youtube and figured out how to swap it out. That, I'll be able to do myself when I get around to buying the switch. I did a trial run and removed the old switch, with hopes that airing it out (It got wet when I left my windows open one day) would magically fix it. No dice. But now I know I can swap it out.

I'll always check youtube for the little stuff. But brakes, oil, etc .... I'll never NOT pay someone to do it for me.

Same here for the most part. I think I know how to put air in the tires as well....use the gauge and all that.

You and mead would like the new vehicles... They don't want you touching anything, especially the Euro automakers. The battery on the 2014+ MINI is buried behind a plastic case and cover under the hood, you have to take the hood weatherstripping back to access it. I was putting an SAE pigtail on the battery for a charger, I was scared that if I disconnected the battery, it would throw a code and I would have to take it to the dealer. Thankfully, on the positive terminal there was enough thread where I could just add the connection w/a metric nut picked up @ the hardware store. Funny thing, once you get access to the battery, guess what is hiding behind everything... The master cylinder for the brakes, they don't want you touching that too.

Basically mead is right, all they want you to have access to is washer fluid and possibly coolant and maybe oil filler cap. The underside is all covered up with a shroud and there are no dipsticks on the engine... Everything is measured and checked via the onboard computer... Oil, brakes, tire pressure, etc...

It is kinda nice... Until the thing gets f!@king old, the maker probably wants you to just trade it in! LoL...

Same with the brakes on the Cooper. My brother's girlfriend has a 2010 and if you do the brake job yourself, you will throw a check engine code. I think there is a part you have to buy from the dealer to reset the onboard diagnostics after the job is done.

You and mead would like the new vehicles... They don't want you touching anything, especially the Euro automakers. The battery on the 2014+ MINI is buried behind a plastic case and cover under the hood, you have to take the hood weatherstripping back to access it. I was putting an SAE pigtail on the battery for a charger, I was scared that if I disconnected the battery, it would throw a code and I would have to take it to the dealer. Thankfully, on the positive terminal there was enough thread where I could just add the connection w/a metric nut picked up @ the hardware store. Funny thing, once you get access to the battery, guess what is hiding behind everything... The master cylinder for the brakes, they don't want you touching that too.

Basically mead is right, all they want you to have access to is washer fluid and possibly coolant and maybe oil filler cap. The underside is all covered up with a shroud and there are no dipsticks on the engine... Everything is measured and checked via the onboard computer... Oil, brakes, tire pressure, etc...

It is kinda nice... Until the thing gets f!@king old, the maker probably wants you to just trade it in! LoL...

Same with the brakes on the Cooper. My brother's girlfriend has a 2010 and if you do the brake job yourself, you will throw a check engine code. I think there is a part you have to buy from the dealer to reset the onboard diagnostics after the job is done.

I never keep vehicles long enough so that they need major repairs. The only thing I had to do to my current vehicle is change the front brake pads and the windshield wipers a couple times. I pay off my current vehicle in February, and will immediately head to the dealership to get something new and shiny. Not trying to be a snob, but I don't like to fuss with vehicles.

Like George Carlin said...

" I drive kinda recklessly, I take a lot of chances, I never repair my vehicles, and I don't believe in traffic laws."

I never keep vehicles long enough so that they need major repairs. The only thing I had to do to my current vehicle is change the front brake pads and the windshield wipers a couple times. I pay off my current vehicle in February, and will immediately head to the dealership to get something new and shiny. Not trying to be a snob, but I don't like to fuss with vehicles.

Like George Carlin said...

" I drive kinda recklessly, I take a lot of chances, I never repair my vehicles, and I don't believe in traffic laws."

You are harming the environment. You are being the opposite of "green."

;-P ;-P

I am just messing w/you, I could care less if you crap all over the environment. It keeps the economy rolling. :-)

This summer I replaced the entire front end suspension on my step moms infitity and the front end on my pops dodge truck. I also replaced the rear brake pads and wheels cylinders on dad's truck. I'll never do drum brakes again, but the rest of it was kinda fun. And i saved them thousandth of dollars. Just dig in and most of the time you will learn it's not rocket surgery. The trick usually is acquiring the right tools.

What? I am recycling!

Nope. The footprint on a new vehicle is worse than fixing an older one... Even if that older vehicle gets way less fuel economy.

I am just trying to keep you "green." You don't want "global warming/climate change do you? :-P

My truck is going to need tires soon. Time to look at a new one.

I see you like global warming too.

J/K