Dan Carpenter injury (update - put on notice)

Maybe his focus isn't quite there.

@dancarpenterNFL

Today I had to do one of the hardest things I have ever done. RIP Rylee we love you and miss you! #11GreatYears

CN3BWDdUYAAsDN2.jpg

@KaelaCarpenter

She gave us 11 true years of pure friendship. Today she had to leave. We could never have asked for a better dog.... http://fb.me/38DGzWV8v

Wow, that would be a very bad day if he was cut today. My thoughts are with the Carpenters. It's never easy to lose a family member like that.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to know who they might think is a more viable option at this point.

@MatthewFairburn

From last night: Rex Ryan upset with Bills K Dan Carpenter, plans to explore other options http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/09/rex_ryan_upset_with_bills_kicker_dan_carpenter_says_team_will_explore_other_opti.html

Maybe his focus isn't quite there.

@dancarpenterNFL

Today I had to do one of the hardest things I have ever done. RIP Rylee we love you and miss you! #11GreatYears

CN3BWDdUYAAsDN2.jpg

@KaelaCarpenter

She gave us 11 true years of pure friendship. Today she had to leave. We could never have asked for a better dog.... http://fb.me/38DGzWV8v

Sal mentioned this a couple hours ago...Been there...It sucks...If you're human...and you love your animals...it's awfully tough to just put that aside and go about your business...At least for a few days it is... B-)

I wouldn't. He has a strong leg, but the accuracy is spotty at best based on what I've seen.

If we are going by what we've seen in the past, "I'm thinking why bother having the competition?" Isn't this to see if anyone has improved, or can rise to a new challenge?

That also got me to thinking, are there any "unknowns" available? Guys who have never given the NFL a shot, but who excelled in college?

As to whether Rex should back off a bit with his approach to Carpenter: There is no one way to deal with players. Some guys you use a velvet glove with others an iron fist. I just hope Rex is picking the right method with Dan, as he has used the velvet glove, for the most part, with the rest of the team.

One thing is for sure, I'd bring in some guys but my money would be on Carpenter.

Gay was 50% against Carolina. He makes 550K through 2017.

I say cut Carpenter, keep 1 kicker if we're only going to make 50%.

Ha! Yes make the standard based on one preseason game. Cut them all!

If we are going by what we've seen in the past, "I'm thinking why bother having the competition?" Isn't this to see if anyone has improved, or can rise to a new challenge?

That also got me to thinking, are there any "unknowns" available? Guys who have never given the NFL a shot, but who excelled in college?

As to whether Rex should back off a bit with his approach to Carpenter: There is no one way to deal with players. Some guys you use a velvet glove with others an iron fist. I just hope Rex is picking the right method with Dan, as he has used the velvet glove, for the most part, with the rest of the team.

One thing is for sure, I'd bring in some guys but my money would be on Carpenter.

With the season opener just nine days away, I'd put my money on Carpenter as opposed to holding an open audition or some competition just before the cutdown to 53 that has to happen by 4 PM tomorrow. JMO.

With the season opener just nine days away, I'd put my money on Carpenter as opposed to holding an open audition or some competition just before the cutdown to 53 that has to happen by 4 PM tomorrow. JMO.

You can still bring people in for an audition after the cutdown, no? I recall teams doing it during the season, from time to time.

You can still bring people in for an audition after the cutdown, no? I recall teams doing it during the season, from time to time.

Sure could. If Rex is serious then now is the time to do it, not after a miss costs the team a game.

Indeed...in fact I don't think it makes sense to do it now, as it's more likely that any kicker worth his salt is on a roster competing for a job.

Of course they can. I would not if I was making the call.

If I was the HC I would not have used the rhetoric Rex used, if I wasn't ready to back it up. That's just bad management/coaching in my book.

Then again, if I was the HC I probably would have been a little less obnoxious after the game. But that's what you get with Rex. An entertaining blow hard. If he can take the team to the promised land, I will learn to love it. But at heart, I can't stand the guy.

Indeed...in fact I don't think it makes sense to do it now, as it's more likely that any kicker worth his salt is on a roster competing for a job.

A good Enough Kicker that can do Kick-Offs and FGs is going to get cut in 30 hours.

You don't cut Carpenter or Gay before you have a plan for replacement but some of those cuts are going to be heading straight to OBD to try out.

Of course they can. I would not if I was making the call.

I agree Mr. 26. Kickers are generally head cases. It is not wise to denigrate your kicker publicly. It isn't going to result in better kicking. Carpenter is a clutch kicker. He has had an injury problem which has probably left him a little rusty. But his body of evidence shows him to be our best kicker in a long time. Please Rex - don't go off half cocked shooting from the hip. The one thing that I always felt confident in last year was when Carpenter lined up for a kick. He was as close to automatic as we could hope for. I luv ya Rex, but sometimes you talk too much.

A good Enough Kicker that can do Kick-Offs and FGs is going to get cut in 30 hours.

You don't cut Carpenter or Gay before you have a plan for replacement but some of those cuts are going to be heading straight to OBD to try out.

Rex could make a 2 for 1 deal here. Get a KO guy who isn't quite as good as Gay. A FG guy who isn't quite as good as Carpenter. And save a roster spot. Not sure that actually helps the team win games, but the roster would be more to Rex's (and most people's) liking.

Rex could make a 2 for 1 deal here. Get a KO guy who isn't quite as good as Gay. A FG guy who isn't quite as good as Carpenter. And save a roster spot. Not sure that actually helps the team win games, but the roster would be more to Rex's (and most people's) liking.

Thigpen helps the team win games.

Somehow he averages a 1st down on a punt return. Which is much better than our Kick Catchers of the past. Which helps us win games.

Thigpen returns Kick Offs like a pro, Follows the blockers, Follows the blockers then makes a cut. No Dancing around and hesitation.

Having Thigpen return Punts and Kick Offs saves wear and tear of our starting players. Having healthy starters helps the Bills win games.

If the team can keep Thigpen because they cut Carpenter and Gay after they find a kicker that can do both, I believe that helps the Bills win games.

Thigpen helps the team win games.

Somehow he averages a 1st down on a punt return. Which is much better than our Kick Catchers of the past. Which helps us win games.

Thigpen returns Kick Offs like a pro, Follows the blockers, Follows the blockers then makes a cut. No Dancing around and hesitation.

Having Thigpen return Punts and Kick Offs saves wear and tear of our starting players. Having healthy starters helps the Bills win games.

If the team can keep Thigpen because they cut Carpenter and Gay after they find a kicker that can do both, I believe that helps the Bills win games.

Finding a reliable kicker from available street free agents is unlikely. I doubt these moves would help win any games.