GOP DEBATES

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shields and brooks discussion after the most recent debate:

DAVID BROOKS: Well, Jeb Bush is part of a large group of people who are like the team at halftime who — like the Republican establishment, who feel like they’re down 50 points and they have decided they’re going to lose the game.

And that’s how the Republican establishment is right now. They don’t believe that Ted Cruz or Donald Trump can win. They think it could imperil their majorities in Congress, and yet they’re doing nothing about it.

JUDY WOODRUFF: But what could they do?

DAVID BROOKS: Well, I wish we had gray men in suits. We don’t have that.

But the donor class could do something. Frankly, the country is filled with state legislators who are Republicans, congressmen, senators, local committeemen, a lot of whom are in panic. And so maybe they should do something about it. Maybe they should have a MoveOn.org-type organization and get some rallying, which the other side has already done, and have a counterweight, so they don’t send the party into suicide.

And that might involve, not now, but after New Hampshire, winnowing the field, and donors and other people going and saying, we’re just going to pick this guy. We’re going to pick Rubio. I’m sorry, Jeb, you’re not going to be president. Christie, you can be secretary of treasury, but we’re going to get organized here and we’re not going to go quietly into the night.

much more here: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/shields-and-brooks-on-trump-vs-cruz-clintons-concern-over-sanders/

Edited by birdog1960

shields and brooks discussion after the most recent debate:

DAVID BROOKS: Well, Jeb Bush is part of a large group of people who are like the team at halftime who like the Republican establishment, who feel like theyre down 50 points and they have decided theyre going to lose the game.

And thats how the Republican establishment is right now. They dont believe that Ted Cruz or Donald Trump can win. They think it could imperil their majorities in Congress, and yet theyre doing nothing about it.

JUDY WOODRUFF: But what could they do?

DAVID BROOKS: Well, I wish we had gray men in suits. We dont have that.

But the donor class could do something. Frankly, the country is filled with state legislators who are Republicans, congressmen, senators, local committeemen, a lot of whom are in panic. And so maybe they should do something about it. Maybe they should have a MoveOn.org-type organization and get some rallying, which the other side has already done, and have a counterweight, so they dont send the party into suicide.

And that might involve, not now, but after New Hampshire, winnowing the field, and donors and other people going and saying, were just going to pick this guy. Were going to pick Rubio. Im sorry, Jeb, youre not going to be president. Christie, you can be secretary of treasury, but were going to get organized here and were not going to go quietly into the night.

much more here: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/shields-and-brooks-on-trump-vs-cruz-clintons-concern-over-sanders/

These guys (trump/Cruz/carson) all exist in one way or another because the conservative leaning voters CANNOT STAND the Republican establishment anymore.

The republicans currently in power campaign one way and promise us what we want, but once we elect them and they get into office govern as weaklings barely even challenging the progressive agenda and just going along to get along.

The main appeal of trump/carson/Cruz is voters feel they share the same values and ideals, that they are not establishment candidates and they are true to their beliefs they are campaigning upon.

The establishment created Franken-trump now it's time to pay the piper.

DAVID BROOKS: Well, I wish we had gray men in suits. We don’t have that.

But the donor class could do something.

Frankly, the country is filled with state legislators who are Republicans, congressmen, senators, local committeemen, a lot of whom are in panic.

And so maybe they should do something about it. Maybe they should have a MoveOn.org-type organization and get some rallying, which the other side has already done, and have a counterweight, so they don’t send the party into suicide.

David, David , David.

The country IS filled with state legislators, congressmen, and senators, and that has come about precisely because of Conservatives.

The idea that they are in a panic because the DC establishment is threatened is only something that a faux conservative inside the beltway fool like yourself would promote.

David, David , David.

The country IS filled with state legislators, congressmen, and senators, and that has come about precisely because of Conservatives.

The idea that they are in a panic because the DC establishment is threatened is only something that a faux conservative inside the beltway fool like yourself would promote.

I think he's right. this is suicide for the party. but the "donor class" has thrown in the towel. they think the demise of the party is inevitable. and neither trump nor cruz can win.

These guys (trump/Cruz/carson) all exist in one way or another because the conservative leaning voters CANNOT STAND the Republican establishment anymore.

The republicans currently in power campaign one way and promise us what we want, but once we elect them and they get into office govern as weaklings barely even challenging the progressive agenda and just going along to get along.

The main appeal of trump/carson/Cruz is voters feel they share the same values and ideals, that they are not establishment candidates and they are true to their beliefs they are campaigning upon.

The establishment created Franken-trump now it's time to pay the piper.

Kinda similar on the Dem side... the reason why Sanders is getting so popular.

No.

that is not true.

Donors quietly coming around...

the first two paragraphds of your link:

"Republican donors are quietly coming around to the idea that Donald Trump could be their party’s nominee for president.

While many major Republican donors still cannot abide the idea of Trump as their party’s 2016 standard-bearer — and some remain flat-out in denial about the strength of his candidacy — interviews with GOP business owners and CEOs in six states suggest shifting attitudes toward the controversial billionaire. "

hardly definitive evidence of widespread acceptance by the donor class. sounds more like bet hedging to me. we will see.

the first two paragraphds of your link:

"Republican donors are quietly coming around to the idea that Donald Trump could be their party’s nominee for president.

While many major Republican donors still cannot abide the idea of Trump as their party’s 2016 standard-bearer — and some remain flat-out in denial about the strength of his candidacy — interviews with GOP business owners and CEOs in six states suggest shifting attitudes toward the controversial billionaire. "

hardly definitive evidence of widespread acceptance by the donor class. sounds more like bet hedging to me. we will see.

Certainly not the same as your statement................. "but the "donor class" has thrown in the towel"

and from the following paragraphs of the article...................

“It was rough at the beginning,” McCutcheon said. “I had some of my friends in the party that were in the Jeb Bush group; they just wouldn’t talk to me.

“[but] I have been seeing a change where I believe that more of the longtime party people are starting to buy into the Trump idea that he can win. …

But Bazyk, like a growing number of his establishment peers, concluded that Trump is the only candidate with the “entrepreneurial spirit” to solve America’s “big problems.”

“Early on, many of my friends and associates, who have supported establishment candidates in the past, spoke of Trump as ‘a joke,’ ” Bazyk said. “They have recently changed their tune.”

Hedging...................maybe?

Quitting and suicide for the party......as you suggested......................hardly.

I think it's interesting that folks on both sides keep going farther away from the middle. Since BHO took office this country seems to get more fractured and divisive by the day. Its sad.

Statistically speaking, we've been getting more divisive since the 1980s, when the 24hour news cycle started up.

I can agree to that But it has exponentially increased in tempo since.

Trump is a hideous hermaphroditical character with neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

And Sanders is a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father.

We are always blinded by the arrogance that our time is the most interesting. It's why every doomsday prophet gets followers.

Or the media has increased in tempo since ;)

Or that's the game. Keep us fighting with ourselves over the differences in the two parties (who really aren't that different from each other at all in reality or practice) so that we don't wake up and realize how badly we're getting fuked every day. If we're too busy picking sides and calling the other side out, we don't have time (or the energy) to unify and take on the real issues of the day.