Would you, right now, trade EJ for Tannehill? Chapter 3

FireChan

119 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade EJ for Tanny?

• Yes
    • No

Maybe that is the confusion. That's kind of how I am interpreting it. "If the Dolphins called today and said we will give you Tannehill for EJ" would you pull the trigger? I'm not that concerned about his contract, that's the going rate for starters in this league.

well here's the thing. lets look at the Offense Whaley built just this past offseason shall we and then allow me to add Watkins.

I think at this point Bills would LOVE to have guy who has a high completion rate in short range. These players are exactly what Tannehill would excel at helping succeed..

Ground and pound and manage the ball. Perfect fit.

I am not sure we can even manage that right now.

advantage Ryan.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not that concerned about either of them.

It's amusing, how emotionally invested some of you are in the QB position.

Yeah you're right, it's not that important of a position.

We'd be surrendering the possibility of ever throwing the ball 20+ yards.

And I love how EJ Manuel is looking like he might not make it in the league at all but he could still develop pretty much every skill needed to play the QB position, yet Tannehill, who is already a serviceable starting QB in the league, has no chance of developing a better deep ball.

I suppose if you're arguing that you wouldn't trade Manuel for Tannehill because you wouldn't want to take on his contract and similarly, you wouldn't trade Chris Gragg for Tannehill, then I suppose that is a fair opinion to have. But if anyone really thinks that Manuel is a better QB than Tannehill or there is still a chance that he could be or the reason he's not already is because of how each QB has been "developed" etc., then that is a different conversation. When a guy can't spot wide open receivers when they are a secondary option and sails balls in 7-on-7 drills all summer, that is not a "development" issue. They might just suck. EJ Manuel might still suck if he were drafted by the 49ers and was developed under Bill Walsh and had Jerry Rice to throw to his whole career. This is something you might need to consider.

Also, which Bills QB's since Kelly do you think would have developed into franchise QB under different circumstances? Do you think there's a chance they have just been bad at drafting and/or they have gotten kind of unlucky?

color me blind

but didn't someone post stats comparing % complete and the two and they were pretty close?

Don't even mention passing yards because then you'd willingly trade Tanny for Wilson.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00.htm

Rating in yr 1 and 2 is within 2 points

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

color me blind

but didn't someone post stats comparing % complete and the two and they were pretty close?

Don't even mention passing yards because then you'd willingly trade Tanny for Wilson.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00.htm

Rating in yr 1 and 2 is within 2 points

Dude I didn't say anything about stats. My stance is clear. What's yours? How about this- money/contract is out of the equation. Both of them make exactly the same. Who would you rather have on your roster right now? Edited by metzelaars_lives

were is the hell yes option?

unfortunately Miami ain't trading

If I vote for player for player it's an easy yes but when look at the cap responsibility I'd vote no. Yet it's hard because Tannehill is in a spot now where he either steps up into being the next Eli/Rivers or the next Cutler/Matthew Stafford.

Edited by The Jokeman

Dude I didn't say anything about stats. My stance is clear. What's yours? How about this- money/contract is out of the equation. Both of them make exactly the same. Who would you rather have on your roster right now?

OMG Pray tell how else are you going to judge people? Looks? Girlfriends? Neck Size? SB's reached like Trent Dilfer?

whats mine? I'll tell you in 6 months

OMG Pray tell how else are you going to judge people? Looks? Girlfriends? Neck Size? SB's reached like Trent Dilfer?

whats mine? I'll tell you in 6 months

What are you talking about?

Me: I think it's pretty clear at this point that Tannehill is the guy you'd rather have on your roster.

You: Oh you wanna bring stats into this? Their stats are actually pretty close (what?) And something about Russell Wilson?

Me: I didn't say anything about stats. Tannehill is obviously better. Who do you think is better?

You: Then how else are you gonna compare them? I can't make a judgment as to who's better, it's still too early.

My response: Dude for f*^*'s sake, on the NFL Network this morning they're talking about Ryan Tannehill as a top tier fantasy QB- maybe a guy you take right after the elite 3-4 guys (of course you will tell me that fantasy isn't relevant, but there's your stats for ya) and meanwhile, EJ Manuel is literally fighting for his NFL career as we speak. Can you please take your head out of your Wheaties box for one second and realize how ridiculous your point of view would seem to anyone but you and like 15 other guys on this website? I'm saving it but we're this close to STOP TRYING TO MAKE EJ MANUEL HAPPEN. IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

And answer me this (I'm sure you won't): do you really think the Dolphins GM would go around saying that the Dolphins are in "quarterback purgatory?"

And I don't even like Tannehill that much! You know in Cuckoo's Nest when McMurphy is trying to play cards with the fellas and DeVito is trying to get in on the game and Mac tells him that he can't play and then he points to the other guys playing and says "these are the real people..." This is exactly how I feel about having this conversation with you and anyone else who thinks the jury is still out on who is going to be a better NFL QB, Ryan Tannehill or EJ Manuel. We get it, Manuel has this magical upside even though he wasn't even that good in college and Ryan Tannehill has already hit his ceiling even though he only started playing QB like five years ago. Again, do you want to join the real people? That's up to you.

I will look forward to you bolding a snippet of my post, taking it out of context, not reading the rest and then posting a response that doesn't address anything I've said or make any sense whatsoever.

If I vote for player for player it's an easy yes but when look at the cap responsibility I'd vote no. Yet it's hard because Tannehill is in a spot now where he either steps up into being the next Eli/Rivers or the next Cutler/Matthew Stafford.

That is a fair response up until where you lump Matthew Stafford with Jay Cutler. The Bills would be Super Bowl favorites with a healthy Matthew Stafford. They would be a playoff lock with Jay Cutler.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Tannehill was one game away from being benched for the season. He might not be much better than their back-up. I would take Matt Moore over Cassell or Taylor.

I wouldn't much care either way if you made the trade before Tannehill signed that contract. I wouldn't based on the fact EJ has had no coaching to work with. I think he still has a chance. But no way I make that deal now. Miami is screwed paying big dollars (though not insane money) to an average at best QB.

Look, Tannehill was already guaranteed ~$18M over 2015 and 2016 from his rookie deal. Yes, that was before the new contract.

They upped that figure and now he's guaranteed $25M over the next two years ($21.5M guaranteed plus a 2016 trigger of $3.5M). That's it. Basically $12.5M a year for two years. After that it becomes a yearly deal they can walk away from.

If he makes the leap and becomes a top-10 QB, everyone in their front office will be thrilled to pay him the rest of that big contract. If he flames out after 2 years, they can cut bait and escape cleanly. The new contract is simply a modern day "prove-it" type deal molded in the shape of Dalton and Kaepernick's contracts. They are only paying him ~$7M more than they were already going to have to pay him anyway, and now they control his future. If you think this contract is a huge burden on their payroll, you are a bit uninformed.

Metz .....

I'm saving it but we're this close to STOP TRYING TO MAKE EJ MANUEL HAPPEN. IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

we shall soon see, now won't we.

Both EJ and TT had good days today. TT won out because he didn't throw any INT's and EJ did, but EJ also had the only TD pass.

At this time, with this team I would NOT trade for any HIGH PRICED QB.

to do so would deplete a lot of very good talent.