Dumping home phone?

Nervous Guy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot get rid of my landline.

Verizon has these bundle packages where it is more expensive to get rid of it. So, everytime I try, I am forced to keep it.

Same here...we have Cablevision for phone, broadband and TV so cutting the phone would hardly make a dent. Plus I live smack dab in the middle of one of few remaining dead zones located on the east coast. :doh:

Home phones just became popular out where I am.... Still trying to figure out what these cell phone things are all about....

Kidding....

Mrs Cletus and I haven't had a landline since 2006. Not one time since that time have I thought, "man, I wish I had a landline!"

Cut the cord!

Those of you who use Ooma, are you pretty happy with it?

We still have a land line as well, mostly for the same reasons as Exiled. Nice to have a line that works when the power is out, but I can think of only one time when that was useful. It's also nice to have a number that we can give to businesses instead of our cell numbers.

Now, of course, all we get are solicitations. I think my mother is the only one who calls that number. I'd gladly switch to Ooma if people are happy with it.

I initially went to VOIP with Vonage in 2009 and switched to Ooma in 2012. I'm completely satisfied with Ooma with regard to cost, voice quality, reliability, and features. Highly recommended.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

OldFartActionFig.jpg

Love the slogans. Specially the same old stories over and over.

I dont agree with new complaints. It's old and new complaints over and over. Mostly old ones. Life used to be cheap. etc etc.

Got Magic Jack a few years ago. Works good enough for me for the little I use it. Only costs under $20 per year. There is an app for iPad which makes it pretty convenient.

Yeah I have this too. I use it when im required to enter home phone # and know i will get sales calls. like online shopping stores that dont take paypal. it's basically just for telemarketers.

my credit card companies have that number too. you know, its my "for stupid people" #.

(And someone on tbd says, did you give the number to yourself yet?)

You seem pretty preoccupied with the Zombie attack. My question is, at that point who are you expecting to call?

Ha! I am not sure. Who's talking about making calls. You can "jump" a landline and use the voltage present on it... @ least it could charge something...

http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-Get-Emergency-Power-from-a-Phone-Line/

I dumped mine 4 years ago, then when I got cable for my house two years, Time Warner 'forced' me to get a landline as part of their bundling. Remember the Bill Cowher adds "Why pay for something you don't use?" Well they're making me pay. I have never used the landline and have no idea what the number is, but I have one.

I'm going to go to Time Warner again and try to get it deleted.

Just bought a place in DC. Cable internet $74/ month. Cables Internet plus basic TV $54 a month. Hmm, hard choice that one.

I initially went to VOIP with Vonage in 2009 and switched to Ooma in 2012. I'm completely satisfied with Ooma with regard to cost, voice quality, reliability, and features. Highly recommended.

Thanks! I think I might make the switch. Hard to argue with $3.85 a month.

I've never paid for a land line in my life.

You're also probably 13 1/2 years old.

Everyone over age 30 had a landline at one point. That and pay phones was all we had available. Cell phones didnt become crazy popular till 2000 or maybe even after that. 2005ish.

I haven't had a home phone in probably 15 years. Only issue I've had is when there's a major event (Hurricane Sandy, Power Outages on East Coast) and the networks tend to be over capacity.

While true, I feel like your likely to lose phone service in the larger incidents anyway

You're also probably 13 1/2 years old.

Everyone over age 30 had a landline at one point. That and pay phones was all we had available. Cell phones didnt become crazy popular till 2000 or maybe even after that. 2005ish.

But I'd venture that in the under 30/35 crowd most haven't owned one outside of their parents home

Phones can be in the home? Like in a wall?

We also give our plants water. Like water from a toilet.

;-P ;-P

But I'd venture that in the under 30/35 crowd most haven't owned one outside of their parents home

And I'd venture that mommy & daddy are still picking up the cell bill too! Heck, I know a couple that is almost 50 and their parents pay the cell bill. :-/