Hammerstick's pre-pre-season 53 Man Roster

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what makes you think that Gray is a lock?

I think Roman will put a high value on his versatility lining up different places and his athleticism- he's truly a weapon. If his blocking is improved he's on his way to bring a very useful player and seems to be #2 on their depth chart at the moment.

I think Roman will put a high value on his versatility lining up different places and his athleticism- he's truly a weapon. If his blocking is improved he's on his way to bring a very useful player and seems to be #2 on their depth chart at the moment.

Fair points, I just believe that they've conducted TE rotations thus far has been somewhat meaniness, as it seems almost all the TEs have seen time with the 1s 2s and 3s. As KTD stated earlier, I think having versatility among the players is more important to Roman than having a Clay clone.

Fair points, I just believe that they've conducted TE rotations thus far has been somewhat meaniness, as it seems almost all the TEs have seen time with the 1s 2s and 3s. As KTD stated earlier, I think having versatility among the players is more important to Roman than having a Clay clone.

Yep. if anything, O'Leary is the Clay clone. He can play all three TE positions; he's just a rookie and needs some seasoning. I just don't see the advantages of keeping four TEs, which is one too many for most teams, and then having two of those four being the exact same kind of player, in Gray and Gragg.

Yep. if anything, O'Leary is the Clay clone. He can play all three TE positions; he's just a rookie and needs some seasoning. I just don't see the advantages of keeping four TEs, which is one too many for most teams, and then having two of those four being the exact same kind of player, in Gray and Gragg.

I see this strictly as an option only if they plan to utilize a lot of two TE sets, which I believe they will. If they keep three, I'd say mulligan is the short straw. I see his value in the run game and possibly ST (KR and FG), but lose interest of they only keep 3. Romans 6 man OLs can replace his blocking if need be. Tomorrow will be interesting for that position group

You may well be right about the rotations. Looking at the three categories of TEs Roman and KTD talked about, Clay satisfies all three, so they're all Clay clones in a way.

Roman loved his H-back types in SF and the ability to gain yards after the catch is huge for that kind of player. I like Gragg too I think he's proven he can be a useful receiver but still hold the opinion Gray is more versatile and more dangerous because of RAC. I don't know that Gray is really an inline guy though, which is why O'Leary has to show a real ability to contribute for me to cut Gragg. Jmo

I see this strictly as an option only if they plan to utilize a lot of two TE sets, which I believe they will. If they keep three, I'd say mulligan is the short straw. I see his value in the run game and possibly ST (KR and FG), but lose interest of they only keep 3. Romans 6 man OLs can replace his blocking if need be. Tomorrow will be interesting for that position group

Perhaps I didn't articulate that well. I see the advantages of having four TEs in what Roman wants to do, and now I think they will. But IF you are going to use four TEs, I don't see the advantage of having two guys who are the same and only do one thing really well (unless they can do all three like Clay). Have four guys that do different things.

Perhaps I didn't articulate that well. I see the advantages of having four TEs in what Roman wants to do, and now I think they will. But IF you are going to use four TEs, I don't see the advantage of having two guys who are the same and only do one thing really well (unless they can do all three like Clay). Have four guys that do different things.

Aside from Clay, none other these guys are real triple threats (maybe O Leary but he needs time).

So in that case do you keep one in line guy (mull) and one H back role (gray/Gragg), and try to Stash O Leary on the PS?

Aside from Clay, none other these guys are real triple threats (maybe O Leary but he needs time).

So in that case do you keep one in line guy (mull) and one H back role (gray/Gragg), and try to Stash O Leary on the PS?

I think if they keep three, it is Clay, O'Leary, and either Gray or Gragg. I don't think they want to risk losing O'Leary and Rex loves him. A team could easily put him on their 53 as their #3 TE. Then Roman uses Kujo or Henderson, whomever is the backup, in the two inline TE, or unbalanced lines that he likes to sporadically use.

Clay can play inline and so can O'Leary, he's just not great at it. But he's a baller. I think he stays but it's a tough call. We have a lot of them. Who would have thought we could have an ABUNDANCE of tight ends and we are in a position to have to cut a decent one.

I don't think O'Leary lasts on the PS.

If we do attempt to release him and stash him there, I think it would be telling, and I wouldn't be that upset about it. He came to a roster with huge question marks at TE, even with the Clay signing. If it's a talent thing, then there's no use holding out hope (though I do prefer his upside to a pure blocker like Mulligan).

Who would have thought we could have an ABUNDANCE of tight ends and we are in a position to have to cut a decent one.

Its an awesome change of pace from anything I've experienced as a Bills fan. My prediction is Gragg goes and the other 4 stay but Gragg is a useful player too. I think Roman will really like Gray. Interesting race

I think if they keep three, it is Clay, O'Leary, and either Gray or Gragg. I don't think they want to risk losing O'Leary and Rex loves him. A team could easily put him on their 53 as their #3 TE. Then Roman uses Kujo or Henderson, whomever is the backup, in the two inline TE, or unbalanced lines that he likes to sporadically use.

Clay can play inline and so can O'Leary, he's just not great at it. But he's a baller. I think he stays but it's a tough call. We have a lot of them. Who would have thought we could have an ABUNDANCE of tight ends and we are in a position to have to cut a decent one.

I agree that if they keep three, mulligan is expendable.

Its an awesome change of pace from anything I've experienced as a Bills fan. My prediction is Gragg goes and the other 4 stay but Gragg is a useful player too. I think Roman will really like Gray. Interesting race

I haven't heard any really negative notes about any of our TEs. So maybe it will really come down to who Roman likes better, not necessarily who is better.

I want four guys who can do the same things. That way when any of them are on the field the defense has to guess what the offense might be doing. As opposed to thinking, for instance, a Lee Smith is in the game so probably a running play, and be correct more often than not.

Gray, Gragg and O'Leary are closer to Clay than Mulligan. Unless Mulligan shows a more diverse game in pre-season.

Edited by purple haze

I want four guys who can do the same things. That way when any of them are on the field the defense has to guess what the offense might be doing. As opposed to thinking a LeevSmith is in the game so probably a running play, and be correct more often than not.

I think that's the beauty of having an actual coaching staff. We can have different style TEs and use them in multiple combinations, formations and plays, dependent on the opponent. Not running screens to Lee Smith will be a nice change of pace.

I want four guys who can do the same things. That way when any of them are on the field the defense has to guess what the offense might be doing. As opposed to thinking a LeevSmith is in the game so probably a running play, and be correct more often than not.

But youre not often going to have all four active let alone all four in on the same play. Two of the same players is redundant for the most part because we have Clay. We are banking on the fact that other team's defenses are not going to have the depth or versatility to counteract ours. Like they are going to see two TEs enter the game and immediately go into their two TE defense, and not the two TE where one is split and one is an HB versus inline defense. They just couldn't.

We are basically a power running team. Clay does everything well. Sometime you want a monster blocker in there. Sometimes you want two versatile players in there one of which will be Clay.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I think that's the beauty of having an actual coaching staff. We can have different style TEs and use them in multiple combinations, formations and plays, dependent on the opponent. Not running screens to Lee Smith will be a nice change of pace.

True. The good thing about Whaley's roster is some good players will have to be let go. The bad thing is many of them will be players we, as fans, have an affinity for.